'02 engine case paint problems still being fixed by MG?

Guest John

So was it one , in one model , and not many in various models.

To make the long story short , people like to spread bad rummors about something, without really being a problem and that's wrong.

IMO, under Aprilia ownership, Guzzi had some of it's worst times (OK it was updated though, on some sectors) but there were a few little things that weren't taken care off, like the peeling off paint .

napalm_DM_SD_04_00733.jpg

O.K., I need to respond to this, since it bears on something I posted:

I wasn't stating that there are known clutch failures in a bunch of different models, just that the only Guzzis w/ aluminum clutches are the Tennis, Scuras, & RMs. This is a factual statement.

There have been multiple [not many, but in Guzzi limited production numbers, any is a significant #!] Scuras w/ the catastrophic clutch failures reported. That's not spreading bad rumours, it's a statement of fact.

Making an intentionally lightened part that is repetitively subjected to LARGE centrifugal forces out of aluminum means you must have a reduced expectation for service life vs. the same part made of steel OR make certain you've got the engineering & production right. What about titanium? Same thing, I think, except nobody is going to pay for it, Guzzis are already ex$pen$ive enough for the level of technology they deliver!.. ;) At any rate, not rumour-mongering, just stating facts that the potential owner needs to be aware of when deciding on a bike...

Want a lighter clutch? I'd happily try one of Greg Field's stack of steel single-plate clutches [which should have a perfectly adequate service life when hydraulicly actuated, from reports by those w/ more expertise & closer to the problem than I] for the standard double-plate for lightness & rattle-elimination, and suspect that the owners of the bikes equipped with the aluminum clutch would appreciate the driveline smoothness of a heavier clutch [altho' whether they'd like it enough to give up the faster-revving of the lighter clutch is a different matter!]

As for Aprilia, their big mistake was trying to play in MotoGP & pouring money they didn't have down that financial black hole instead of consolidating their gains by getting Guzzi profitable and focussing on WSB, where they would have been able to compete effectively. Aprilia did very well by Guzzi, and things could have been very different from what they are. Has Piaggio shown significantly better management so far than did Aprilia in it's first 2 years in charge of Moto Guzzi? :huh2:

Ride on,

:mg:

O.K., I need to respond to this, since it bears on something I posted:

I wasn't stating that there are known clutch failures in a bunch of different models, just that the only Guzzis w/ aluminum clutches are the Tennis, Scuras, & RMs. This is a factual statement.

There have been multiple [not many, but in Guzzi limited production numbers, any is a significant #!] Scuras w/ the catastrophic clutch failures reported. That's not spreading bad rumours, it's a statement of fact.

If you noticed i wasn't stated like that but : ''on some models' so there isn't some models , but only on the Scura happened. Aluminium isn't the best materiel that one can use on the Clutch BUT IS NOT THE MAIN MATERIAL that Guzzi is using on their clutches , as well

So quite simply put , one can say as a piece of :2c: advice.:'' Don't buy a Scura with aluminium clutch if you want to be more confident about not having a clutch failure'' Further more other models with alum. clutch never had any failures but you can replace the clutch with a V11 Lemans one , if you want to have your mind at ease.

There are cluches made of Ergal and some people have used them in their Guzzis , some have been broken (or exploded) and some not. IMO steel ones are better , but then again come to the steel quality (se below) And quality contronl in parts is another 'can of worms' perhaps.

Definatelly I wouldn't expect Guzzi (or other companies) to be as strict and demanding as Breitling for instance (they make watches..heh).

I agree with your previous infos about aluminium and it'S use. Titanium is a different metal, very light , antimagnetic, with an RC hardness around 35 has to be used only in certain areas where it's qualities are needed.. Steel though comes in many different qualities and hardnesses , and is a big art of how it is proscecced before anything is created. Simply put you can have a 440C or AUS8 and another 440C ,or AUS8 and be quite different in toughness,

Pratt lay. co. uk has some bolts and parts made out of A2 steel, according to the qualities of this steel I presume it is one of the BEST that can use for such parts ,It is quite hard ,and tough, but has tollerances to bending and so on and quite stainless as well.Some of the best knives are made out of this as well.

....no comment on the clutch issue, but regarding the defective fuzzy/textured paint on the 01 RM, 02 models, and 03 Sport Naked, this was generally covered as a warantee issue, not a recall.

So, although I cannot speak for all markets, since all of these bikes will generally be out of warrantee by this point, it is unlikely that MG will swap them out.

While one could possibly find a NOS model in a crate somewhere or on a showroom, I would still be quite surprised if the local importer or MG itself would support a case swap after this much time has passed.

Further, since MG itself has sold off many of the V11 parts(all?), new fuzzy warrantee cases... which were already rare as hens teeth.... are probably near unobtanium now.

And finally, my dealer went through 3 sets of warrantee cases that shipped cracked before getting one set that was only mildly dinged up due to totally negligent packing.

Sooooo, with all that said, I would still check with your local dealer to see if your bike has had the "swag"(various MG gear) claimed by a previous owner in lieu of the case swap, and if not, if you may be eligible. But I do recall that one of the requirements was that your cases had to be showing significant finish failure as well before they could file.

Bottom line, I think that with a bike more than a year out of warrantee now, and out of production, it would be a stretch that MG would do anything about the cases.

I hate to be a downer, but I think this is the scenario.

As for the clutch, as mentioned, unless you have a Scura, it is a non-issue... and even if you do have a Scura, it is probably still an unlikely one.

Good luck!

Al