Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

90 members have voted

1. 1. Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

• Removed/Drilled Airbox Lid (i.e. FBF Kit)
    • Individual K&N Filter Pods

I'll be looking into K&N''s sister product, AEM dry flow "oil-less" washable filters to replace the foam filters on the velocity stacks.  I used to have the big K&Ns like you ordered, which I liked a lot, but they won't fit with the velocity stacks fitted. 

K&N acquired AEM some years ago, but they don't seem to get quite the interest in the hot rod world, but are well regarded.

I have a big cone AEM on the XJR now.

I did 10k miles on mine with stock airbox/K&N filter. It was pretty well dialed in.
I wrung my hands and cut the top off the lid. Without changing anything on the map, it feels...brighter. 

This of course says nothing about the performance of pods, but I rode my '85 LM1000 35,000 miles with pods and the maintenance just sucks nails. Dirty all the time, squash after being off 30 times, and the worst thing was when it rained hard (South Florida- once got 8 inches in 10 hours) the water interfered with airflow enough to richen the thing into nearly fouling plugs. So I never considered them on the Sport, since none of my bikes are "Fair weather only".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mikko said:

I just pulled the airbox and installed K&N Filters.. seems to run just as good if not better. I also like to intake sound better then the holed lid mod from the PO. I did order the foul weather wrap so that should help.

84753416-F37A-40F6-BA0C-0853249C97BD_zps

Yes I like the look of the openess and filters,, but reading here,,, behavior seems more manageable without the skills to go inside the brain  (  Meinolf + others, Im not ) Tried to put Mistral crossover on my Greenie, yes more punch, but not rideable in normal traffic. Where did you put your temp sensor from the airfilter,, or did you ditch it ?  

Quess this is a keeper,  be fun to watch your dreams come true, and hoping you dont have to sit down to much,   deep breath and beer helps :mg:Ligther wheels  CF would probably have made a good feeling,,, in the curbs.  

No, just saying good luck  with the Scura,,,,,    I want one.

Cheers tom.

15 hours ago, Mikko said:

am planning on a pair of OEM OZ MGS-01 wheels

where ya find those? I went with Marvic Piumas when I couldn't find them anywhere. Contacted Bruno Saturno to see if he could scrounge them up for me but all he had available were his Kineo spoked wheels. Which are also very nice, but I prefer the look of mags on our bikes vs. spokes.

15 hours ago, docc said:

I would watch that vent filter for enough oily mess to drip.

My vent filter is still squeaky clean after a few years now. Maybe my bike isn't a squirter? When I do the Deep V sump mod, I intend to replace the stock oil return line with a clear PTFE hose, partly because I'm curious to see just how much oil really does come back through the breather. That said, when I removed the air box there was a good amount of oil pooled up in it. But my feeling is that the previous owners never cleaned it out in their 11 years of ownership...