What has gone wrong with your bike?

dlaing

69 members have voted

1. 1. What has gone wrong with your bike?

• brake noise, warp, etc
    • chipping paint
    • gear box failure
    • oil leaks
    • pinging popping sputtering(significantly)
    • starting problem
    • tachometer failure
    • tank suck
    • tire cupping
    • Other

Sorry I created a lousy poll. You can only answer one of the ten questions. So please mark the worst problem that you have experienced. I am curious about not only what can go wrong, but also what can you do to fix it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnInNH

Speedo cable drive at the transmission separates (friction fit) is also a known repetitive problem. Mine is JB Welded, and has a string tied to the cable and then to the transmission to hold it together. Looks funky! The JB Weld will not stick to the plastic, but I thought it MAY add edtra friction.

It's a $70 part, carry a spare. It's a bad design as the gears turn in the direction which puts upward force on the housing lifting it off the base of the assembly instead of pulling the assembly together. It needs a retaining clip or other such retaining device (my string) to keep it from separating. If your speedo goes dead look at the end at the tranny. If you did not loose the small white plastic worm gear ... just press it back together, till it works it's self apart again. Hense the string.

Guest jlburgess

Had tank suck (tip over valve), starting problem (clutch switch wiring), rear brake pad noise (getting better at ignoring it!).

Timing chain sprockets came off, transmission spring broke, leaking rear end seal, tank suck, several loose nuts

Hank

So, I've never heard this term before. What is "tank suck," and what causes it? What can you do to remedy it?

Tank suck is the result of the vent on the tank being plugged in some way. As you use up the fuel it creates a vacumn in the tank. The usual problem on Moto Guzzis is the tip over valve being in the wrong position. The purpose of the tip over valve is to prevent gas spillage if you drop the bike. Some have removed the tip over valve to cure the problem. If you hear a sucking sound when you open you tank after riding some distance you have the problem and it could cause tank damage.

I had a Ducati that had this problem when new and I quit running after about 40 Miles. The fuel pump could not overcome the vacumn.

Hank

What is the right position for the tip-over valve to be in? I assume this is some kind of one-way check ball valve, which suggests it probably has to be vertically oriented, with the air inlet facing up.

Vertically, I have been told. Haven't looked at it myself and my bike is still in the shop. The dealer has had it since a week ago Tuesday and as of this morning had not even ordered the parts to fix the timing chain problems. Of course I have know way of knowning if the parts are even available. The last time (transmission spring) I had to have a spring made myself (bike was down a week then). I have heard horror stories of bikes being out of service for parts up to 90 days. Oklahoma has a 45 day lemon law that requires complete refund including tag and tax (about $1000 here), but I hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't want my money back, I want a reliable LeMans (if there is such a thing).

Hank

Well, the dealer has finally ordered my parts and reports that 3 of the valves are on backorder and could 30 days or more. I have been in contact with Moto Guzzi customer service earlier, but will be calling them again tommorow and remind them of Oklahoma's lemon law of 45 days. So far my bike has been in the shop for a total of 3 weeks with warranty problems. The clock is running.

Anyone have similar problems may consult the following web site for lemon law info.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_Lemon.html

Hank

Thanks for the link Hank, that looks like a good resource. Looks like Washington (where I live) covers not only time (30 calendar days), but also repair attempts. Most interesting. I had been wondering what the lemon law was in this state.

I'm not pleased with all the QC problems I've read about the Guzzis so far, but I like the bike enough that I'm still going to give it a try. We'll see what happens.

At least you know where to look for problems. Give you bike a good going over. I might be even go as far as removing the timing cover and checking the sprocket nuts. This is the first I have mentioned this, but I heard that Moto Guzzi has experianced some labor problems and Italian workers are not above sabatoge.

Hank

Up under the tank, about 2 inches long, black. I have mine vertically lashed to the front engine mount when I removed my carbon cannister and all the associated vacuum hoses some time back.

The tip-over valve orientation has been inconclusively linked to the "vapor lock" issue that often comes up. So I'm hoping that my mounting it more permanently verticle, I can at least remove that variable from the mix.

al

I had the tank vacuum problem when the bike was new.Big problem, very strong vacuum after the ride.

I got rid of it totally, easily and permanently. What you should do is this:

1 - remove both carbon canisters, all the rubber hoses, three way unions, breather valve etc, etc. All this constitutes your evaporative emission system for USA. Put it all in a nice plastic bag and toss it far, far away not to be tempted with it anymore.

2 - make sure that two breathers under the tank are connected properly: the left one, which is your gasoline overflow if you fill up too much, has a thin rubber hose dumping your overflow under the engine on the back of your oil pan. The other is your tank vent and you can leave the white plastic spindle valve there. This one goes on the right side of the engine and should fit in a twin hose holder below.

Here, its done. From now on you will never know what's a vacuum problem or tank suck.