Is it A muffler

Guest v11eric

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is it A muffler

• Is it A muffler
    • is it a X-over

Guest v11eric

Well it was a topic awile ago, just referd again.

In the meantime when Jaap get's back from the dealer whit the answers we can hold a poll

Guest Guest_Ed Vanaman

I just check mine, and the answer is....................................

It's a crossover. I can't find any sign of packing or restriction

inside it

Guest Jaap

I have now the Stucchi-like X-over with the original mufflers mounted. The 4000 rpm dip is back but not as deep as with both stock items mounted. Conclusion: it's a combinaton of both. But that's just my opinion.

Guest Jaap

Just picked up the original X-over at the dealers. I had to check with a flashlight but there is definitly dampening material inside this "toaster". It's made of perforated plate, just like the inside of many mufflers. However, I could stick a bent steel wire right through it so there is a direct flow.

Hope this helps.

The book "Guzziology" by the Moto Guzzi guru Dave Richardson from Seattle explains how later versions of X-over are actually another muffler made necessary by increasingly restrictive worldwide noise standards.

Before thinking about aftermarket cans it would be a good idea to substitute a non muffler crossover.

We are still lucky comparing to poor Swiss who get a catalytic converter built into their crossovers.