Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

90 members have voted

1. 1. Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

• Removed/Drilled Airbox Lid (i.e. FBF Kit)
    • Individual K&N Filter Pods

Well this is all very interesting as I was thingking of modifying the air intake too but I don't want any excessive sound for the same reasons as Paul.

But I'm wondering, after 18 years of lengthy conversations with many (ship's) engineers I know one thing for sure:

any engine performs better with relative cold air in large quantities

and since they are always bitching and complaining about the difference in cylinder temperatures , I believe that this is also important, one reason why I think that any v-twin like a harley is a wrong concept and our v-twin is a better design.

so Al , in this set up the air is not too hot?

I agree with the arguments that ram air is just a hype as in the real world we'll never go that fast continuously to have much benefits

and indeed the computer needs to be very sophisticated.

So I would go for the pods , btw which K&N type does fit on a '03 V11 ??

ciao

Hi Rudy,

Well the pods I have are the newer models that have the "intake runner" already integral to the pod, as opposed to older pods that were simply cannister/cylinders that clamped onto the intake.

These filters have a about a 4 inch "runner" already molded into the filter, and have the runner angled such that the filter can be appropriately angled and adjusted to fit correctly by simply rotating the filter around.

The part number is: RU 1780

Very nice, but pricey, filter.

I'll be fine-tuning and cleaning-up the installation tonight and tomorrow, and then I'll post some final photos. I think that for what I'm looking for, this will work very well.

I was surprised how well it turned out if you want to know the truth :thumbsup: ...after all, it was just a "weekend hack project" that I was pretty sure would just end up being a mess, and I'd go back to my stock airbox with no lid ^_^

al

Well, I got it all hooked back up, and even though I forgot to reattach the air temp sensor :rolleyes: ... it ran fine. Great "sucking sounds" are coming from under and to the rear of the of the bike now :thumbsup:

I'm still reassembling bits from some of the other projects, so even though I haven't had a chance to run it around the block, it idles fine and seems to run without problem. I was actually quite surprised that it started right up with no drama considering everything that I unhooked, unplugged, etc. I was sure I'd forget some critical part.

Anyway, so I'll head down to the Dyno center in the next week or two and get the PCIII mapped, and hopefully it'll run like a champ, and I can "close the book" on this particular project :P

al

• 1 month later...
P.S. What/where do you do with the oil breather hose that was hooked to the airbox? This is the hose that comes from the banjo fitting on top of the spine at the very front of the tank.

Al,

what did you do with it?

Curious since I waiting for the pods I ordered.

...I installed the pods, see photos above ;)

I don't know which is really better, but the pods allowed me to ditch the airbox and free up a lot of room under the tank for better airflow and easy modification and maintenance. I suspect both the pods and airbox have their advantages, probably the difference between which I'll never notice on the street, only on a dyno.

So again I decided to change to the pods for the reasons above, and the fact that I think they look(even partially hidden) and sound great :thumbsup:

al

Guest Thundering Subash

By the way, can anyone tell what kind of cans this guy has on his bike? The air filter and exhaust modifications are a sweet combination. :food: