Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

90 members have voted

1. 1. Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

• Removed/Drilled Airbox Lid (i.e. FBF Kit)
    • Individual K&N Filter Pods

• 2 months later...
At last the pods is in place,

some plastic also got lost  :D

Filters are K&N RC-1200

10718[/snapback]

I would like to know if you got that pod on a website? If you did could you tell me how to get it? I've tried K&N's website & cant find it. Thanx Richard

You can goto thier contact information and order that part directly from K&N over the phone if you don't see it on-line I had to talk to them over the phone because I accidentaly ordered the wrong ones and they were very easy to work with. I wish I would have looked more into the Ram Air but I love the look of the pods

You can goto thier contact information and order that part directly from K&N over the phone if you don't see it on-line I had to talk to them over the phone because I accidentaly ordered the wrong ones and they were very easy to work with. I wish I would have looked more into the Ram Air but I love the look of the pods

44074[/snapback]

Thanx Ben :notworthy::thumbsup:

Or you can go with this ...

UNI  UP-6200AST  2 stage pod angled

16.95 ea

andy

44367[/snapback]

Wow :!: What are you doing to that poor bike? lol You didnt have one of those crappy flywheel/clutches did you? I like the price of that filter you have, but I think the K&N looks way cool & thats what I'm after. I was going to get a Hayabusa before I picked up my RM. The bike has good enough power, but I like it for the style & handmade exclusivity. :mg:

• 4 years later...

its been 5 years since anyone has posted on this thread. any new conclusions on the k&n pod vs stock setup?

i have been posting on the wildguzzi site for a few years. i can see from this site, the attitude about modifications to our guzzi's is different. more of a lets try it and see what happen rather than leave it alone, it works.

i ride a 2003 aluminium with hydro valves and fuel injected. i have been in the process of converting the bike to a old school/mid 70's style guzzi. i wanted to put a different fuel tank on the bike. the tanks available will not fit because the airbox is under the fuel tank. i was looking here to see if anyone has removed the stock airbox and replaced it with pods/k&n's. it looks like it is being done without any real issues.

its been 5 years since anyone has posted on this thread. any new conclusions on the k&n pod vs stock setup?

Well, newest conclusion seems to be that best power is attained by keeping the stock box & drilling the lid per Phil A's (? - sorry, it's been awhile) method [some dry-lake LSR racer friend of Roper's down under where since they're all upside down the blood rushes to their heads encouraging independent thinking: witness John Britten's success at making a ram-air system that improved aerodynamics, despite Gthyni's claims to the contrary at the start of this thread... ;)]

However, pods look so dang cool, and being right out where you can get at them may encourage more proper/frequent filter maintenance. They'll definitely upset your fueling map tho', so you'd better be prepared w/ a PC3 or some other mapping aid before you go down that route.

i ride a 2003 aluminium with hydro valves and fuel injected. i have been in the process of converting the bike to a old school/mid 70's style guzzi. i wanted to put a different fuel tank on the bike. the tanks available will not fit because the airbox is under the fuel tank. i was looking here to see if anyone has removed the stock airbox and replaced it with pods/k&n's. it looks like it is being done without any real issues.

Well,there you have it: you're working toward a particular look, regardless of performance f/x. Get the PC3 & go to town... :luigi:

:thumbsup:

Welcome OG.

Pods will flow more air but is it needed? A drilled box top will provide more air than a stock motor will ever use. If you are doing it for a look you just have to add enough fuel to keep the mix right.

The ony downside to pods IMO is increased intake roar. If you don't mind the noise go for it.

Well, newest conclusion seems to be that best power is attained by keeping the stock box & drilling the lid

They'll definitely upset your fueling map tho', so you'd better be prepared w/ a PC3 or some other mapping aid before you go down that route.

hmmm, if they upset the fuelmapping they do something to the airflow, which probably mean less restricted which if turn must mean more potenial top end power.

hmmm, if they upset the fuelmapping they do something to the airflow, which probably mean less restricted which if turn must mean more potenial top end power.

No, it just means that they've different flow rates across the range. I made no claims whether their need for mapping changes were due to being more or less restrictive, just that they'd require "rejetting." [Actually, they're both, depending upon where in the rpm range you are... which only stands to reason, as they'll profoundly affect harmonics vs. the airbox.] :nerd:

the aluminium has a 2 into 1 exhaust from todd at guzzi tech, k & n drop in air filter with the air box top chopped off, and a pc3 programmed by todd for the exhaust and air box mod. new springs and valves on front end and progressive 418 shocks on rear. the bikes runs great with the program todd put in the pc3. i agree with some of the post regarding the look of pods. i doubt my bike will ever be on the race track. as i posted earlier, i want to change fuel tanks and eliminate the under tank air box.

If you already have a less restrictive filter in the box and have had the motor adjusted for it pods should be a perfect fit. Just bin the airbox and attach the pods and go for a ride. I've had pods on my bike for as long as I've owned it and although you do have to adjust the fuel mix they work great. I love not having that airbox taking up all that space under my tank. To me it looks better, breathes better, weighs less, and maintenance is simpler. People will argue about the performance aspects and whether they clean the incoming air well enough. All I can say is its not a racebike, and clean and oil your filters every year and you'll be just fine.