Voltage regulator??? 17+ volts!!!!

Junkyard

We shall agree to disagree. 14.6 is too much. But it's your bike not mine.

Steve

No, I do not agree to disagree. At least not yet. First I have to change your mind. :P

First of all, it is not my bike, it is the bike of whoever is reading this thread in hope of a solution, maybe even Junkyard's bike, 17 months later! :lol:

Second of all, we probably agree that regulating voltage to less than 13.8V is easier on the many of the components in the electrical system.

But thirdly, we appear to disagree that the manual is correct that for the early V11s with the Marelli/Ducati regulator, the voltage should be regulated to 14.0 to 14.6V.

So how can I sway you to accept that that is a normal and healthy charging voltage?

Well, the manual says so. But we know the manual can be wrong. But in this case, I doubt it. When the factory replaced the Marelli-Ducati regulator with another, the charging voltage probably did drop. I know that for my Electrex regulator, the charging dropped to below 14V, so I am happily sparing my electrical system from too many volts. The Ducati/Marelli regulator was designed to put out 14.0-14.6 Volts. Are you saying that all that put out 14+V are broken? Or are you saying the manual was wrong? Or what?

The only reasons I can think of to have the voltage regulated to a voltage higher than 13.8V is to keep the battery better charged, and the increased voltage to the coils will provide the spark plugs with a better spark, but that is not so important as the battery maintaining proper charge.

The Hawker Odyssey documentation says, "If the voltage output from the charger is less than 14.2V or more than 15V for a 12V battery do not use the charger."

What does this mean if our alternator is putting out less than 13.8V? I believe it means that the battery will have a tough time maintaining anything close to 100% charged. The lower the battery's state of charge, the greater the tendency for sulfation. For this reason, I give my battery a weekly to monthly charge to ensure that it gets more than 14.2V. My Electrex regulator puts out less than 14 volts, but it has the advantage of charging better below 2000RPM, so the battery does OK, but without the occasional 14.2++ volt charges, I believe the battery life will be shortened as sulfation occurs.

If I still had the Marelli Ducati regulator, I don't think it would be as necessary, because it charged at about 14.5V.

Which regulator is better is a matter of opinion. For me, the Electrex with frequent charges to the battery works better and my mind is at ease that the ECU and other components are getting a more friendly voltage.

A V11 with Ducati Marelli regulator putting out 14.0 to 14.6 volts is normal and healthy and anything less than 13.8V at high RPM most likely has problems whether with wiring or grounds or the regulator itself.

I you don't agree now, than I guess you are right that we agree to disagree.