What has gone wrong with your bike?

dlaing

69 members have voted

1. 1. What has gone wrong with your bike?

• brake noise, warp, etc
    • chipping paint
    • gear box failure
    • oil leaks
    • pinging popping sputtering(significantly)
    • starting problem
    • tachometer failure
    • tank suck
    • tire cupping
    • Other

2000 v11/ tank suck/tach/warped front rotor/relays/drive shaft /engine ping. I removed tip over valve and all emissions related componets. The tach/front rotors/relays/drive shaft were all replaced under warranty. The pinging was taken care of by installing a Power Commander. Even though i did,nt buy bike from mph cycles they took care of all the work. I cant say enough good things about these guys/ wished all dealers were like this

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Foxbat

So far in my first 550 miles I have had the speedo die twice (Glad to see that is an easy fix), the gearbox pawl spring break (it took 6 weeks to get the part), and general fuelling problems - the bike is reluctant to tick over when first started from cold, stalls at rest when warm, and twice has refused to restart for a while after stalling.

The finish is very variable too. The engine and bodywork are great but various fastners and exposed alloy are rotting before my eyes. This is due to the Scottish weather though - it also ate the Triumph and the Kawasaki I had before the Le Mans.

My wife thinks I should trade it for a nice reliable Honda like hers, but even though it is the most annoying bike I've ever owned, I'm sticking with it. I guess there are just born Guzzisti and then everybody else :P

Andy

Guest mcloutier

Need a new category. Maybe I am the first? Absolutly nothing wrong or broken in my first 1,200 miles.

Michael Cloutier

Moses Lake, WA

02' LeMans

• 2 weeks later...

Thrown con rod, yes really!!!!! After only 4000 miles, while moderately accellerating, a clunk (not very loud considering the damage done!!!) and the engine locked up solid. No oil, or broken cases, strewn on the road - in fact just roled to a stop and got the recovery people to pick it up and deliver it to the dealers who supplied it. Investigation showed that a big end bolt had sheared with the result that the crank,crank cases, rod, 1 barrel & head completely destroyed - ie the the engine beyond economical repair. Top marks to Apprillia for covering everything on the warranty - new engine fitted and back on the road within 6 weeks!!!!!

I firmly believe that this really was a freak failure (bad component or 'Friday afternoon bike'??) and I am still chuffed with the bike. :(:(:(:(:wacko:

Guest Ed Vanaman

It's good to hear they got you running that quick.

My tranny broke a blocker ring and then chewed up the gears, forks, and shafts. They had me back on the road in less than a month.

From what I can tell MG parts are available quicker than Aprilia parts. I've been waiting a week and a half for a brake lever for my Mille R.

What is a blocker ring? It is a term I am not familiar with. My tranny is making a noise that I think is coming from the spring loaded shock adsorber on the output shaft. It makes a slight clank when the drive line takes up slack. I can only hear it when I don't wear a helmet. Wonder if the "blocker ring" is part of that assembly.

Hank Blackstock

http://www.corywest.com/

Hi Ed,

...glad to hear you received your MG parts so quickly :) Me, I've been waiting oh... 4 months and couting for my various warrantee items. I'm beginning to lose patience after being told several times that "the shipment is on the water"...

So to add to my newly developed rear tranny leak, I've now developed a pretty loud squeak coming from the swingarm/rear-suspension when I go over large enough bumps to make the suspension travel significantly :unsure:

al

Guest Ed Vanaman

The blocker ring goes in front of the gear and keeps the transmission in that gear after a shift. It looked to be made from brass. The transmission shifts much better than ever before after the rebuild.

Al,

What dealer are using? Uncommon Motorcycle in Erie Pa. did mine and had no problem with parts. I ordered some shirts, jacket and rear sets, they all came in just a couple days too.

Still trying to find a picture of the rear sets though, I don't think I got all the parts for the left side.

I also added a Corbin seat. What an improvement.

