Good Mounting Location for PCIII

al_roethlisberger

I was looking around for a good place to more or less permanently mount the PCIII on the LeMans. But since I have a pretty full tool-kit in the tool-kit area, and I do use the tail "cubby" for ad-hoc items on trips, etc... I didn't want to have to just lay the PCIII in either of these locations.

So after looking around, I found that the PCIII will fit quite well mounted to outside of the seat subframe on either the left or right side, between the frame and rear plastic carapace.

I simply used some 3/4" metal conduit hangers, with rubber protectors. You can find these at any hardware store. In combination with some stainless M6 bolts and lock-nuts, it was an easy and tidy solution.

Here are some photos:

pciii_location.jpg

No, that would be one drawback if one wanted to get to the manual adjustment buttons, or somehow wanted to remove it "easily". You cannot remove the PCIII with the tail-section installed.

However, I figure once I get the custom map set, I won't be fiddling with the manual buttons or need to remove/move the PCIII around. So my only concern was making sure one had easy access to the serial port.

Also, I can get my rear carapace off in about 2 minutes now, so it's not a big deal for me in any case B)

al

Bravo Al! Very cleanly done! I tried to think of a way to put mine there but came up blank. Those bits of hardware are inspired for the job.

Conduit hangers? As a mechanic, I never used them. I have to add that to my Library! Thanks Al!

Yeah, I think that's what the package said, "conduit hangars" :huh:

But bottom line, they are just cheapo pipe brackets from sheet metal, with a rubber lining. I found them in the electrical section, but they could be in plumbing too I would bet.

al

Guest Brent

Great idea! I never did like the sloppy look of the unit sitting in the rear tail section.

By the way, what are those strips of material for on your frame? They look as if they're placed where the seat touches the frame.

Yep, that's felt :thumbsup:

The bumpers from the seat were rubbing the coating off of the frame, and I didn't want to end up with rust/bare-metal spots after a couple years like I had on my FJ. So I stuck some "heavy duty" felt on there.

It works OK, although I have to press it back down sometimes, and after a while it wants to "creep" from the seat moving around a little. But it seems to be doing it's job.

al

Guest Brent

Well, although I would've liked to move my PCIII to the side (like Al's), it would mean having to remove at least some of the tail trunk frame before I could remove the tail piece, as well as re-routing some wiring. I wasn't THAT motivated to move the PCIII, but I did spend some time trying to locate a better place than the cubby, and I came up with this. I removed the tool tray, which gave me room not only for the PCIII but also for a larger tool kit. I'll keep the tool kit from shifting around by placing a folded rag over it to allow the seat to compress it.

Here's a pic.

post-8-1055254159_thumb.jpg

"I removed the tool tray, which gave me room not only for the PCIII but also for a larger tool kit."

You guys really know how to think outside the box, (Al literally outside frame, and Brent not even needing a box! :D )

Thanks for the great tips!

PS Brent, are you still using Siemmens relays?!?

If they are, I guess they are improved ones....

FWIW, my PCIII is mounted exactly like Brent's. Anybody know why MG even bothers with the tool try?

Lex

Good question, but I'd have to guess it's to relieve any weight on the inner fender to keep it fron sagging under the weight of tools, etc , especially when they used to have the carbon cannisters under there??

Dunno... but I like the little tray. It fits Rich's tool bag perfecty :thumbsup:

al