'02 fuzzy paint fix question

Tom M

Per the suggestions on this board I bought some Harley crinkle paint to fix my bubbling/flaking 2002 factory engine paint. The Harley paint says crinkle paint on the can but it looks like plain old flat black once sprayed on the engine to me. I'd love to hear from anyone who's used this as to how much "crinkle" they got out of their can. I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bad can, or is it supposed to look like flat black stove paint?

PS the things you find when you tear down a previously owned bike...like a pair of 10" channel-lock pliers inside the airbox! :P Also found that two of the four front subframe to spine bolts were loose. One was about to fall completely out :( . Not an easy thing to spot with the Lemans fairing on.

And finally, a belated Merry Christmas to all, and have a fantastic New Year!

Per the suggestions on this board I bought some Harley crinkle paint to fix my bubbling/flaking 2002 factory engine paint. The Harley paint says crinkle paint on the can but it looks like plain old flat black once sprayed on the engine to me. I'd love to hear from anyone who's used this as to how much "crinkle" they got out of their can. I'm wondering if maybe I just got a bad can, or is it supposed to look like flat black stove paint?

PS the things you find when you tear down a previously owned bike...like a pair of 10" channel-lock pliers inside the airbox! :P Also found that two of the four front subframe to spine bolts were loose. One was about to fall completely out :( . Not an easy thing to spot with the Lemans fairing on.

PPS What the hell is this thing? :thing:

And finally, a belated Merry Christmas to all, and have a fantastic New Year!

Hey Tom, I've used the Harley paint with excellent results. Make sure you are using the Texture Black (98606BF), I think they also make a Wrinkle Finish paint but that's not going to give you the proper finish. The key with this paint is to apply many light dusting layers from at least a foot away. To much at once and you will lose the texture and get just a flat black. I probably did 10 light dusting layers and waited 15 minutes between each layer application. The final result matches up to the tranny paint almost perfectly.

good luck

jason

Hey Tom, I've used the Harley paint with excellent results. Make sure you are using the Texture Black (98606BF), I think they also make a Wrinkle Finish paint but that's not going to give you the proper finish. The key with this paint is to apply many light dusting layers from at least a foot away. To much at once and you will lose the texture and get just a flat black. I probably did 10 light dusting layers and waited 15 minutes between each layer application. The final result matches up to the tranny paint almost perfectly.

good luck

jason

I think I read somewhere that careful application of a heat gun helps the crinkle finish form :huh2:

good luck

jason

Thanks Jason. Yes I am using the Texture Black, not crinkle black as I said at first :homer: . It sounds like I put it on too thick. I'll give your method a try next.

Thanks Jason. Yes I am using the Texture Black, not crinkle black as I said at first :homer: . It sounds like I put it on too thick. I'll give your method a try next.

hurry up!! I wanna know if it worked so I can do my bevel box wiv it!!

I followed Jasons instructions and the paint looks good. Thanks Jason! I guess the key was to keep the paint can at least a foot away from the engine to get the proper texture. Something else I did that may have helped since the basement I'm working in is a bit cool was to set up halogen work lights on either side of the engine to warm the surface before painting and help cure the paint between coats.

Rossoandy, this paint should be perfect for your bevel box as long as you follow Jasons instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed Jasons instructions and the paint looks good. Thanks Jason! I guess the key was to keep the paint can at least a foot away from the engine to get the proper texture. Something else I did that may have helped since the basement I'm working in is a bit cool was to set up halogen work lights on either side of the engine to warm the surface before painting and help cure the paint between coats.

Rossoandy, this paint should be perfect for your bevel box as long as you follow Jasons instructions.

Tom, that's great to hear.....glad my dumb luck process was repeatable. :) I bet the halogens helped a lot, good idea. Did you paint it on the bike or dissassembled. I did it on the bike and think I spent 5x more time taping off than painting....haha.

rossoandy/slowkitty, not sure about Tom, but I only used 1 can. Keep in mind that I didn't completely strip the old paint to bare metal, in which case I would have used more. I used compressed air initially but all that did is break open the rest of the bubbles. Had to get in all the grooves with flat head srewdrivers and rotorary tool wire brushes to smooth it all out....even then it wasnt perfect but the fuzzy paint is pretty forgiving. Now will wait and see if it lasts more than a few riding seasons. Would be pretty ironic if my home amature rattle can job lasts longer than Guzzi's effort. :)

jason

When I bought the paint the price sticker on the can said $14.95 (USD) but it scanned at $19.95, indicating a recent price jump. The guy at the parts counter gave it to me for the lower price.

