Muffler choices

Guest Guest_dlaing

Al, your post about racetracks disallowing "race cans" only indicates that the idea of drilling stock pipes is the best! Do not forget, for all everybody knows your pipes are still stock.

Unless you enjoy swapping them back and forth...

I was interested in the Galassetti pipes ( Galassetti Homepage) because they tuck up nice and high under the seat. However, upon close examination of the pictures on their website, it looks like one would need to cut a notch in the bodywork just below the saddle to allow the new mounting hardware to be installed. Also, it appears that it is not possible to have a rear hugger with these pipes. Anyone have direct experience with them?

CoreyL in San Antonio TX

To me the other major incentive to move to aftermarket pipes, would be to minimize the uneven placement of the OEM mufflers.

As I'm sure all of you with bikes with the 5.5 inch rear rim have noticed, the right muffler had to be kicked out even further than before, and from the rear it is very obvious that the pipes are not evenly spaced... looking a bit odd.

For some people this may not be a big deal, and in fact may "build character" :P ... and that's OK... But for me, being a bit anal :lol: ... it bugs the snot outta me!

So, I've noticed that with some of the aftermarket units, this is minimized, and is much less noticeable. With the Leo Vince units, it was nearly unnoticeable.

Of course, to be fair, I'm sure I could fashion something to fix it a bit with the stock cans as well... dunno :rolleyes: ...anyway, sound, performance, and aesthetics are what are driving me... especially since my stockers are already turning purple :P

BTW, I've also heard that the OEM units are quite a bit heavier than the aftermarket. Has anyone verified this?

al

My replacement oval carbon's are about 2/3 the weight of the stock mufflers. So quite a difference. ^_^

And the uneven placement is gone too!

Guest jeff mcclure

Al, I'd personally go for the LeoVince cans in carbon fiber. You saw my LeMans with these cans installed this past weekend in Yosemite. I had orginally ordered the Ti cans but changed my order to the CF because I thought the flat black appearance looked better on the LeMans. Thus far I've been very pleased with their sound and performance. In truth, I was going for a louder sound over performance; I wanted the bike to sound like it should. This is the only modification I've made to the bike, and I have been able to avoid going the power commander route. My dealer has set CO to 4%.

Some are drilling out the rear of their stock cans, but this does little unless they can "punch" out the baffle that resides in the center of the stock cans. Hope this helps.

Since when has any police enforcement to my knowledge stopped any one for loud mufflers?I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway and can hear the "loud pipes save lives" bunch for miles after they are gone.It gets irritating for me to hear them on a ralley weekend, and pray you don't get stuck in a tunnel with a bunch like I did.

Get your pipes to suit your power needs.Personnally I like it as quiet as possible.That's why I wear earplugs.

Unfortunenately it's going to get like it is in California everywhere because of the irrisponsible people that ride around waking the good citizens that are going to screw us all, and take away all of our freedoms from choices of cans. Any Goose will sound great with any after market pipe and be quiter than and HD I've ever heard. :angry:

Guest jimjib

its not the people with loud pipes that are taking away our freedoms...its the idiots that complain about it.........think about it.

Thanks Jeff ^_^

...and yep, I remember you and your bike well! It was great to meet you, ans see another LeMans on the road.

It's actually the first "red" LeMans I've seen on the road .... OK, well in fact it's the first *ANY* LeMans I've seen on the road!! :lol:

But regarding the cans, I'm still on the fence regarding the Ti versus Carbon Leo's though. My friend has the Ti can on her Honda F4, and it was parked right beside my bike today. I gave it a long look, and tried to imagine it on the bike... and it seemed a good match to the silver of the cylinders, etc. But of course, the Carbon units look good too. But hey, since I don't plan on buying them until Winter, I get plenty of time to ponder :D

Now, if I can just get someone who has both the Carbon and someone who has the Ti cans installed to send/post some photos. Actually, Jeff, do you have any photos of your bike with the Carbon cans you can send me? Maybe I can photo-shop doctor them to get a better idea. Dunno....

And BTW, the fit/finish of the Carbon Leo's was great, as was the mounting hardware, which matters a great deal... so many aftermarket items are such kludges. I was very impressed. ...oh yeah, and they sounded good too :P

al

If Modesto Joe had been able to make the Yosemite ride, you could have seen and heard his Leo Vince pipes in aluminum. I didn't take my V11 (huge nail in back tire), but I have the aluminum Mistrals that Guzzi offers. I like their sound quite a bit.

Guest jeff mcclure

Al, sorry I don't have the capability to send photos of my LeMans over the web. But, let me throw some gasoline on the fire by offering you additional options of exhaust cans for your bike.

1)Ferracci: They are a little louder than the LeoVince's and shorter too. They are good pipes, but Ferracci is going to try to get you to upgrade to a power commander if you use their cans. www.ferracci.com

2)M4: Again, they are slightly shorter than stock. Made in USA (Texas). Like Leo Vince, they state their cans are designed for stock FI systems (ie, not dependent on power commander, but your dealer will need to adjust your idle CO to about 4%). They were very helpful when I phoned them regarding their product line. This is the brand Harpers MG sells in their catalog. www.m4exhaust.com

3)D&D: Another can with a good reputation. Think they are a bit on the loud side. Made in USA (Texas). They are developing several cans for the V11, and offer a "Flat Black" aluminum can in addition to the standard SS,AL, and CF. This flat black pipe would appeal to anyone who likes the look of the stock LeMans pipe but wants a deeper sound. www.danddexhaust.com

These, along with LeoVince (www.leoVince.com), are some different options available for your LeMans. Happy shoping.

:bier:

• 5 months later...

--And then there are the Galassetti pipes, also depicted on this site. I drilled out the offroad plates on my round CF Mistrals, and filled the holes with black epoxy; not too bad.

Hi, everybody, I've been here lurking, for six or eight months or so. Just got back from a friend's--up here in Maine, all we have is Speed Channel on Tuesday nights. Setting up my '00 Sport for the track school at Laconia on 4/25, but nothing too fancy.

Up here in Portland, ME., they are currently devising a standard for measuring loud pipes --only for motorcycles, not F-150s. Expect it nationally. BTW, I use the race cans on the street , too.