Sloppage sheet prototype?

pete roper

John, I can't answer your question about the Cafe Sport drain plug -- sorry. Mine's got a magnetic insert,

By break-in link, if you mean this: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everything he says, but I don't spend a lot of time wondering which is harder or softer, rings or (in the case of the Guzzi) the nickasil bore. As he says, the rings are worn to fit

Yes, that is the link I referred to.

I'm a believer in magnetic plugs, having used them since I learned about them in the 60's. The '98 Z28 I purchased came new with one. I changed the oil at 50 miles, and there was a beard of particles on the magnet. Changed oil again at 500, and found about 1/4 as much, so I changed it again at 1,000-almost nothing. At every 3,000 mile oil change thereafter, only a fine coating of extremely fine particles that wiped off like graphite. Given the agressive break in recommended by the link, I imagine at 20 miles and again at 100, 500, etc., I would expect to find plenty, although the nickel silicate alloy mentioned may not be magnetic. That still leaves the possibility of capturing particles from the rings and other ferrous parts. Of course, if one sees particles accumulating at an accelerated rate later in the motor's life, that's an indication of something seriously wearing out.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have my 10 W 30 oil for break in, and decided to measure the dipstick relationship to the oil level versus gasket. I drained sump and filter completely and took some measurements. I'm sure this has been done before, but I was surprised by my measurements because they indicated a much higher level than just the full mark with the dipstick not threaded in.

From the sump filter cover mounting surface to block gasket: 3.02"

From the sump filter cover mounting surface to bottom extreme of dipstick while screwed in: 1.13

The dipstick is at a 45 degree angle.

My calculations indicate that the oil would be 2.54" from the end of the dipstick when it is at the level of the gasket. That's 1.14 inches higher than the stock full mark!

I put in 3 quarts of oil, and ran the engine to fill the filter, then check the oil level with the dipstick screwed in: it came to 0.4 inches above the full mark! My manual calls for 3.5 liters, and 3 quarts is only 2.84 liters. Perhaps Guzzi includes oil in the cooler, etc., so the 3.5 liters is for a totaly engine.

I'm AMAZED by the BIG descrepanies between dipstick mark vs. manual vs. more oil required to reach the gasket level. What's the deal here? Shall I just put in 3.5 liters and use its mark on the dipstick? Or use my calculated mark to raise it to the block gasket?

HELP!

I put in 3 quarts of oil, and ran the engine to fill the filter, then check the oil level with the dipstick screwed in: it came to 0.4 inches above the full mark! My manual calls for 3.5 liters, and 3 quarts is only 2.84 liters. Perhaps Guzzi includes oil in the cooler, etc., so the 3.5 liters is for a totaly engine.

I'm AMAZED by the BIG descrepanies between dipstick mark vs. manual vs. more oil required to reach the gasket level. What's the deal here? Shall I just put in 3.5 liters and use its mark on the dipstick? Or use my calculated mark to raise it to the block gasket?

HELP!

Sorry, I can't be much help as I am perplexed.

It has been a while, but I recall the recommended capacity was very close to the high mark on the stick, screwed in.

I am also a little confused by the measurements you took.

Where is "the sump filter cover mounting surface"?

sumpscrfm0.jpg

The top of shown screen or bottom of it? Or somewhere else?

Sorry, I can't be much help as I am perplexed.

It has been a while, but I recall the recommended capacity was very close to the high mark on the stick, screwed in.

I am also a little confused by the measurements you took.

Where is "the sump filter cover mounting surface"?

sumpscrfm0.jpg

The top of shown screen or bottom of it? Or somewhere else?

None of the above. My reference point was the machined surface of the sump casting which forms the mating surface for the access cover under the oil filter. It's the cover which requires a 1-1/16 inch hex to unscrew to get to the disposable oil filter. The gasket I spoke of is not the one directly on top of the sump casting I refer to, but the gasket surface above that on the block. I'm assuming the upper gasket is the one where your stoppage sheet is intended to go, and that's the basis for my understanding for the ideal oil level: just under it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With the dipstick screwed in, 3 quarts already reaches 3/8 above the high mark.

Dipstick calibration results:

With a filter change, thorough draining of the sump, then adding 3.5 liters per the manual and running the engine long enough to fill the filter, the oil level reached 2.09" from the end of the dipstick. That's 0.69 higher than its full mark, but still 0.33 lower than the gasket along the dipstick, or 0.23" viertically.

This suggests that the dipstick calibration as supplied with the machine is incorrect. In another post, I recall it said the correct method is to measure with the dipstick not threaded in, opposite to the manual's instructions. That's about 0.5 inches higher, but still significantly lower than the 0.69 I measured. However, it's difficult to ensure the dipstick is parallel with the thread to get the right reading. I prefer the screwed in method, and plan to put two new marks on the dipstick: One for when the bike is perpendicular, and another when it is on the sidestand.