Ed V

Scura

On my 2002 Scura the black wrinkle finish paint is chipping in the front of the engine. Dealer told me to get touch up paint from Harley Davidson to fix, I told him to order a new part.

I just bought the Scura and it only has 50 miles on it. Wouldn’t you know it, I buy a new Guzzi and it rains for four straight days.

:doh:

My dealer is Moto Italia in San Mateo "the largest MG dealer in North America".... :P

But seriously, they are good guys. They do good work, etc... but they, like other dealers I've spoken to, have been in "limbo" for months(4 months and counting now) with any parts ordered from MG Italy. It's always "on the water", "stuck in customs", or otherwise screwed up because of the warehouse relocations after the Aprilia reorg... when they check with MG.

My parts are body panels which generally aren't stocked by anyone..

And in regard to the service, they have always been more than happy to "make things right", even for free when appropriate. But with the oil-leak, I had heard before that the service manuals were inaccurate in regard to quantities of oil, etc... and this leak is a common result. So this may have not been their fault completely.

Oh, and in regard to the paint bubbling/chipping... while I think you are completely justified in demanding a new part, this is a very common defect in the painted engines that everyone seems to encounter sooner or later. The only real "fix" I've heard is what your dealer suggested, which is to get the black "wrinkle" engine-paint from HD and touch it up :unsure:

al

• 1 month later...
Guest Squashed Nose

Water in headlight

Water in tachometer

Rear brake binding

Engine 'pinging'

Oil leak from crankcase

Replacement headlight has loose reflector

Seat popping up at catch

Starting problems (apparently the clutch switch was to blame)

Black engine finish bubbling and flaking

Kickstand grinding on lefthanders!

Smell of petrol under braking

Speedometer needle paint fading

Oil filter siezed in place

You may think this is a long list but all these problems are minor. The bike has never let me down (even the starting problems were a mere irritation. It always started after a couple of minutes fiddling).

I actually love my bike to bits.

Hey all,

I had the tank suck too, but because of cold weather (happened last winter) not while I was riding. I tossed the canisters, associated plumbing (I didn't throw them out though- I use the hose for gas line on my Eldorado!) and I removed the rubber seal for the tipover valve. yes, it may leak someday but so what. I just don't lean the bike over that far (unless I have a few g's to push the gas down!).

Other issues with the bike-

My headlight switch died. Dealer (Ned's, in Riverside, IA) replaced it promptly.

One relay died. Dealer replaced all of them on the spot.

I developed a crack in one of the side panels. Dealer ordered one up, and I got it 4 months later. I don't use the side panels any more (K&N pods), so no big deal.

He's been real good about fixing problems before they become a problem. Fixed my wife's Jackal by replacing a U-joint that was going bad, before I even noticed it. I had asked him to give it a once-over before warranty ran out.

The V11 has never failed to start (except for the relay thing- and that happened in the dealer parking lot!) and has never failed to run well. Knock on plastic.

Remember, all mechanical things tend to wear out. Keep an eye out for what you can, and preventative maintenance is far cheaper than a catastrophic failure. Like your Mom says- change oil and diapers regularly. OK, I'm paraphrasing.

Cheers,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Rear brake squall, poor idle/stalling - wide valve clearences solved, pinging - higher fuel pressure helped, blew out gasket on timing cover - dealer fixed in one week, had to have gasket air-mailed: excellent service, tank suck - removed tip over, tach fogging - haven't taken apart yet, speedo gear separted - pushed it back together 2000 miles ago hasn't repeated yet but I check it everytime I ride.

Still the most wonderful bike I have ever had. Character. Nothing but character.

Guest voigtstr

in chronological order

1 cracks in right hand side cover on delivery

2 side stand switch sticking in

3 pinging -> overheating -> unable to start or run bike until the bike cools down

4 pinging and back firing through thottlebody blew rubber manifold off throttle body (luckily still attached to cyclinder)