Tighten Up Those Filters, Boys . . .

Greg Field

Lately you've been telling me what to do quite a few times!

Glad to see you're doing the right thing and following instructions.

It's only logical that you make me Chairman of the Board now.

:oldgit:<_>

:stupid:;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

... I remember tightening it when I fitted it...

As I do not always change the filter when I change the oil, I actually can't remember whether I tightened the filter enough the last time. I think it was in autumn 2005.

Remember: Never touch a running system! :oldgit:

Hubert

Guest motomentel

Heard of another V11 Sport today dead because the filter backed off. That makes three in the last month and two in the last week that I personally know of. He, too, called needing rod shells and bolts. Guzzi is out of rod bearings and rod bolts. Coincidence? You decide.

Tighten the filter well, and watch your oil light. It is also considered wise by some to use a hose clamp to be double-dog sure it won't come loose without your blessing.

I just change the oil and filter on the V11 Lemans it had a UFO filter the bike has just under 15000 miles I bought it with 14700 .The oil filter was finger tight I would say on the border of loose . I droped the pan found a clean clamp for the new filter and an hour later it was back together . Thanks for this site !!!! :bier:

For tightening recommendations, see the thread on oil filter tightening in the FAQ section. The Purolator part number equivalent is L10241. Tightening the UFI and Purolator filters to prevent loosening is different.

I have been using the Purolator equivalent since finding my UFI filter finger tight as the bike came from the factory. I tighten it with the method described in FAQ, change the filter removing the sump, and do not use a hose clamp. I researched the cause of this and the all too common incidents of the same problem with UFI filters to come up with the cause and recommendations.

I also analyzed the Wal Mart supplied filter.

Send me a personal message with any questions you may have on the research and its results.

John

After having a few filters working themselves loose, I use a filter tool with a metal strap around the filter.

Then I tighten until my face turns blue,and put on a hoseclamp.

No problems unscrewving the filter.

Better safe than sorry :oldgit:

• 2 weeks later...

Gary: "Also make absolutely certain you have removed the old seal ring along with the old filter. They have been known to stick to the engine. One ring good two rings baaad."

-can anyone tell me why (if they are NEW!) two -or preferably one thicker ring - would be bad -seeing as it seems from all I've so far read from the multitude of posts on this & similar threads that the main problem seems to stem from the neoprene washer possibly being sub-grade & clearly too thin for the available space. I (stalling from fitting a new UFI to my Jackal, & anxious about a hose clamp battering against the bottom ends) thought that getting a thicker neoprene washer & swapping it for the one supplied would be the simplest solution. :2c:

Also, earlier posts hinted that the loose filter problem was confined to one area of the USA -can anyone corroborate this? If so, God bless you -& all those who have suffered this have my sincere sympathy!- but does this mean that those of us in God's True Country can mop the faint trace of perspiration from our brows? :whistle:

Guest ratchethack

-can anyone tell me why (if they are NEW!) two -or preferably one thicker ring - would be bad -

DWRD, my friend, John Ryland has professional expertise in this area and has conducted a credible analysis of seal characteristics for oil filters in a previous thread.

The gaskets are highly engineered around many critical parameters to exacting detail, including dimension according to equally highly engineered sealing faces (grooves), deflection under load, and such things as resistance to petrochem attack, heat and pressure tolerance, etc.. Stacking gaskets or substituting a thicker gasket than the filter is designed to use would obliterate the sealing capability of the filter and likely result in an instant failure at very low pressure in the case of the former, and would similarly result in some other compromise of performance in the latter.

I defer qualified technical explanation to John himself. :notworthy:

Also, earlier posts hinted that the loose filter problem was confined to one area of the USA -can anyone corroborate this?

Rest easy, my friend. But no one is immune -- even in Cymru. :o

I don't believe that loose filters have been identified as a regional problem anywhere. Reports have at times seemed to come from certain areas, but reporting of the number of problems that wind up on this Forum is of course not necessarily related to the actual location of all the problems in the field. ;)

DWRD, my friend, John Ryland has professional expertise in this area and has conducted a credible analysis of seal characteristics for oil filters in a previous thread.

The gaskets are highly engineered around many critical parameters to exacting detail, including dimension according to equally highly engineered sealing faces (grooves), deflection under load, and such things as resistance to petrochem attack, heat and pressure tolerance, etc.. Stacking gaskets or substituting a thicker gasket than the filter is designed to use would obliterate the sealing capability of the filter and likely result in an instant failure at very low pressure in the case of the former, and would similarly result in some other compromise of performance in the latter.

I defer qualified technical explanation to John himself. :notworthy:

Thanks for the complement, Ratchethack,

A double gasket is problematic on a spin on oil filter. Without any supporting wall around its perimeter, it is left only with the friction it has with the primary gasket and the block to prevent it from blowing out. I have actually seen this happen even when the filter was properly tightened, within 60 seconds of starting the engine.

The gasket should be squeezed to 60-70% of its orginal thickness as the filter is tightened, AND IDEALLY at that point, the filter's groove wall around the perimeter of the gasket should be in contact with the mating surface, leaving no gap for the gasket to extrude out of from internal pressure. At the typical pressures of no more than 80 psi, it is all right to have some gap, say around 15% of the gasket's thickness, and still avoid extrusion. In contrast, when you get to 2,000 psi, the gap can be no more than .001-.002" to prevent leaking, and zero at 6,000 psi.