rare Dr John daytona

davidmcm

Do any of you know the specifications of the rare 1995 Dr John Daytona of which only twenty were built for the UK market? I know they come with a B kit, Carrillo rods and full Termignoni exhaust but beyond that not much is written on these all black bikes.

I have one for sale on the ads on this website.

I think you summed up all differences. OR does it have 320mm brakes oposed to the 300 from the daytona?

Once there was an article in fast bikes about it, I lost that, but it discribed the bike with nice pics.

Hi Paul, yes I remember that article and have a copy winging its way to me from the person who kept a register of the 20 owners originally.

There is a french Daytona website that has a copy of a letter of authenticity from the importer and a brief article from MCN suggesting it has gas flowed heads and high compression pistons (anybody confirm the latter?) along with a remapped ecu and foam air filters but it also says its 100bhp which is quite frankly baloney as it feels about the same as my 992cc V7 Sport classic racer and its got 75bhp at the back wheel.

The brakes are as per the cooking Daytona.

David

dr_john_side.jpg

As it has the B kit, it has the same things in it's engine as a Centauro. the c kit added other cams, and a fuel pressure regulator, with a different eprom. And as on on the picture, that can't be road legal for it's noise, or are the laws so easy in GB? The factory has used the normal daytona papers I suppose. What are the framenumbers from the 20, do you know?

KA 11111 KA 11802 Daytona 1000 I.E Single seater, 1993 - 1996

KA 15001 KA 15100 Daytona Racing

KA 30001 KA 33137 Daytona 1000 I.E. Biposta, 1993 - 1996

As it has the B kit, it has the same things in it's engine as a Centauro. the c kit added other cams, and a fuel pressure regulator, with a different eprom. And as on on the picture, that can't be road legal for it's noise, or are the laws so easy in GB? The factory has used the normal daytona papers I suppose. What are the framenumbers from the 20, do you know?

KA 11111 KA 11802 Daytona 1000 I.E Single seater, 1993 - 1996

KA 15001 KA 15100 Daytona Racing

KA 30001 KA 33137 Daytona 1000 I.E. Biposta, 1993 - 1996

Hi Paul, thanks for this info,

KA11791 is no 9 of 20 so from KA11782 to KA11802 may be the sequence although I don't know for certain. As I stated before there is someone who kept the register and had the frame numbers which mine checked with as no.9. What is slightly odd is that your single seater list goes up to 1996 but mine was first registered in 1995 even though the 791 seems to be at the very end of the number run and it wouldn't be the first time the UK importer though up a ruse to sell bikes at the end of a production run. Think black and gold Le Mans II.

I have been able to find a sympathetic Garage owner who knows how the bike was imported and as the Termignoni does not have any markings stating it is not for road use believes that the authorities must have approved them on entry to the country, however I wouldn't like to try my chances getting a road worthy certificate anywhere else as it does make a "challenging" sound.

regards

David

• 14 years later...

Hi All,

I have a Dr John in storage that I plan on bringing out to France and restoring. I believe it was 18 of 20 but I can not locate the paperwork. Does anyone have a list of engine / chassis numbers for the Dr Johns?

Cheers 

Peter S

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 2:36 AM, LowRyter said:

So what separates  the Dr John version from the other Daytonas?   I am understanding that none were imported to the US? 

My understanding is Yes none were imported to the US

AFAIK the Dr John was an attempt to increase sales of the "cooking" Daytona. Not long after the Daytona was launched Guzzi announced tuning kits for the engine, A B & C

The Dr John was a black B kitted Daytona, I don't know of any other changes

They were probably not imported to the US due to emissions and noise requirements. The Daytonas for the US and Switzerland had slightly different specs I think it was mainly the cams, although there were probably ECU changes as well.

Again this is just my understanding and not fact, but when the RS came out, a full C kitted Daytona the US didn't get the full blooded C kit either. Somebody with more knowledge might come along and confirm or correct that

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, PeterS said:

Hi All,

I have a Dr John in storage that I plan on bringing out to France and restoring. I believe it was 18 of 20 but I can not locate the paperwork. Does anyone have a list of engine / chassis numbers for the Dr Johns?

Cheers 

Peter S

Hi Peter,

I have sent you a private message, please check your messages on here!

Kind regards,

Tony.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, PeterS said:

Hi All,

Cheers 

Peter S

Peter S. I am the original owner of bike 18. I bought it from M&S M/Cycle. Newcastle-upon-Tyne. I was the guy who tried to log all the members and was in contact with Keith Davies of 3 Cross M/c who's idea the Dr John was. He supplied me with the engine Nos etc. If I can be of any assistance please get in touch. I sold the bike to a chap from Ilkley West Yorkshire. InPics_1619341123.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum.

PeterS hasn't been around since 2021, around two years ago, so not sure he will respond.

Sweet Guzzi, shame you don't have it anymore. Hopefully someone is enjoying it.