Remove & Replace Frame Side-Plates

joe camarda

Has anyone removed and replaced the frame side-plates (that the footpegs mount onto) on their V11 Sport/LeMans? I'm considering a color change, but am wondering if the effort is worth it.

On another note, does anyone have a set of these frame plates to sell or to loan to me for several years :lol: ?

• 6 years later...
The OE pork chops are aluminum. They can be re-finished any way aluminum can be finished.

I will probably just polish mine, but I am still curious.

The ones I am thinking of are the billet aluminium ones (or maybe they are cast now that I look closer). I see them quite often on 8v guzzis and a few on v11s.

plates.jpg

Did these come stock on some bikes or are they an after-market item?

Frame Plates, Pork Chops, or Hams call them what you will. ;) I seen these in aluminum on some bikes. Will these aluminum "Pork Chops" bolt up to my original frame "2001 v11 sport"? Or are these frames completely different?

They'll bolt up, but they won't fit: they're machined w/ the offset for the old 5-spd gearbox and narrow [160] rear tire, so they won't work on your V11S, even tho' all the holes in them are the correct size & distance ctr 2 ctr.

The old billet pork chops sure look the t!ts, tho', don't they? :wub: At one point, I was determined to take a cad/cam class at the local junior college just so I could recreate them in the correct form to put on our later models, but work got in the way. Massive changes to the schedule there now due to the GFC, tho', so maybe I can do that someday after all? :luigi:

Has anyone removed and replaced the frame side-plates (that the footpegs mount onto) on their V11 Sport/LeMans? I'm considering a color change, but am wondering if the effort is worth it.

On another note, does anyone have a set of these frame plates to sell or to loan to me for several years :lol: ?

I took a crack at removing them last fall for a repaint. But I gave up taking them off all of the way as a couple of bolts around the big horizontal frame tube were very tough to get to, if I recall several other things needed to unbolt to get to them, so I masked off the surrounding areas (quite the job in itself) and sprayed them in place. I'd be interested if someone has any tips.

• 3 months later...

I took mine off to get them repowdercoated. They came off fairly easily after I built a 2x4 frame to hold the front of the bike up. The trick was getting the stub axles that hold the swing arm back in. Bodged them up trying to screw them back in after I remounted the pork chops. Luckily I was able remove the porkchops and thread the stub axles in from the inside of the pork chops them remount the pork chops.