Starter problems

richard100t

My starter was beginning to make a funny noise at startup. I thought, oh great :( I'll be needing a new starter soon as I've heard people having trouble with them in here. Well I talked to a bmw mechanic about it & he said just grease the gear on the end of the starter. So I greased the starter gear & wow! I actually think the bike even runs better now. I'm thinking the gear was stuck or something. The bike spins faster to start & no funny noise anymore. I believe from now on thats going to be an annual maintenance procedure. :luigi: Has anyone else tried this cure for their starter yet?

Guest ratchethack

Richard, are you referring to greasing engagement pinion itself, or the sleeve on the "Bendix" -- that is, the part that extends the pinion by winding it into engagement with the flywheel?

Pls. advise.

Tx

My starter was beginning to make a funny noise at startup. I thought, oh great :( I'll be needing a new starter soon as I've heard people having trouble with them in here. Well I talked to a bmw mechanic about it & he said just grease the gear on the end of the starter. So I greased the starter gear & wow! I actually think the bike even runs better now. I'm thinking the gear was stuck or something. The bike spins faster to start & no funny noise anymore. I believe from now on thats going to be an annual maintenance procedure. :luigi: Has anyone else tried this cure for their starter yet?

Yes.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ost&p=91824

Thoroughly greased it. It stayed quiet for a while – and then started screeching again. Is that the noise that you mean?

Well mine only made a quick noise right as soon as the engine started. It was kind of hard to really hear what was going on because the noise only lasted for about 1 second & not every time I started it. I hope that the noise doesnt return but time will tell.

Guest ratchethack

Well mine only made a quick noise right as soon as the engine started. It was kind of hard to really hear what was going on because the noise only lasted for about 1 second & not every time I started it. I hope that the noise doesnt return but <shrug> time will tell.

From y'er description, my guess is that the "Bendix" (f'er those across the big waters, that's wot we call y'er garden variety winding-out-pinion-engaging gizmo here in the US) was binding, but I'm at a loss to understand how greasing the pinion could get the grease where it might do any good. . . . . :huh2: Working properly, the Bendix retracts the pinion instantly as soon as the tooth speed at the flywheel exceeds that of the pinion. . . . . -_-

• 5 months later...