Had anyone done a mod on the kickstand

Guest jimjib

Guest jimjib

I guess 30mm is sort of the ball park for the front...but there is no more adjustment. The front end rides nice though...its just the back end thats harsh. I wonder if the shortish swingarm has something to do with this also.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So JimJib you meant 38 not 49, you said "38 not 48"

I think I got it now. And Hyper thinks you should have less sag in the front. That makes sense. Maybe enough preload to lift the bike maybe 6-8mm would help reduce your kickstand dragging problem, and better match the stiff rear end which might need a little less preloading.

As for that short rear swing arm; a short rear swing arm is going to limit suspension travel especially on a shaft drive bike. A longer swing arm would do two beneficial things. It would allow for longer travel, ie. more comfort and compliance with bumpy roads. It would allow you to keep your weight back further, which for me would keep me from having to splay my legs outside of the cylinders and also give me better leverage on handlebars. If I could put the rear end of the Quota on my bike, I would give up the paralever suspension for the added swing arm length and suspension travel. I like a long wheelbase, even if it is not as quick in the twisties.

I just ground my kickstand for the second time. Kinda scary as I kinda panicked and swung the turn a little wide. :doh: Time to shave another quarter inch off the rubber stopper and dial up the compression damping.

I am still not hitting the front, but it does not look like it is much further from scraping... :helmet:

Guest jimjib

I will have to go to stiffer springs, eventually, to get a better number in the front.

Speaking of quotas...how do you like yours. I am really curious as to how well it handles in the dirt as well as on the road.

Guest Scura Owner

As I have said before, my preload is max'ed out and I get a static sag of 25.5mm ((22 down + 29 up)/2). And a total sag aroung 48mm. Not enough pre-load adjustment (remember it comes with a stock setting of 13 out 15 turns for a rider weighing 150 lbs) and not high enough string rate.

Sorry to confuse you Jimjib. I don't own a Quota, but rather a 2000 v11s.

I have only sat on one and loved the ergonomics. If they had a stiffer front end, the 91HP engine, and lower dual pipes to make room for dual saddle bags, I would have bought one over my bike in a heart beat.

And speaking of weakly sprung front ends, from what I have heard the front springs on

the Quota are grossly under sprung. Way too much sag and high speed wobble issues...But that is easily fixable with new springs. I doubt the Quota has cornering clearance issues!