Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

90 members have voted

1. 1. Intake Mods: No "Lid" versus Pods

• Removed/Drilled Airbox Lid (i.e. FBF Kit)
    • Individual K&N Filter Pods

Well, newest conclusion seems to be that best power is attained by keeping the stock box & drilling the lid per Phil A's (? - sorry, it's been awhile) method [some dry-lake LSR racer friend of Roper's down under where since they're all upside down the blood rushes to their heads encouraging independent thinking: witness John Britten's success at making a ram-air system that improved aerodynamics, despite Gthyni's claims to the contrary at the start of this thread... ;)]

Since I happen to have the Phil A airbox mod threads bookmarked I might as well include the links in this one...

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12100&st=75

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8924&st=30

Drilled lid pic:

IMG_0541.jpg

Widened bellmouth pic:

IMG_0540.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, an almost EXACT 5 year "pause" in a thread.... that must be a record :huh:

Hey, Al's back!

Yep, 5 days over 5 years; isn't that something like 5 sidereal years exactly? I forget...

Well, you know what they say: time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana! [Actually drosophila prefer thin-skinned fruit, but whatever... :lol:]

Or as I say:

"Time flies when you're having fun... and even when you're not!"

;)

• 1 year later...

Hey, Al's back!

Yep, 5 days over 5 years; isn't that something like 5 sidereal years exactly? I forget...

Well, you know what they say: time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana! [Actually drosophila prefer thin-skinned fruit, but whatever... :lol:]

Or as I say:

;)

Yep, just goes to show, still relevant I guess for relative newbs like me to Di..d..MGland!

I've been reading all these "old" Lid/Pod post's - & gotta say too that that Ratch dude is just classic - he got (gives?) so much pleasure outta pulling the odd goatee here & there, did'nt he?

Has he died or just been spam banned? Invite him back I say, sure need some spark to light great fires to stand around & warm our great collective arses!

Anyhow, getting back to the inlet side of things I appreciate Phil A's improvement photos being reposted by Tom M, 'cos I'm fairly certain this, in conjuction with keeping a paper filter, is prob the most convincing proposition for me in the near future as I'm about to start on the whole PC-V or PC111 conund.. roadtrip thang!

Or any new thoughts now that things have moved on with 5 years more experience/observations?

• Like 1

Hey, Al's back!

Or as I say:

;)

Yep, just goes to show, still relevant I guess for relative newbs like me to Di..d..MGland!

I've been reading all these "old" Lid/Pod post's - & gotta say too that that Ratch dude is just classic - he got (gives?) so much pleasure outta pulling the odd goatee here & there, did'nt he?

Has he died or just been spam banned? Invite him back I say, sure need some spark to light great fires to stand around & warm our great collective arses!

Anyhow, getting back to the inlet side of things I appreciate Phil A's improvement photos being reposted by Tom M, 'cos I'm fairly certain this, in conjuction with keeping a paper filter, is prob the most convincing proposition for me in the near future as I'm about to start on the whole PC-V or PC111 conund.. roadtrip thang!

Or any new thoughts now that things have moved on with 5 years more experience/observations?

Ratchet has been banned. He could not keep himself from calling people on stuff and often times things got way out of hand. There were other antagonists who fueled the fire but escaped the executioner. Most of them have since stopped posting for one reason or another.

It is true, the pace has slowed here since.

Oh yeah.... He could polarize things !

We keep up in e-mails. He is a very intelligent person who truly wants to help people with their motorcycles.

Now, in the polical arena, he doesn't want you to have to guess how he feels. He is at one end of the spectrum and I am at the other. I respect his views and he does mine.

I had the K&N filters on mine for years and they were just fine. Then I recently aquired a pair of billet velocity stacks on ebay with the foam type filters. They also work just fine. The nice thing about them for me is you lose 5 pounds or so and you have much more and easier access to service the bike. Wether it makes the bike any faster is almost irrelevant to me.

Oh did I mention they make the bike LOOK faster and way cooler! B)

I had the K&N filters on mine for years and they were just fine. Then I recently aquired a pair of billet velocity stacks on ebay with the foam type filters. They also work just fine. The nice thing about them for me is you lose 5 pounds or so and you have much more and easier access to service the bike. Wether it makes the bike any faster is almost irrelevant to me.

You didn't think you were going to get away with that did you?

We want pictures :rasta:

Heres what my K&Ns look like

I extended them with the original intake rubbers, this made a huge difference to the power band.

Pods.jpg

And without socks

Pods2.jpg

If I were to do it again I would get the pods with a slight angle instead of straight ones.

The cable loom that used to run past the seat release lock is tucked up under the tank with the surplus where the air box used to be. I extended the breather down below the gearbox and finished it off with a crankcase breather, also from K&N

Neat shots on those bell mouths Tom! I did grab another lid in order to "adapt" an intake flow as I do have the larger intake valves and pistons ala Ferracci. Originally I intended to drill the lid but those bells make me want to pursue denser air from forward. Going to have to rethink it regarding ram-air uninfluenced by engine temperature. Cheers

• 5 months later...

wear does the air sencer go ???

I fixed mine to the spine frame in a sealed plastic film canister with a zip tie. Works fine there.

• 7 months later...

I just took my tank off to put my shock on right as someone previously had installed it upside down. Anyway my stock air filter is pretty dirty so it's time to replace it. I have the factory Ti exhaust and MG off road ecu. I'd really like to go with the pods just to unclutter everything but would consider a K&N w/o box top on my box. Can I get away with either one of these without having to get a PCIII ?

I just took my tank off to put my shock on right as someone previously had installed it upside down. Anyway my stock air filter is pretty dirty so it's time to replace it. I have the factory Ti exhaust and MG off road ecu. I'd really like to go with the pods just to unclutter everything but would consider a K&N w/o box top on my box. Can I get away with either one of these without having to get a PCIII ?

I don't know what the mapping is like on the "race" ECU, but on the stock one it was definitley too lean for mine. If you can't swing something like the MyECU, I'd say that with pods you'd at least want a PCIII.

I cut mine apart and extended it up the front of the tank, just ty-wrapped to the frame.

Take the lid and filter off, go run the bike and do a plug reading various RPMs. That will tell you whether or not the ECU can accommodate for the increase in air, or if you need to pop for a PC111 or like item.