I used about 3/4 of the can on the block, sump extension, and oil pan. Lots of coats on the block and sump extension, only a few on the oil pan since it was in really good shape.

I don't think compressed air alone will do a good job of stripping off the bubbling factory paint. I used various hand held wire brushes and a drill mounted wire wheel for most of the block, then a dremel mounted wire wheel for the spaces between the fins at the bottom of the block above the sump extension. It looks good, but not as good as it would if I had done a chemical strip.

edit: Jason, I did it on the bike. I too spent a lot of time masking everything off. Pulled the alt cover and repainted it silver while I was at it since it was peeling from road spray. Obviously removed the exhaust/tank/seat airbox top too. Sure is nice having a basement that I can get my bike into :D . I'm waiting for my Roper sump tray and a Ferracci crossover to show up before I finish reassembly.

When I bought the paint the price sticker on the can said $14.95 (USD) but it scanned at $19.95, indicating a recent price jump. The guy at the parts counter gave it to me for the lower price.

I used about 3/4 of the can on the block, sump extension, and oil pan. Lots of coats on the block and sump extension, only a few on the oil pan since it was in really good shape.

I don't think compressed air alone will do a good job of stripping off the bubbling factory paint. I used various hand held wire brushes and a drill mounted wire wheel for most of the block, then a dremel mounted wire wheel for the spaces between the fins at the bottom of the block above the sump extension. It looks good, but not as good as it would if I had done a chemical strip.

edit: Jason, I did it on the bike. I too spent a lot of time masking everything off. Pulled the alt cover and repainted it silver while I was at it since it was peeling from road spray. Obviously remover the exhaust/tank/seat airbox top too. Sure is nice having a basement that I can get my bike into :D . I'm waiting for my Roper sump tray and a Ferracci crossover to show up before I finish reassembly.

Any chance of some pics? :luigi:

just imagine what your bevel looked like new (or what it should have looked like) before the lepracy. :)

my cases (and it sounds like Tom's as well) now match up almost perfectly to the tranny. I say almost, because I'm sure in direct sunlight and with your eye 6 inches from the cases you could see a minor difference.....but a picture would never catch this. I would be even less concerned about the bevel as it is far enough away from the tranny and engine cases to give you more margin for error without anyone every noticing. if you are wanting a guranteed 100% match, then you should have it painted professionally.

Any chance of some pics? :luigi:

Here's what my bubbling paint looked like last April:

Misc007.jpg

Here's the other side of the engine with fresh paint:

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

(The oil pan is only held on with 2 screws in these pictures, seems a little oil leaked seeped out.)

wow, not bad at all! cases look fine in pics,well done. My engine is worse than yers was (pipes a golden blue colour too for sum reason) hehe. I in process of doin bevel box as i write this, had three lightish coat wiv about ten mins btween. I based it up with etch primer then a base of matt black before the Harley paint went on. I go and do another coat in a bit..

wow, not bad at all! cases look fine in pics,well done. My engine is worse than yers was (pipes a golden blue colour too for sum reason) hehe. I in process of doin bevel box as i write this, had three lightish coat wiv about ten mins btween. I based it up with etch primer then a base of matt black before the Harley paint went on. I go and do another coat in a bit..

Good luck with your project Andy. Just remember to keep that spray can at least a foot away from the workpiece and you should get decent results. Thanks again for that tip Jason! :bier:

My exhaust pipes and crossover were ceramic coated by the previous owner, that's why they aren't discolored like yours.

I'm pretty happy with my paint results. If you zoom in on my middle picture above you can see that the engine paint between the jugs is still a bubbly mess, but I don't think it will be very noticeable once I put the fairing back on. It should be a vast improvement over what was there before. Not bad for $15 and a little time and effort.