Trip to Spain

staedtler

Howdy...

I'm thinking of doing a trip to Spain sometime next year...(it's gonna be so cool) not sure when, probably during low season and around a time of year when there's decent weather...i think i'll be sometime around september, i don't know.

Here's the deal...i'm not shipping the V11 with me but i need 2 wheels for sure...ideally, i'll fly to italy drop by the factory and ride to spain... :grin: but is not going to happen...

I think i'll just rent something in Spain, i guess in either Madrid or Barcelona, (who knows where i'll fly in...)

does anybody knows what kind of stuff is for rent out there? i'll assume there's plenty of beemers, and ...honda and the such.

I'll like to think i could rent a Multistrada or an ST3....you think? to be realistic, i probably will need something closer to a sport touring...(see i'm not going alone!, there's this hot babe i'm taking with me :P: )

i need her to be confy, and in a good mood... you know ;)

now, i know of people who goes there, buys a car, use it for their vacation and then sell it back to the dealer when they're done....could that be done for a bike? i have no idea... sounds cool though!

... any pointers?

I would avoid the south coast of Andalusia around Malaga. A concrete jungle of overdevelopment. A real eyesore. The mountains above the coast have some nice motorcycling roads like the one to Ronda.

By all means try to make it to the Alhambra in Granada. Positively beautiful.

:thumbsup: hey B, thanks for the pointers dude.....

orson, would you think that buying something vs renting have any advantages,...does it matter or make a difference? i checked out ducati madrid...they have some decent used bikes,... i think the insurance may be a bitch, instead of just renting something with all the coverage you can think of, that place does not seem to be renting ducs...

yes, Alhambra...a buddy of mine (the dude that has the 748) says it rocks. I wan't to check El Escorial...museo Del Prado in Madrid, Dali's house and La Sagrada familia in Barcelona and The Guggenheim in Bilbao....and that's kind of the main trip,...after that anything goes. Another friend says that Oviedo is a very, very cool town, i might have to check it out.... can't F*&^ wait! :P:

one more thing.....the running of the bulls in Pamplona seems to be in July... hmmm :grin:

(we might have to look into that)

I've been to this one in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico it was a blast, a couple of years ago too.... :grin: i did see a dude get horned badly by a bull about 6 ft away from me... right there, you appreciatte having had a couple of expressos right before The Encierro....i don't know if the dude made it, he got taken out of the barricades by paramedics.

it was exhilarating though!

orson, would you think that buying something vs renting have any advantages

I don't really know which is more advantageous. I would guess that renting would be way less hassle. Less red tape and all the insurance stuff would be taken care of.

While renting a Multistrada would be cool...don't be put off by beemers. I rented an RT1150 and came away extremely impressed with its prowess in the twisties! You can definitley enjoy a curvey road on one despite its looks :D

...and The Guggenheim in Bilbao....and that's kind of the main trip

If you're going north, the Picos de Europa area is a fine motorcycling destination. Galicia in the northwest is nice too.

If you like castles, follow the Duero River that runs east to west. It formed a natural defensive position and was the front line in the Moorish Wars for about a hundred years so, it has quite a few castles along its way.

those picos de Europa area looks to be great!! i was checking stuff up on google earth...

heck i might as well hang out by the Pyrenees and check out Andorra...those roads look great on googleearth :grin: ... ... :P:

andorra.jpg

check this bad boy out!!

andorra2.jpg

Hi Staedtler,

Andorra is absolutely great. First of all it's tax free, food and booze are plenty and the roads are made for motorcycling. Watch out for the local Gibernaus and Melandris on their Super Motards as they drive like madmen on crack. True! Same goes for lorry drivers who think they are born-again-Schumachers.

Don't drive the twisty roads at night unless you want to practice skydiving with your motorcycle. My wife and I were about to do it once but thank God we came to terms. The Spanish and French youngsters have a rather liberal relationship with alcohol and vehicles, so don't push your luck, please.

I can see Orson has already offered his advice and that's the man to listen to. I'm quite impressed with Orson's way of living: work hard and then take 5-6 weeks motorcycle vacation worldwide every year. Respect! :thumbsup:

Søren

The Spanish and French youngsters have a rather liberal relationship with alcohol and vehicles,

:grin: tell me about it....

and yes,.,..Orson is Da-Man!! (one day...one day :D )

I really can't wait..the whole northern region seems tailored for 2 wheels... :thumbsup:

twisties and boobies!....the only thing better than that is, twisting boobies! :grin:

2_tom_4050.jpg

twisties and boobies!....the only thing better than that is, twisting boobies! :grin:

....you pig :D

• 1 month later...

This is what I would do,

- fly into Barcelona in mid-October

- rent a bike and go north to the Pyrennees

- then south again to the lovely mountain roads in the province of Valencia

- and finish it with the MotoGP finale which is usally at the end of october in Valencia.

Pyrenees are great. A fantastic route is: Col d'Aspin/Col du Tourmalet/Col d'Aubisque via Pic du Midi de Bigorre (don't miss Pic du Midi: nearly 3,000m & you can ride a crazy hairpin dirt road to the top) - OK so it's in France...but only just!

KB :sun: .