"choke" cable

Tom M

For what it's worth...

I recently figured out that my fast idle/choke wasn't working because the cable was broken :homer: . Since the cable sheath was fine I wanted to replace only the inner wire. I didn't have a suitable replacement in my bicycle cable collection so rather than ordering from Guzzi I hit the local bicycle shop and picked up a universal shifter inner cable for $5. It had 2 different swaged ends on it, one was close to what I needed. I snipped off the unneeded end, did a little filing on the remaining end and it fit perfectly. Per another thread here I switched the return spring with the seat latch spring while I was at it and everthing works great.

For what it's worth...

I recently figured out that my fast idle/choke wasn't working because the cable was broken :homer: . Since the cable sheath was fine I wanted to replace only the inner wire. I didn't have a suitable replacement in my bicycle cable collection so rather than ordering from Guzzi I hit the local bicycle shop and picked up a universal shifter inner cable for $5. It had 2 different swaged ends on it, one was close to what I needed. I snipped off the unneeded end, did a little filing on the remaining end and it fit perfectly. Per another thread here I switched the return spring with the seat latch spring while I was at it and everthing works great.

Related but unrelated... My son has a GS500 (his first bike, soon to be replaced by an SV650- can't get him to switch to a Guzzi) and it had many many "previous owner induced" problems right after he got it. Among them, the choke cable was mis-routed and had broken. I tried making a new cable end for it, but the sheath was broken in two places so it would pull open, just not push closed.

No problem- I looped a zip-tie through one end of the choke mechanism and told him just pull it gently when you start the bike... works great! Of course, now that the burned valves have been replaced, the carbs properly synched, adjusted, and jetted to match the aftermarket pipe/airbox/filter combo (see what I mean about the previous owner?) and the valves properly adjusted, it starts much easier anyway.