Usable Fuel

Gini Fata

The manuel says approximate 23l are in the fuel tank. Does anyone know how many liters are usable? I have run her as low as 20.5 liters with 15km/liter on the hiway and as low as 11 in town. Thanks Gini

In my book (and in the brochure) it states that the tank holds 21 litres, I use to fill it up when the lamp blinks. Usually I fill about 16 litres (after about 220 kms of driving), so theres about four litres in reserve, enough for about 60-80 kms. I have run as far as 260 kms on one tank, on a long run and still it wasnt quite empty.

Mine usually gives up at 280 - 300 km. I then refill about 18 litres. I don't think that 23 or even 21 l are correct.

The warning light comes up at 250 km.

BTW, I've been down to Mandello last weekend. 90% Autobahn, always between 150 km/h - 190 km/h. For 1335 km the V11 2000/green took 86 litres, means 15.5 km/litre.

Hubert

Mine usually gives up at 280 - 300 km. I then refill about 18 litres. I don't think that 23 or even 21 l are correct.

The warning light comes up at 250 km.

BTW, I've been down to Mandello last weekend. 90% Autobahn, always between 150 km/h - 190 km/h. For 1335 km the V11 2000/green took 86 litres, means 15.5 km/litre.

Hubert

44 mpg Not bad; in fact very good at those speeds. Are you sure?

Yes, I found it a bit surprising as well. From Lindau to Wuerzburg/Schweinfurt I was going really fast, about 180 all the time, in the middle of the night. Consumption was 7.3 l/100km or 13.7 km/l. I think that's not too bad either. Going at constant European speeds around 5.2 l/100 are enough for her. It's probably the old time color combo :)

And our good ol' european squish zone :) :) :)

There isn't really a useable reserve, unless you lay the bike over and do some mighty jiggling to get the trapped fuel to the useable side. You'd need to be desperate. There are some lengthy threads on the board, probably in the Tech forum, about tank capacity and some lash-ups to access the 'reserve'.

Right, I've had my dry a couple of times and measured the refill at 5.1 US gallons or 19.3 liters. This without sloshing the tank to get the fuel out of the right recess.

Right, I've had my dry a couple of times and measured the refill at 5.1 US gallons or 19.3 liters. This without sloshing the tank to get the fuel out of the right recess.

Last time I ran out I put in 5.0 US gallons. (filling till it reached bottom of filler doo dahd) I am sure I could have squeezed in about O.1 gallons.

There isn't really a useable reserve, unless you lay the bike over and do some mighty jiggling to get the trapped fuel to the useable side. You'd need to be desperate.

While I was hoofing it to the gas station after running dry about a mile from where I planned on filling, I realized that I had the tools to remove the tank in the tool kit and could have just popped off the tank, swished the trapped fuel into the feed side and put it back on again.

I needed the walk anyway.

Rj

While I was hoofing it to the gas station after running dry about a mile from where I planned on filling, I realized that I had the tools to remove the tank in the tool kit and could have just popped off the tank, swished the trapped fuel into the feed side and put it back on again.

I needed the walk anyway.

Rj

Would the swishing really work or would the regulator just dump it back to the right, I mean wrong, side?

When I started sputtering, I hiked over to the right to tilt it to the left, but it did not seem to help :cheese:

Luckilly I was only 200 meters down a gentle slope to the Shell station.

The slosh maneuver requires a lean angle of about 75 degrees (waaay over). The regulator does then begin returning fuel to the right side.

My theory is that less fuel is returned under full throttle; so, it's Tip-Slosh-WFO for 'reserve.'

I had the tools to remove the tank in the tool kit and could have just popped off the tank, swished the trapped fuel into the feed side and put it back on again.

Yep, I just didn't want to get into that. So much pain for so little gain. It would also be fairly easy to carry a small plastic pump, a big syringe or an eggcup. I haven't succumbed to the temptation - yet. :glare:

How many miles on a hip flask fill? ^_^

I've never had any trouble using all the gas in my tank. I have added more than 21 litres on 5 occasions. This has been at distances ranging from 205 to 299 km. I have never had to slosh or tip the bike over to use this fuel. My mileage is a bit low but it all makes sense when I do the maths using the following equation: Fuel use + tyre wear = fun factor. My present mileage is a low 7335 mile and I am on my third rear tyre. The bulk of this at addictive "recreational open road" speeds, next to no round town or commuting done here.

Rob

I've never had any trouble using all the gas in my tank. I have added more than 21 litres on 5 occasions. This has been at distances ranging from 205 to 299 km. I have never had to slosh or tip the bike over to use this fuel.

Hmmm... Your tank must be badly damaged :!: