V1100 Bevel box failure

rossoandy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't suppose you have the part number of the nut?

Cheers

:bier:

I talked them through the exploded view picture on the phone so don't know the number, but maybe when it arrives ?

I've just gone through the new bearings now that I've got the old pinion bearing out and noticed the new pinion nose bearing is the wrong size !! (the 12/16 needle roller)pinion_nose_bearing.JPG

If you've got one ordered you may want to cancel it for now, unless there are two types of bearing (which seems unlikely) it would appear that the list I got from Jack was wrong for this one.

The writing is very small on the bearing but it looks like 27 16 to mebearing.jpg

I'll try to match it at the local bearing supplier and let you know . :bier:

I talked them through the exploded view picture on the phone so don't know the number, but maybe when it arrives ?

I've just gone through the new bearings now that I've got the old pinion bearing out and noticed the new pinion nose bearing is the wrong size !! (the 12/16 needle roller)pinion_nose_bearing.JPG

If you've got one ordered you may want to cancel it for now, unless there are two types of bearing (which seems unlikely) it would appear that the list I got from Jack was wrong for this one.

The writing is very small on the bearing but it looks like 27 16 to mebearing.jpg

I'll try to match it at the local bearing supplier and let you know . :bier:

One of the seals is wrong also :homer:

Seals.JPG

Its the seal pressed into the casing behind the big roller bearing that supports the crownwheel shaft.seal_location.JPG

Now that I have it out it looks like a 40x50x6 (no markings so measured) not a 37x55x6 as I was told, the other bearings and seals look ok so far.

The inner race on the pinion is difficult to remove as is the inner race on the crownwheel assembly inner_race.JPGas they don't have anywhere for a puller to grip, I'll seek help getting these off I think.

All the other bearings are out so when I've sourced the pinion nose bearing and the correct seal I should have all I need to start putting it back together.

One of the seals is wrong also :homer:

Seals.JPG

Its the seal pressed into the casing behind the big roller bearing that supports the crownwheel shaft.seal_location.JPG

Now that I have it out it looks like a 40x50x6 (no markings so measured) not a 37x55x6 as I was told, the other bearings and seals look ok so far.

The inner race on the pinion is difficult to remove as is the inner race on the crownwheel assembly inner_race.JPGas they don't have anywhere for a puller to grip, I'll seek help getting these off I think.

All the other bearings are out so when I've sourced the pinion nose bearing and the correct seal I should have all I need to start putting it back together.

Jack has solved the bearing size issue, it should be an "I 12/16" bearing not a 12/16 (the I means it has an internal race and this makes the whole bearing bigger)

The seal is actually a 38x50x7 (its written on the inside behind the spring :doh: )

The old bearing races are removed (grinder and some heat) so reassembly can start when I get the seal and bearing.

Hi folks, sorry I've been really busy last four weeks after starting a new job and on top of that my internet provider is shite and crashes frequently(talk talk).

Seems like I've missed helping with a few issues here,

The small bearing should come with an inner race, speak to Jack as the first one I got was incorrect too,

The lightwieght small bearings that you can't identify are probobaly the outer ones the bevel box pivots on?

All the seals I got from Jack at BRT were ok,dunno whats occured here?

And yes the main nut is fkn tight and I had to grind mine off too. A new nut was around a fiver I recall.

My bike is stil in bits, I removed the swing arm to attend to a weep from the gearbox output only to find the front driveshaft u/j has a tight spot in it! The u/j is circliped in so I need to source a new u/j and fit it to the shaft before I reassemble it all. Irritating that the drive shaft and u/s cannot be removed without taking off the swing arm!

My new job is not giving me the time or energy to get it all sorted quickly and summer is approachin!

:bike:

Hi All,

I got my set of bearings and seals today. I appear to have two issue I will take up with jack tomorrow. I appear to have the wrong bearing which goes on the outside for the swing arm. It should have an inner race mine (HK25162RS) does not. I also have two small bearings supplied, (609ZZ) which I have no idea where they go! They look like they could make up a simliar looking assembly to the nose bearing supplied - anyone any ideas?! I still have to get the lock nut from Guzzi, and I need to get the O ring for the castle nut.

