'02 Scura Noise!!

mznyc

Pete,

now that there are several Guzzi-RAM pictures available it would be nice if someone could post pix showing an aftermarket RAM example, at least the interesting because different parts. Do you have any available?

Hubert

mg1096620wry6.th.jpg

ramho1.th.jpg

This should be the RAM kit....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the splines of the friction plate have erroded is very reminicent of what happens to shallow spline Surflex plates for the early twin platers. In that case the damage occurs because the splines in the plate centres don't match the splines of the hub, they are about 1mm too long and considerably wider so there is more ability for them to rattle around on the hub. Pete

What do you suggest for 2 cluch plated bikes ,concerning friction clutch discs that fit? Do the original parts from Guzzi do the job better ,last longer?

The problem with the Surflex plates only, in my experience, effects the early, shallow spline, type. In the late eighties the company deepened the splines from 2mm to 4mm. It's only the early ones that chop out thusly. The best option with the early clutches is simply to replace the input hub with the later deep spline type and fit the deep splin friction plates. The deep spline design is also a lot less wear prone.

Pete

With the single plate clutches, especially those with very light flywheels, the damage does seem to occur quicker than with the twin platers. The last Scura clutch I saw had a bit of wear on the plate splines but the hub was really quite badly worn, this was at a comparatively low mileage. Why it should present like this I have no idea but sitting with the clutch pulled in for long periods at idle and a low idle speed will both contribute to premature wear.

Pete

Another factor may be the behaviour at tickover. If it is set too low with a light flywheel it is going to 'hunt.'

Nige. B)

sitting with the clutch pulled in for long periods at idle will contribute to premature wear.

You mean the clutch lever pulled in – or the clutch in, as in engaged, (and lever out) at idle?

It's noisiest with clutch engaged - lever out. Do you equate this noise with damaging action, or do you mean something else? Noise continues at higher revs, though appears worse at low idle speed.

Clutch lever in, clutch disengaged, cuts the noise – which gives the impression of being less damaging and for that reason I sometimes sit with lever pulled in, when at idle. You think that is wrong?

You mean the clutch lever pulled in – or the clutch in, as in engaged, (and lever out) at idle?

It's noisiest with clutch engaged - lever out. Do you equate this noise with damaging action, or do you mean something else? Noise continues at higher revs, though appears worse at low idle speed.

Clutch lever in, clutch disengaged, cuts the noise – which gives the impression of being less damaging and for that reason I sometimes sit with lever pulled in, when at idle. You think that is wrong?

I do that all the time,Does'nt seem to matter with the new one. :stupid:

Yes, meant this, worn out in a strange way. And for this big washer, I wondered whether all the edges are well rounded or if you can see burrs or sharp edges? I'd expect so called Coin Edges.

Does'nt seem to be.It realy looks in good condision.

It could be that this inner step is a big part of the problem. On the picture below you can see a fem study based on a rough estimation of how the wheel may look. You can see the stress concentration in the step area.

scheibestresslb3.jpg

Hubert

• 1 month later...

If anyone's still interested, I have heard of two more failures.

I have been told that the Scura clutch is based on the RAM design, MG purchasing some parts of the clutch assy from RAM but not all: RAM did not supply the flywheels . This fits with what we know so far.

If anyone has detailed photographs of any similar failures not yet posted here, I would be grateful if you would include them in a reply in this thread. Thank you.

KB :sun:

It could be that this inner step is a big part of the problem. On the picture below you can see a fem study based on a rough estimation of how the wheel may look. You can see the stress concentration in the step area.

scheibestresslb3.jpg

Hubert

When you set this up what rotational speed did you choose? Another thing is the FEM model will underestimate the problem as you get cyclic stresses from imbalance in the assembly 3D CAD models being perfectly symmetrical. You would be looking to see the predicted peak stress value being considerably below the fatigue service limit for the material for the expected number of cycles.

I saw a used clutch assembly from an Nero Corso with 8K miles on it for $285.00 US from a parts dealer with a good rep, as opposed to $500.00 for a new RAM.What do you guys think?I would assume fitting to the Scura wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Michael

Sorry to hear about your clutch Mark! Good luck with sourcing parts and the repairs!

Bla bla I would assume fitting to the Scura wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,

Michael

Yep thats' not problem my scura (#401, which was previously owned by Paul and is arriving in Australia as we speek) has the 2 plate no problems...

Ciao

jasper