Torque Chart

Guest Mattress

Guest Mattress

Hi,

I copied the information found in the V11 workshop manual found on the angelfire site into a .pdf for the forum. (V11_Torque.pdf)

the description is pretty much straight carry over and I'm not familar with some of the fasteners. I take no responsibility for accuracy. If you see a max value and no min value, that means a single value was given. The rest are ranges. I know it is a little useless to carry out the lbf-ft to first decimal place, but hey, some folks just be uptight.........

Now, maybe someone can help me. for some silly reason I bought a pair of RACECO dual plugged cylinderheads (squarefin) with the casting numbers: 2802 2400, 2802 2300. Does anyone have an idea what engine model these were for? I'm not sure why I bought them. I fear a slippery slope of trick parts, plans for a custom build, and vaporizing $$$.

V11_Torque.pdf

Nice post.

Now, how knows the tourgue to be applied for tightening the oil filter?

Or is it just "experienced" hand,tightening situation

On my OEM UFI filter element, it specifies 10-12 newton-meters. Personally, I prefer the turns method. However, there is considerable controversy on the torque vs. turns method. For a thorough review, you might start with post #22 in the "Filter Cover Tool" thread and read on from there.

Nice post.

Now, how knows the tourgue to be applied for tightening the oil filter?

Or is it just "experienced" hand,tightening situation

I'm trying to quote from the V11 service manual but somehow it seems not to work.In any case it says you must "hand screw" to avoid overtightening. So there you go. :P

On my OEM UFI filter element, it specifies 10-12 newton-meters. Personally, I prefer the turns method. However, there is considerable controversy on the torque vs. turns method. For a thorough review, you might start with post #22 in the "Filter Cover Tool" thread and read on from there.

Thanks for the usefull tip and info.

Just 'cause I can't resist:

Got a call from a guy with a V11 LeMans and a roached motor last week, looking for a crank and rods.

You guessed it: The filter unscrewed and took out his whole motor. It was installed by a professional mechanic at a prominent dealer on the East Coast that he did name (it's not really germaine here, so I won't name them).

I forget this morning: Is that three or four V11s since this spring that I know of that were roached from this same cause, plus one Cali 1100?

PICT0006-5.jpg

Hose clamps, bubelahs, hose clamps.

Now, let the flaming begin . . . I don't care. (I'm now out of used cranks to sell y'all.)

:grin:

Got a call from a guy with a V11 LeMans and a roached motor last week, looking for a crank and rods.

You guessed it: The filter unscrewed and took out his whole motor. It was installed by a professional mechanic at a prominent dealer on the East Coast that he did name (it's not really germaine here, so I won't name them).

I forget this morning: Is that three or four V11s since this spring that I know of that were roached from this same cause, plus one Cali 1100?

PICT0006-5.jpg

Now, let the flaming begin . . . I don't care. (I'm now out of used cranks to sell y'all.)

Oh no, not another redundant debate ! If there is one, I'll stay on the sidelines this time. I've said all I care to on the previous thread.

Guest Mattress

I don't know the oil filter torque. I just copied the info from the torque specs page on the manual.

Well since this is a "redundant" post, FYI I ran down to the garage this morning, punched a hole through the side of my filter and safety wired it.

BTW, if the pressure regulator valve fails, could it cause enough pressure in the filter to distort it and allow it to loosen? We usually see the failure mode as stuck open on diesels, but that causes a loss of pressure and the calibration to shut it down.

I don't know the oil filter torque. I just copied the info from the torque specs page on the manual.

Well since this is a "redundant" post, FYI I ran down to the garage this morning, punched a hole through the side of my filter and safety wired it.

BTW, if the pressure regulator valve fails, could it cause enough pressure in the filter to distort it and allow it to loosen? We usually see the failure mode as stuck open on diesels, but that causes a loss of pressure and the calibration to shut it down.

We had one Sport come in that kept blowing out the rubber gaskets at the top of the filter within a week of adding a new filter. We opened up the relief valve to find that someone had "shimmed" the relief valve for higher pressure using a hex nut.

Guest ratchethack

FYI I ran down to the garage this morning, punched a hole through the side of my filter and safety wired it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFTTT!! Am I missing something here?? Wouldn't punching a hole result in instant oil pressure failure, same as if the filter backed off its seat?! :o:huh2:

PICT0006-5.jpg

OK Greg

You have my support on the hose clamp - kindly include one with the parts quote for the used crank, etc. If this is a somewhat common problem one might think Guzzi would address a design issue. The only other time I have heard of loosening oil filters is on my brother-in-law's Ford diesel truck - but hey, that was a Ford...

If this is a somewhat common problem one might think Guzzi would address a design issue. The only other time I have heard of loosening oil filters is on my brother-in-law's Ford diesel truck - but hey, that was a Ford...

This is NOT any kind of common problem. Though Guzzi have adressed the new sumps on he new models with exoternal oil filter.

I never consider adding any kind of collar to the filter, that perhaps is an even worse method on doing things better .

What I DO consider though is the option of adding an after market sump with external oil filter . c024.gif . Besides (AFAIK) it was Duilio Agostini who invented it so it's got to be something usefull.

I just have not figured out if is necesary and how the oil cooler can fit in the aftermarket sump with external oil filt..Perhaps get one with the filter coming out of the back...and further modify... :huh2: ....I hate mods...but if it is for the beter , then.. c024.gif

Have changed my filter and was tightened good, as it seemed 3/4-1 extra turn after it was starting to be tight in, was like the last time (as seeing the machanic doing it)