My crown wheel seems to have a ring set in a groove 'above' the bearing inner ring which is on the crown wheel - preswumably to stop the ring comming off. Don't know how this comes off yet, that is a job for the weekend!

Keep you posted

:drink:

Hi All,

I got my set of bearings and seals today. I appear to have two issue I will take up with jack tomorrow. I appear to have the wrong bearing which goes on the outside for the swing arm. It should have an inner race mine (HK25162RS) does not. I also have two small bearings supplied, (609ZZ) which I have no idea where they go! They look like they could make up a simliar looking assembly to the nose bearing supplied - anyone any ideas?! I still have to get the lock nut from Guzzi, and I need to get the O ring for the castle nut.

My crown wheel seems to have a ring set in a groove 'above' the bearing inner ring which is on the crown wheel - preswumably to stop the ring comming off. Don't know how this comes off yet, that is a job for the weekend!

Keep you posted

:drink:

I got those 2 bearings also, they don't appear to be from the bevel box so I'd ignore them.

I brought the issue of the inner race up with Jack on Monday morning as it appears Rossoandy didn't order or query the lack of the inner race on his order (we assume he reused his ?)

The ring comes out quite easily(it may make a bid for freedom if your not careful) but the inner race does not !

I used a grinder and then heat to crack the race but its really close to the seals location so disaster is a real possibility, it would be better to get a bearing separator/puller as the inner bearing race on the pinion is the same !

My nut arrived yesterday so I should have everything I need to reassemble....maybe :)

good luck :bier:

I got those 2 bearings also, they don't appear to be from the bevel box so I'd ignore them.

I brought the issue of the inner race up with Jack on Monday morning as it appears Rossoandy didn't order or query the lack of the inner race on his order (we assume he reused his ?)

The ring comes out quite easily(it may make a bid for freedom if your not careful) but the inner race does not !

Thanks for the part number for the nut.

I spoke to Jack, it would seem the small bearings are for somthing else - God knows what! I think the bearing for the external swing arm support is the wrong type. When I offered up the inner sleeve from the old bearing it does not seem to fit <_ mine look ok any way so i may leave it as is. also noticed there is no o ring for the castle nut will size this up and get ordered src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_duim.gif" alt=":thumbsup:">

So, I'm looking good for a full on assault next week, when work has calmed down a bit!

Cheers

:bier:

Hi All,

I got my set of bearings and seals today. I appear to have two issue I will take up with jack tomorrow. I appear to have the wrong bearing which goes on the outside for the swing arm. It should have an inner race mine (HK25162RS) does not.

The 1100 Sport outer bearing is HK25162RS (Guzzi p/n 92252225) and its inner bearing (Guzzi p/n 92259025) is IRZ 20x25x18 . I think the V11 outer bearing is another type.

The 1100 Sport outer bearing is HK25162RS (Guzzi p/n 92252225) and its inner bearing (Guzzi p/n 92259025) is IRZ 20x25x18 . I think the V11 outer bearing is another type.

Thats the same outer as a V11 and I measured the inner race as 20x25x18 so thanks for confirming this. :bier:

Off work tomorrow, pinion and crownwheel in the freezer and heat gun at the ready :luigi:

Thats the same outer as a V11 and I measured the inner race as 20x25x18 so thanks for confirming this. :bier:

Off work tomorrow, pinion and crownwheel in the freezer and heat gun at the ready :luigi:

I still haven't managed to pull the crown wheel cover on my 1100 Sport. I have even tried pushing pretty hard from the inside (pushing on the crown wheel via the pinion opening). How deep is the cover recessed in the case, do I have to pull straight out? I'm pretty sure I see some liquid gasket, possibly that's my problem. I will probably buy a heat gun this weekend, that would help, right? I'll need it for the bearings anyway.

Well the box is back together.

