'02 Scura Noise!!

mznyc

Hi,

Guzzi Nubie here.

Bought an 02 Scura with pawling spring replaced.

There is a lot of knocking/clanging noise from from trannnie/clutch area.Goes away when I pull in clutch or start rolling.Is this normal?

Please assume I know nothing of Guzzi mechanics and I won't be insulted by explaining things like I'm a three year old!.

Thanks,

Michael :homer:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Guzzi Nubie here.

Bought an 02 Scura with pawling spring replaced.

There is a lot of knocking/clanging noise from from trannnie/clutch area.Goes away when I pull in clutch or start rolling.Is this normal?

Please assume I know nothing of Guzzi mechanics and I won't be insulted by explaining things like I'm a three year old!.

Thanks,

Michael :homer:

Your bike has a single plate clutch. It makes a rattling sound in nuetral. When you pull the clutch handle in the rattle will stop. This is perfectly normal, however you have a Scura which may potentially have a very serious defect in the clutch. Your bike is probably just fine because thats what they sound like. I have the single plate clutch in mine & it makes a lot of noise too. There are lots of threads in this forum concerning your bike & its potential for what we call a "grenading clutch". Your best bet is to get a new aftermarket clutch put in eventually. Tell us how many miles it has & any other things you notice about the clutch.

Actually, that's pretty normal for the type of clutch you have in the Scura. It's a single plate type clutch as opposed to dual plate style that is found in most of the V11 variants and they are loud.

You can see some pictures of the internals of the two types on the mgcycle webpage (http://www.mgcycle.com/clutch.html) but it's not real useful if you don't know how a clutch is assembled. By the by, your clutch resembles the RAM clutch most closely.

However, you may or may not have a real problem. There is a documented history of a small fraction of Scura flywheels coming apart. If it comes apart...it could ruin your engine and ruin your day. Even if it's a small fraction, if it is you, then it is 100%. Do a search here for exploding clutch.

I don't wish to be a scare-monger but........

Seriously think about swapping for a twin plate clutch assembly.

Failure certainly appears to be a 'When' rather than 'If.' It is not even the fact that it fails bothered me, rather it was the spectacular mode of the potential failure.

Mine was not making any out of the ordinary noises, but when I removed the alloy flywheel I had it penetrant tested and it was starting to crack. :moon:

Budget for it and put it on as soon as convenient.

Other than this pretty major caveat,I have found it a belter of a bike! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

I don't wish to be a scare-monger but........

Seriously think about swapping for a twin plate clutch assembly.

Failure certainly appears to be a 'When' rather than 'If.' It is not even the fact that it fails bothered me, rather it was the spectacular mode of the potential failure.

Mine was not making any out of the ordinary noises, but when I removed the alloy flywheel I had it penetrant tested and it was starting to crack. :moon:

Budget for it and put it on as soon as convenient.

Other than this pretty major caveat,I have found it a belter of a bike! :thumbsup:

Nige. B)

Hi Guys,

Great info thanks!

I try to think of the Guzzi,I come from the reliable world of Japanese bikes,is like an italian woman.Sexy and in need of regular attention,but worth the trouble.

I had heard that they tended to be loud,but not from the forum,which I believe is a great source,despite are many different opinions.

The bike has under 10k miles,was well cared for.

Who makes and aftermark clutch for her?What does it invole to replace,time,cost,aggravation?

Thanks again!!

Michael

The clutch mounted on other v11 bikes will do. most do have a conventional 2 plate clutch. Do some searching here on clutch, or look here:

This was my scura:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1465

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2017

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...1&hl=clutch

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=clutch

Hi Guys,

Great info thanks!

I try to think of the Guzzi,I come from the reliable world of Japanese bikes,is like an italian woman.Sexy and in need of regular attention,but worth the trouble.

I had heard that they tended to be loud,but not from the forum,which I believe is a great source,despite are many different opinions.

The bike has under 10k miles,was well cared for.

Who makes and aftermark clutch for her?What does it invole to replace,time,cost,aggravation?

Thanks again!!

Michael

Hi Michael

I changed mine with 23000km's. It wasn't doing anything to silly, but very noisy,eg.clack,clack,clack. I found the clutch spline thingy to be very worn which makes it noisy.Then there was the flywheel, it had a crack just about from one side to the other,needless to say I am very glad I changed it when I did.

I replaced it with a RAM clutch,it comes with pressure plate and flywheel already balanced and it bolts straight in.To easy.

It took 1 arvo to take out and 1 arvo to put back 12hrs. Recon I could do it in 6 now I no what I am doing.$1250au. No more clack,clack,clack. do it as quick as you can.

All the best and good luck,you will learn a lot about your bike.

:drink: Gilly

It was a RAM clutch and you replaced it with a RAM clutch. You should know this. If you look for an aftermarket clutch you'll probably end up again with a RAM clutch.

Why not stick to Guzzi Quality and buy a second hand two disk version. The standard clutch for nearly 40 years now.

Hubert

It was a RAM clutch and you replaced it with a RAM clutch. You should know this. If you look for an aftermarket clutch you'll probably end up again with a RAM clutch.

Why not stick to Guzzi Quality and buy a second hand two disk version. The standard clutch for nearly 40 years now.

Hubert

Same name bigger teeth.Looks to be a lot stronger.Will let you no how its going after another 23000km.=2 years or before. :bike:

Hubert

My mechanic told me that RAM is similar to the original clutch of my Scura,but it is not the same. The RAM is a complete kit and it is perfectly balanced,and it shoudn't have problems.

I know that the two disk version perhaps is better,but it costs 1000 euro.....and above all I like as working the mono disk. By

Guzzi got RAM to make the single platers for the Scura etc, the problem was that the silly sods decided to re-design it and then get RAM to make it to their specs. The fact that the RAM unit had been around since Jesus was in nappies and worked just fine was of no consequence, Guzzi went ahead and stuffed about with it and their version breaks.

I've seen a couple of 'em let go now. When i was talking to Keith a few days ago I was strongly urging him to bin the Guzzi unit in his, I'd do the same to anyone with a Scura or (?) Tenni that has this unit but the RAM aftermarket unit is a HAPPY thing :thumbsup:

Pete