Tyres and electrical tips

Guest phil c

Guest phil c

2 questions really. Black '00 v11sport, standard. Got a Pirelli Dragon on the back with plenty wear left but also noticed it has been plugged in the past and the plug tail is hanging out. Going on a tour soon, everyone happy with plugged tyres or would you change it before the tour? Nothing has happened in the 600 or so miles I've had it. If I change it is it recommneded to go down to a 160?

Have replaced all relays and noted there are some wire connectors that need pulling apart, cleaning and greasing. Also that some clusters of wires can lead to heat build up. Any preventative advice well received as I'm useless with electrics. :stupid:

Many thanks and looking forward to taking Bella abroad. :wub:

Phil C

You need this under "technical topics" to get replies I think. Dunno re plug but 160 will quicken up handling with no real downside as far as I know...unless you like slower handling of course...& availability...

Guest phil c

You need this under "technical topics" to get replies I think. Dunno re plug but 160 will quicken up handling with no real downside as far as I know...unless you like slower handling of course...& availability...

Thanks Baldini. Wrong time wrong place as usual!!

As far as the plug goes if it's centre of the tyre and a proper proffesional plug should last the life of the tyre.

I fitted a do it your self plug (rema) and it was supposed to be good for a couple of hundred miles and lowish speeds. I did a best part of a thousand miles on it (to get home tyre was shot then anyway) and allowed the speed to creep up straight away once I'd got it up to preasure. But had full guzzi paranoia on alert covering my rear though didn't notice the rear bearing go untill the noise :( .

I did notice that the protusion of the cut off did seem to be longer when I'd got home.

I'd suspect that your plug is a harder comound than the tyre so may not have worn down as much as the tyre. I'd supect if it got too long it could try and rip the plug out as opposed to just pulling it snug as it wouldn't be a radial pull but tangentaly. So I'd be tempted to trim it back, normally just proud.

Just check it regularly. I had ultra seal inside mine as well but the hole was too big so had to plug as well. you may wish to consider a similar treatment. But whilst tyres are expensive they are cheaper than dropping you bike at anything other than a standstill whilst sitting on it ablbe to cussion the landing with your body and then you may not be lucky with fairings or injury.

I put the ultra seal in after a puncture within 500miles of fitting a new tyre.

Pay your money make your choice - but confidence comes into a big part with tyres depending on your riding style and location.

Electrics - you seem to be on the right track.

Guest Mattress

If memory serves me right, when I lived in Australia it was not legal to plug a "tyre". Can't remember if this was motorcycle only or not. Any Ozzies out there? (please send me a VB care-package, I miss it so)

I know money can be tight sometimes. But do you really want to risk blow out, loss of control, damage to bike and body? Plus what about being intact but stranded for some time on your tour? That doesn't sound like fun.

A motorcycle needs two good appropriate tyres for safety and handling.

If it were me, I'd beg & borrow to get the quid for a new tyre. Best not to be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to my health/life.

Plus, it might be an opportunity to put a more "sport-touring" tyre on the rear. The new ones get great reviews. I still have my Metzler stock sport tyre on the rear and it is flat-ing out in the middle. There is just not enough curvy roads around me to even out the wear. My next set will sport-tourers.

If memory serves me right, when I lived in Australia it was not legal to plug a "tyre". Can't remember if this was motorcycle only or not. Any Ozzies out there? (please send me a VB care-package, I miss it so)

Hay Mat

Had myself a couple the other night,{VB'}s that is.As for plugs you can get them in any bike or car shop most of the time. cheers :bier: ps I'll have another couple for you tonight when I nock off.pps, always thinking of someone else,GILLY. :mg: