Buell Footpeg Results

Guest ckamin

Ryan,

The two main complaints on the Buell-Guzzi peg conversion is there is a bit of modification required to get the buell peg to fit on the Guzzi, And two; when installed on a Guzzi, the peg actually is shifted aft about an inch which is a bit too far for natural break/shifter foot placement unless you have size 13 dogs. If you were to design a nuetral drop where the peg was on line with the mounting bracket and the the pin and pivot point dimensions were the same as a Guzzi, I think for 70-80 you would have several takers as it would be an easy swap and save the embarassment of going to the Harly stealership to source parts :P

Ryan,

The two main complaints on the Buell-Guzzi peg conversion is there is a bit of modification required to get the buell peg to fit on the Guzzi, And two; when installed on a Guzzi, the peg actually is shifted aft about an inch which is a bit too far for natural break/shifter foot placement unless you have size 13 dogs. If you were to design a nuetral drop where the peg was on line with the mounting bracket and the the pin and pivot point dimensions were the same as a Guzzi, I think for 70-80 you would have several takers as it would be an easy swap and save the embarassment of going to the Harly stealership to source parts :P

How it moves it away from the controls is certainly one of my concerns.

I am hoping I can rotate the peg mount five to ten degrees to bring it forward a little.

Is that doable?

How it moves it away from the controls is certainly one of my concerns.

I am hoping I can rotate the peg mount five to ten degrees to bring it forward a little.

Is that doable?

I suppose you could rotate the bracket but it will rotate the peg from it's horozontal plane which will effect the hinge and foot placement. Also will cosmetically look a little off since the pork-chop has a matching "pad" area for the bracket. Although there is no drop, I guess you coul play with the idea with the guzzi pegs first :huh2:

well guys, if there is really enough demand, someone could send me a guzzi peg with some pictures of the area on the bike and what you are looking for, and I can make some custom for the guzzi. Im going to need to be able to sell at least 15 sets to make it worth my time and effort, but its definitely doable. I have an endless supply of resources in getting stuff custom made. So if you all have other ideas of things that will be in high demand, let me know.

So, Joe's Buell pegs arrived.

Installation was a piece of cake.

My Immediate impression after two one mile rides are that it is much more comfortable!

My knees feel more relaxed, I feel like I have more control of the bike and the right foot is no longer annoyed by the brake master. All from an inch move :D

Traction feels slightly better.

My size elevens (US) had no problem reaching controls.

Controls of course had to be lowered and that took some time to get right.

Rear brake was easy and I like how I now have to reach in a little to activate it.

The gear shifts are now done a little further out on the toe while before they were done at the foot where my toe begins...no problem, just different.

Gear shifter is at its limit for how low it can go and not hit the pork chop.

Some may find that too high, but it works well for me, especially when wearing large toed boots.

I did not find them to be too far back, but I found that if I choose I can rotate the mounts, but I'll have to grind the lip down that prevents them from rotating more than a couple degrees.

Thanks JoeV11!

EDIT

Here are some photos

Brake Lever side

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1861/buellpegrtk5.jpg

Gear Shifter side

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/6182/buellpeglca1.jpg

well guys, if there is really enough demand, someone could send me a guzzi peg with some pictures of the area on the bike and what you are looking for, and I can make some custom for the guzzi. Im going to need to be able to sell at least 15 sets to make it worth my time and effort, but its definitely doable. I have an endless supply of resources in getting stuff custom made. So if you all have other ideas of things that will be in high demand, let me know.

What might be easy to build is a mount for the peg mount that rotates.

Kind of like the Centauro peg, but less drastic, like maybe an adjustable 20-30mm change, so you could make it work with the stock foot controls.

Stock foot peg including mount could be retained, or upgraded to a nice generic billet alternative.

Hi Ryan,

Before jumping in to compete in the custom controls market, consider the Motobits offering by Greg Field and the ones I developed (see the "forward foot controls" thread in the Technical section). Generating sales of 15 sets may be found difficult. I've been at this for three months, and haven't reached 15 yet, in spite of great reports, and pricing which I have learned is very competitive. For me, it was started for personal benefit because I developed it for my own riding comfort to begin with and there was nothing like it at the time. Producing them for others was more practicing my art form (engineering) rather than a profit making enterprise.

If you decide to go into this for profit, my suggestion is to come up with something innovative, rather than a "me-too" product, and study the available alternatives beforehand. If you can do that, and are willing to invest in advertising and promotion, it might succeed. If not, try to identify a problem without a solution and solve it. I could be your first customer!

Cheers,

So if you all have other ideas of things that will be in high demand, let me know.

I have lots of low demand pipe dreams ideas! :cheese:

1. rotating foot peg mount. Not a big change, but could be inexpensive solution. Ryland's are an awesome solution, and very reasonably priced, but I prefer going downward and rearward, but I think more people prefer to go forward like a tonti cruiser.

The Buell solution certainly is not for everyone. Since the Buell footpeg solution, my foot has slipped off the rear brake a couple of times :homer:

2. Titanium rear sub-frame. (not much demand for that)

(could work really nice with Paul M's rear cowling in carbon fiber :food: )

3. A kit to make bike look more like V7 Sport, with side covers saddle, metal rear fender(I think V7 was in Chrome, but aluminum would be nicer) Alpina spoked wheels would be the icing on the cake!

4. Carbon fiber airbox with ram air, and more filter element area.

5. Frame reinforcement kits.

6. A kit to rubber mount clip ons....I can here the peanut gallery groaning :whistle:

7. Cush drive made of springs and oil dampers B)

8. Titanium axles. (My Ohlins equipped Guzzi can use Ducati front axle)

9. progressive shock linkage kit.

10. Longer swing arm (better for touring)

11+ etc.