'07 Harley 1200

Van

I don't get the negative opinions.

While this bike is not perfectly gorgeous, it is hardly a V-rod or a hotdog colored guzzi.

Harley addressed my biggest complaint by designing it to handle, and giving it more than 55HP.

As much as I like a Buell, the wheel base is too short for touring, the aesthetics are kind of cool, but not my taste, and I am not a big fan of perimeter brakes combined with upside down forks. (I think right side up forks, a fork brace and a perimeter brake rotor would make a good set up)

The belt drive is arguably a good thing.

I don't like the handlebars they put on the Buell.

I am sure it is a blast, but it is not for me.

However this XR1200 is pretty close to what I would want.

I would rather it have the tail of a V11, but I understand why they are trying to be more like the XR750.

The mufflers are not bad.

I hope they are stainless and not chrome, but no big deal, they sure look better than Griso's big chubby.

Another look in traditional racing color:

xr1200pg0.jpg

Here is another option:

Take the 1200 Sportster and add a few thousand dollars worth of accessories

http://www.storzperf.com/images/XR-1200lr.jpgXR-1200lr.jpg

I like the HD factory look better.

But the Bub exhaust and spoke wheels look nice

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dudester

Hey! I'm new to the forum but I can't just sit by idly with all this Harley bashing-

dlaing you're right on! Maybe if some of these guys would pry their fat aging butts off their beloved Guzzi's and give a Harley a try, they might know what they're talking about. :oldgit::moon: Regarding Sportster's, even the Big Twin guys don't bash them much anymore (they're probably too busy lacing up their chaps). The point is, ride what you like and don't badmouth the competition, especially if you've never tried it. :drink:

I've tried'em I love the ride and could cruise on it ALL freakin day. I can therefor bash them they are alright on power with upgrades but the brakes are complete shite. I've gotten better feel from brakes on a go-kart. but as that is my only bich it can be easily fixed, I'll have a harley in about 10 years I imagine. :bike:

Harleys will always be subject to bashing from some parts of the Guzzi fold- I think it has more to do with the image than the dynamics of the motorcycles.

I have never ridden a Sportster but have nothing against them. The big twins are decent touring bikes but I agree with Ben about the brakes, although the models with twin discs are acceptable.

I've tried one, found it was not right for me and sold it on again- maybe in about 10 years I may fancy another.

Guy :helmet:

Well, i suppose I should quantify what i said earlier. I've never ridden what I would consider a decent harley.

Brakes are dire.

suspension is not what I'm used to, but nothing particularly wrong with that.

the big ones,ie electra glides, feel well dodgy when slow, unlike,say bmws.

They break. a lot. Which , for a tractor, isn't really excusable. And I ride a guzzi!

The whole imaga thing is a put off, and a lot of harley riders don't help their cause.

Mostly, they are vastly underpowered.

that's the bike. I don't know about the riders.

Mind you....

Buells are a riot, but I think, ugly. would't stop me buying one, though.

The newer non aircooled street rod jobbies are quite pretty, and apparently are not bad to ride, but i haven't had a go yet.

Those xr thingies look quite cute, but I've never seen one. Anyway, where do you fit the tassles.

During the summer,I spent a couple of weeks riding around the us midwest on an electra glide. God, I still have nightmares.

Anyway, I stopped in a gas station in Tuba city, arizona, and went in to pay. A guy in the queue, noticed i was wearing my :mg: v11lemans.com t shirt, and follwed me out to the bike without saying anything.

Then he started laughing.

he was expecting me to hop on to something Italian, but wasn't at all impressed with what I was actually on. Can't say I blamed him. I explained, about it being a rental, and what my normal steed was. We chatted for about 5 minutes, and it turns out he'd had a collection of Italian and brit bikes over the years and still did.Then he hopped into his (very clean) soft top jag e type, and took off. I reckon he was in his 60's. The last thing he said was to get back on my guzzi as quickly as possible.

I know what he meant.

I've tried lots, and their all shite.

Was that a little rude?!

There are some biker bars where you would not like to say that too loudly.

Would it be rude if I said Marzocchi forks and Sachs shocks are shite?

More like social suicide on this forum :homer:

H-D has released some cosmetic kits in the street-tracker vein and this seems to be oriented in that direction. I don't see the market. Mr. and Mrs. America has traditionally rejected any movement away from the core brand values.

Which is probably why, as of this time, the new "flat-tracker" model is only going to be offered in Europe. It is a non-starter for N.A. [Well, I don't know if Canada is grouped by H-D as part of U.S. sales or European sales; the Canucks may get a bunch of these only to have them bought up by ugly 'Murricans for importing back where they started from! ;)]

Ride on!

:bike:

Just another variation on a theme.....

I would have preferred a more determined stab at it.

The wire wheeled version does look better.

Griso has more 'attitude.' I think.

Guzzi only should have taken the styling further retro the way Ducati did with their retros.

Yes, I always thought they had unrealised 'retro' potential.

That's why I did this:

V11_S317a.jpg

Yes of course it would be rude to say marzochi bits are shite. Silly boy.

And I've been to some of those biker bars you talk of, and it seems having an IQ over a hundred will get you into trouble anyway. Especially if you're not riding a harley ferguson, and truth be told that's one of the main things I dislike about them.

In the end of the day, it shouldn't matter if your on an mz or a moto guzzi.

I go with what Ogri says:

"Any bike's a good'un".

Yes of course it would be rude to say marzochi bits are shite. Silly boy.

And I've been to some of those biker bars you talk of, and it seems having an IQ over a hundred will get you into trouble anyway. Especially if you're not riding a harley ferguson, and truth be told that's one of the main things I dislike about them.

In the end of the day, it shouldn't matter if your on an mz or a moto guzzi.

I go with what Ogri says:

"Any bike's a good'un".

I thought it was a guzzi deere or would it be a moto deere, or a john guzzi?, I mean ferguson broke off from ford and then hooked up with massey and allis made it with chalmers and case went in with international I think deere's the only one not in a merger, and hell they already have something close to the guzzi green right? :lol:

Just another variation on a theme.....

I would have preferred a more determined stab at it.

The wire wheeled version does look better.

Griso has more 'attitude.' I think.

Yes, I always thought they had unrealised 'retro' potential.

That's why I did this:

V11_S317a.jpg

Very nice!

You just need some tubleless wire spoked wheels :bier:

Someday I hope to drop the rear subframe back and down a bit. I already dropped it back about 2mm, but it is not noticeable.

I need to take the spring off the shock to bottom it out and then see how far I can tilt the subframe back.

And then get the price on fabricating and welding an extension.

Reverse cone mufflers could be nice too.

Very nice!

You just need some tubleless wire spoked wheels :bier:

Someday I hope to drop the rear subframe back and down a bit. I already dropped it back about 2mm, but it is not noticeable.

I need to take the spring off the shock to bottom it out and then see how far I can tilt the subframe back.

And then get the price on fabricating and welding an extension.

Reverse cone mufflers could be nice too.

Thanks..I like the way it has come out......Wire spoked wheels..Now there is a thought.....

I got some on my Spaghetti Western. ( Cali Stone Metal)

I am not sure, but I think they may well be tubeless.

Aye, that sounds promising. I pinched about an inch out of the seat to lower the altitude some, but would be interested in getting it to sit lower, if this is viable, without buggering up the geometry too much. :huh:

Reverse cone should work well.

Detachable baffling? :whistle:

Nige. B)