What's your garage or shop look like?

pShenk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find amazing is exactly how serious of a tinkerer's operation it is... I remember starting out with a simple set of hand tools, and now over there I've got access to everything from engine hoists to gas and wire feed welders to air grinders to a forklift. I've found over the past 10 years or so that I've started buying (little by little) industrial tools I never have to replace, and then, started into specialzed stuff: port-a-powers, pipe benders, 7" air grinders, etc. out of necessity for the latest scheme. The best part is that it's all operated on an extremely limited budget.

My father and I would hang out there on the weekends and do all kinds of crazy things; I've got an old Yamaha YZ50 with a 175cc CT1 motor in it :grin: , I've cut out and replaced the floors and trunk in the car on it's side, (it's basically stripped to the last bolt) and it's ready for reassembly. That shop has seen the transmission swaps for a truck and a 1967 Camaro, and the resurrection of many a dead motorcycle, some of which are still on the racks or floor waiting for further tinkering.

Fond memories, but I know the next time I head for home it will be there just as I left it, all the projects ready to be resumed, till then, I'm out here in NorCal without a garage of any kind; even the poor V11 has to sleep outside under a cover :( Such is life.....

Well yes, but just because I was moaning doesn't mean that there isn't some high-class garage space out there in Europe. Paul omitted to show his inner sanctum workshop when he posted above. In there, he makes sweet music with his Guzzi, as you can see.

I mean, mass produced posters of old MG line-ups are one thing, but lavishing 'real art' on your Guzzi ––– well, that's the European sensibility.

DSC00930.JPG

Hmm, is that carpet? Suspiciously looks like the guys own flat. <_ it doesn really help the space argument if your bike is roommate src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

But of course, there is NO question that the Europeans have us beat for style. Like I said... just look where we get our machines from :helmet::mg:

What I find amazing is exactly how serious of a tinkerer's operation it is... I remember starting out with a simple set of hand tools, and now over there I've got access to everything from engine hoists to gas and wire feed welders to air grinders to a forklift. I've found over the past 10 years or so that I've started buying (little by little) industrial tools I never have to replace, and then, started into specialzed stuff: port-a-powers, pipe benders, 7" air grinders, etc. out of necessity for the latest scheme. The best part is that it's all operated on an extremely limited budget.

My father and I would hang out there on the weekends and do all kinds of crazy things; I've got an old Yamaha YZ50 with a 175cc CT1 motor in it :grin: , I've cut out and replaced the floors and trunk in the car on it's side, (it's basically stripped to the last bolt) and it's ready for reassembly. That shop has seen the transmission swaps for a truck and a 1967 Camaro, and the resurrection of many a dead motorcycle, some of which are still on the racks or floor waiting for further tinkering.

Fond memories, but I know the next time I head for home it will be there just as I left it, all the projects ready to be resumed, till then, I'm out here in NorCal without a garage of any kind; even the poor V11 has to sleep outside under a cover :( Such is life.....

Sounds like it has a lot of memories, which makes it even cooler, I'm sure. Where in NorCal are you?

Hmm, is that carpet? Suspiciously looks like the guys own flat. <_ it doesn really help the space argument if your bike is roommate src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png" alt=":D">

wel here a picture to show the flat with garden:-)

After some hard work last weekend, I reorganized my shed, and I'm happy, I can now work on two sides of the bike

kamer.jpg

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

I'm down in near Monterey Bay. Looking through my old photo archive I've come across a some pics of my dirt bike and the v65 getting a needed makeover in comfortable surroundings.

yz50.jpg

v65inside.jpg

I suppose I'll have to hang the tapestries back up at the garage.. be a shame for the sparks off the welder to light one up though... :D

Enjoy!

This thread is certainly making me feel much better about my tumble-down garage/shop. ;)

I thought I was the only one working under these sorts of conditions...

garage1.jpg

...that's StogieBill, myself and Twist (L to R) trying to get the kill switch on my Le Mans hooked back up (don't ask).

wel here a picture to show the flat with garden:-)

After some hard work last weekend, I reorganized my shed, and I'm happy, I can now work on two sides of the bike

Ah ha. Great to see these photos as I had imagined that Paul must have an all-singing, all-dancing, fully kitted-out super shop. Just goes to show, it's not what you got – it's what you do with it. :thumbsup:

I had a pretty nice garage back in San Jose, and the garage in the rental here in Cary, NC has been packed tight with all our boxes from the move for the last year.

But... drum roll.... here is my new fantastic garage.

- 2 "car" Carriage House, vintage 1929

- Dirt floor

- No electricity

- Termite eaten 1929 vintage sliding doors

- Windows long since gone... just holes....

Awesome B)

Well, at least it will be all "restored" within the coming month or two. I already have someone recreating the doors, building some windows, electricity is run out to it underground, and have the concrete floor poured.

But it will still be on the small side compared to many shops, and never big enough for modern cars. So it will indeed be a workshop for projects, bikes, and the like :D

318_Summit_garage_1.jpg

318_Summit_garage_6.jpg

318_Summit_garage_7.jpg

P1000184.JPGThe shop. Used to be a tennant room but after I evicted her the room was no longer fit for habitation. I'm much happier with the space as heated workshop. Especially since the small single car garage already contains: a 16' classic wooden speedboat and trailer, a 1917 Peterborough canoe, a Duc 750GT, a Duc 450RT, three vintage 50hp Merc outboards, a 6hp Champion outboard, air compressor, a 1962 Pontiac six cylinder 261, a 62' T-10 Vette tranny, workbench, shelving (stuffed), grinder bench, and other large things that I have forgotten and haven't physically seem in years... but I know there's stuff in there the Smithsonian will want soon. :)

another view

P1000187.JPG

P1000186.JPG

Here are a few pics of when I was changing out the rear swingarm on my '01 aprilia SL mille with an '04 RSV mille swinger.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then there's the good life after aprilai! :drink:

image.jpg

My frankenyamaha is actually a 1980 YZ50 (Ebay, $20, no motor), the tank is from a yz60 (ebay, $5), the motor is a 175cc CT-2 (spares for my 1971 Yam CT1). I ended up doing a fair bit of cutting and welding to shoehorn that one in there, but that's why I love my shop so much... I was bored over a weekend and, and I was able to go over there with a plan in my mind and make it happen. The garage is such a magical place......

Guest Britcheflee

Greetings all-

Here's a glimpse into my humble workshop...

shopl.jpg

shopr.jpg

Shame it's now 2000+ miles from me. Note the two 2004 Guzzi lineup posters, and the 1973 MGB convertible turned on its side to save floor space! :grin:

Unfortunately it's not attached to my house, but at 6 miles drive it's convienent enough to be able to head over there for storage / fixing, plus it gets me out of the house.

These two images show the full width and about half the length. I will say that it's advantageous to have that kind of space for tinkering, as there I attempt stuff I never would have dreamed to think of at home... :luigi:

(And yes, I do have a lot of cleaning to do! :D )

Hi,

do I spot a couple of Kawasaki's in the background there? I have a kz 650B - have a misfire/stutter/dead spot on take off - have had it ballanced, carbs cleaned, points checked, carb mounts sealed up, carb caps renewed........what am I missing?

Lee