I bought a bearing separator/puller to go with my existing puller, these combined with my vice and a little bit of lateral thinking made the job possible.

Pinion.JPG[ crownwheel.JPGOld_Bearing.JPG I used the old bearings to protect the new bearings that had to be tapped into place.

The case seals and bearings went in quite easily, the pinion and crown wheel inner race pressed into place with the separator and vice or puller with little effort but getting the pinion into the case proved tricky as I didn't want to use a hammer or push inner bearing race. In the end I used the bearing puller with one leg into the case opening and the other under a slight lip on the case outer (remember the case isn't thick at the opening so be gentle and take it slow !!) to press the pinion into the case by using the castleated nut upside down with various washers and a socket to load only on the outside of the bearing (making sure it went in straight so the pinion nose bearing lined up), once it was far enough in to expose the thread I turned the nut the correct way up and pushed the bearing fully in by tightening it (while gently heating the case with the heat gun).

Just got to put it on the bike and tighten the pinion nut up against the brake.

So basically buy a puller and a separator (I wish I'd bought it earlier to remove the old bearings rather than using a grinder :homer: )

I got the missing inner race for the outer case support bearing (IR 20 25 18)for £8.80

and the O ring (BS 143) for 24p

Well the box is back together.

I bought a bearing separator/puller to go with my existing puller, these combined with my vice and a little bit of lateral thinking made the job possible.

Pinion.JPG[ crownwheel.JPGOld_Bearing.JPG I used the old bearings to protect the new bearings that had to be tapped into place.

The case seals and bearings went in quite easily, the pinion and crown wheel inner race pressed into place with the separator and vice or puller with little effort but getting the pinion into the case proved tricky as I didn't want to use a hammer or push inner bearing race. In the end I used the bearing puller with one leg into the case opening and the other under a slight lip on the case outer (remember the case isn't thick at the opening so be gentle and take it slow !!) to press the pinion into the case by using the castleated nut upside down with various washers and a socket to load only on the outside of the bearing (making sure it went in straight so the pinion nose bearing lined up), once it was far enough in to expose the thread I turned the nut the correct way up and pushed the bearing fully in by tightening it (while gently heating the case with the heat gun).

Just got to put it on the bike and tighten the pinion nut up against the brake.

So basically buy a puller and a separator (I wish I'd bought it earlier to remove the old bearings rather than using a grinder :homer: )

I got the missing inner race for the outer case support bearing (IR 20 25 18)for £8.80

and the O ring (BS 143) for 24p

WELL DONE ! Just goes to show how a bit of thought can overcome what could have been a really expensive job. I agree the purchase of a bearing separator would have made my stripdown a lot easier I am sure although cutting the old inner bearing tracks wasnt really a problem. The small bearing for the nose of the pinion came without the inner race the first time jack ordered it but when I questioned this he found an alternative part no including an inner race for me.

The two small bearings you could not identify....they were on my order with jack for something else I was doing at the time! :homer: ooops!

Anyway the latest is jack is busy sourcing new u/j's for my driveshaft as the inner one has a tight spot and I don't wanna risk a failure. He reckons less than £30 for the pair! Guzzi only do a complete shaft at £250+!

I will post the results of his findings and my work in swopping them over. :mg:

The two small bearings you could not identify....they were on my order with jack for something else I was doing at the time! :homer: ooops!

Anyway the latest is jack is busy sourcing new u/j's for my driveshaft as the inner one has a tight spot and I don't wanna risk a failure. He reckons less than £30 for the pair! Guzzi only do a complete shaft at £250+!

I will post the results of his findings and my work in swopping them over. :mg:

Do you want two more of those bearings??!!

I will call Jack on Monday and tell him to order another set of the UJ's as mine also have a tight spot. I suspected, obviously incorrectly, this would be a part designed by Guzzi. So therefore bike specific. I got a parts manual off ebay, which is quite detailed and it does only show the whole shaft as a spare part.

I will go down to Machine Mart to get the bearing pullers etc and get going next week, hopfully!

Pasto, thanks for the photo's :thumbsup:

Cheers