Failure!!

staedtler

This saturday by the end of my ride something went terribly wrong.

the bike ran great all afternoon, right at dusk i headed home and so i noticed a light click clikck while riding, i had my earplugs and was going quite fast, then the bike started jerking violently and loosing steam, the oil light came up, i coasted down to about 40mph and made it to the gas station at the entry of the road i was coming from, it's right at the entry to the hill country (not that it matters). Anyway, the bike just made it there as long as i didn't try to givi it gas or move the throttle at all, could not engage the clutch without the bike jerking violently and risking stalling it. So as soon as i made it to the gas station and the bike slowed down it died... the oil light was on, then the battery light too, when it stopped the lights were still on, i tried to start the bike but it was a no go. So i pushed the bike under the canopy of the station and proceded to have a diet pepsi and a smoke...called for help, and while waiting i try to fire the bike up again. It did started, but it sounded like somebody threw a bag of nuts and bolts down a staircase!! :(

I'm afraid something major blew up in there..! I'll trailer it to the mechanic tomorrow tuesday to find out.

It sucks.. i hope is not going to be to expensive.

looks like i'll have to buy everything under Mike Rich Motorsports catalog... :grin: or FBF.

i'd bet something failed but i have no idea what :huh2:

I keep y'all posted

(it sucks :angry: )

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch. Sorry to hear the bad news.

My first thought is oil filter failure due to lack of hose clamp. But if the light came on after the stalling, maybe the timing chain slipped or broke :huh2: I guess it could be just about anything.

Good luck :doh:

Ouch. Sorry to hear the bad news.

My first thought is oil filter failure due to lack of hose clamp. But if the light came on after the stalling, maybe the timing chain slipped or broke :huh2: I guess it could be just about anything.

Good luck :doh:

Yes a, timming chain failure sounds likelly,

Guest Gary Cheek

You should know as soon as te sump bottom is off.

Sounds pricey. Hopefully not. Timing chain or loose filter very likely culprits. Filter likely (low oil level too).Good rule, At the first flicker of the oil light, cut the throttle, haul in the clutch and shut down the engine. It doesn't take but a few dry turns to scrap the bottom end.

Pity, there was a complete crank and mains assembly on eBay last week. Went for pretty cheap too. If you get stuck for parts shoot me a PM. I have a complete engine and would consider parting it out. Pete Morcombe in GB land usually has stuff knocking about too. Better to get a standard crank in good shape than a regrind in many instances.

Mebbe a sloppage cookie sheet is overdue.

If the timing chain had broken the camshaft would no longer rotate, and the engine would stop within one revolution. I don't know if a timing chain could slip altering the valve timing which might allow the engine to keep running, but I doubt it.

Something sounds to have gone badly wrong, possibly oil supply failure?

Cam chain failures are incredibly rare and unless the chain was faulty only occur at very, very high mileages.

I would strongly advise against alloy timing gears and unless someone has started producing a set specifically for the FI bikes they won't fit anyway without modification as there is no provision for the 'Phonic Wheel'.

Pete

You should know as soon as te sump bottom is off.

If you get stuck for parts shoot me a PM.

i'll keep you on the loop.... :thumbsup:

fook fook ... i'm starting to freak out here! shiiite!!! let's hope is nothing really major....

oil supply failure!? wtf does that encompass!??.... :(

oil supply failure!? wtf does that encompass!??.... :(

All the major bearings in the engine require a constant supply of oil under comparatively high pressure to cool them down and prevent the bearing from rubbing on the journal on which it spins. If the supply is interupted, even momentarily, then the film of oil between bearing and journal breaks down and damage begins to occur. The oil supply system itself is really very simple but it hs to be sealed to work properly. If for some reason the oil can escape before it gets to where it's supposed to go then it will and the bearings will not recieve lubrication. Most likely causes for this are either the filter loosening off or the oil presure relief valve falling out.

The other posibility is that you have suffered from oil pick-up exposure during hard acceleration but either the light hasn't come on or you haven't noticed it. In this situation damage will begin to occur immediately but the effect will be cumulative. Eventually the bearing will become so damaged that it cannot work effectively and that's when you get the 'Dogga-Dogga' noise.

Given your description I'd have to say "It doesn't sound good Floyd!" but there again we could all be being paranoid and it might be something really simple. I wouldn't hold your breath though.......

Pete

I doubt it's the timing chain. Yes, they'll run if you are off by one tooth, but I don't see that happening.

Do a couple of tests to narrow down your possibilities.

Remove the oil-pressure sensor and the spark plugs, then crank the engine over. If the oil pump is functioning, it will shoot oil out the hole. Makes a mess, so careful where you aim that thing.

By all means, drop the pan and take a look up in the sump.

I've had one instance of failure that partially resembles what you describe. I had the roller ball from the speedo drive fall into the transmission (on a five speed) :homer: . After a while, the transmission made grinding noises and locked up the rear wheel off and on. At highway speeds.

But some of your symptoms could also be explained by clutch failure....