Late V11 Speedometer Woes

kerowako

Hello All,

I've had terminal failure of the speedometer on my '03 Le Mans. The local dealer has had the replacement on backorder for 4 weeks now, with no estimate of delivery. This is a black face/red needle unit, apparently made by ITI. I believe earlier ones were Veglia.

Can anyone point me to a dealer, anywhere, that might have one on hand? I'm desparate to put my bike back on the road, but not without being whole!

I'm also wondering if any other late V11 owners have experienced the same problem. (Cable problems excluded....that's been well covered!)

The speedometer function is still perfect- the odometer/trip meter gradually stopped. Upon opening the case, I found the main odo worm gear had worn itself away- clearly from lack of lubrication.

Have any others has speedo failures?

Regards.....

Fred Meyer

03 Le Mans

Guest Mattress

Sorry dude, but I'm not getting your drift. You are desparate to get back on the road. You have a broken cable. @#!#$# it man, get back on the road! A broken cable has you stranded? Are you a freakin Land Rover driver too?

No, seriously. Just enjoy your ride. If you are paranoid then get the Sigma bycicle solout0oj on this forum.

Guest Gary Cheek

Seems there have been quite a few failures of the later speedo-odometer drive gears. It could be material selection or poor gear mesh as well. The added drag can cause cable failures too.

I have a small backpacker GPS made by Garmin. It is the Foretrex 101E, I believe. They make a bar mount bracket for it that fits 22mm bars. The bugger is perfect for those who just want a basic Nav aid. It is about the size of a small cell phone and weather proof. One of the backlit screen pages gives compass headings and current speed. It also has various odometer functions as well as many waypoints.

As far as a speedometer goes there are quite a few aftermarket electronic speedos that may be readily adapted and calibrated to your machine. Autometer makes a nice one. You can do a weeb search for the Foretrex and/or the Autometer.

Fred,

I have had similar problems on my 03 Corsa. The odo gears stripped out which was an issue since I used it to figure how much fuel I had left in the tank (sensor quit working). I managed to get one from Reboot guzzi Spares off an 04 Nero corsa. For the most part these ITI gauges are junk! I originally tried to have it repaired but Palo Alto Speedo couldn't help. Good luck!

http://www.rebootguzzispares.com/index.htm...frame.htm&2

-snip-

Can anyone point me to a dealer, anywhere, that might have one on hand? I'm desparate to put my bike back on the road, but not without being whole!

I'm also wondering if any other late V11 owners have experienced the same problem. (Cable problems excluded....that's been well covered!)

-snip-

Hi Fred, I've just been through the same scenario you are having. See this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...pid=110773&

I got my replacement fairly quickly (a relative term) from my dealer (Speed's Cycles) here in Maryland. I'm sure they would be happy to sell another one. <_ the referenced thread has part number. btw did your case come apart easily i have tried to get my old one try orwig fix but darned if can it open up with out a fight. at this point guess could butcher src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_luigi.gif" alt=":luigi:"> , but that defeats the purpose of trying to do a repair. Dismantling tips appreciated! Regards.

Hi Fred, I've just been throught the same scenario you are having. See this thread: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...pid=110773&

I got my replacement fairly quickly (a relative term) from my dealer (Speed's Cycles) here in Maryland. I'm sure they would be happy to sell another one. <_ the referenced thread has part number. btw did your case come apart easily i have tried to get my old one try orwig fix but darned if can it open up with out a fight. at this point guess could butcher src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_luigi.gif" alt=":luigi:"> , but that defeats the purpose of trying to do a repair. Dismantling tips appreciated! Regards.

The plastic silver ring /plastic glass pops off with delicate prying or prizing if you prefer. It snaps on the bucket with several very small plastic pins built onto the silver bezel ring ... most likely when done the pins will be fewer in number. I supplimented the reassembly with a dab of glue

The plastic silver ring /plastic glass pops off with delicate prying or prizing if you prefer. It snaps on the bucket with several very small plastic pins built onto the silver bezel ring ... most likely when done the pins will be fewer in number. I supplimented the reassembly with a dab of glue

It's not bonded in place? Well that's great!

Not wanting to destroy the bezel, I used an Xacto jewelers saw, and cut the case open, exactly one Scotch tape's width below the flange. This turned out to be the perfect place to open it.

Although there's no point in reassembling the old one, I plan to open up the new one immediately (if I ever receive it!), as I assume the lack of lube on the gears will lead to the same failure again.

Assuming I will cut it as I did the first, I haven't yet designed the closure. I won't glue it....but I think some sort of arrangement with locating pins and a band clamp will do very nicely. I will, however, try the bezel removal again on the new one, as that would be far better of course.

It's not bonded in place? Well that's great!

Not wanting to destroy the bezel, I used an Xacto jewelers saw, and cut the case open, exactly one Scotch tape's width below the flange. This turned out to be the perfect place to open it.

Although there's no point in reassembling the old one, I plan to open up the new one immediately (if I ever receive it!), as I assume the lack of lube on the gears will lead to the same failure again.

Assuming I will cut it as I did the first, I haven't yet designed the closure. I won't glue it....but I think some sort of arrangement with locating pins and a band clamp will do very nicely. I will, however, try the bezel removal again on the new one, as that would be far better of course.

I have a new speedo in the gay raj I can trade to you. Just send me the one you have on order, when you get it. PM me with your address.

My speedo quit on my '03 LeMans about a month after I got it. The odometer works fine, so I've never taken the trouble to fix it. I usually ride as fast as the prevailing conditions dictate anyway, regardless of the speed limit, so I really have no use for a speedometer.

snip

...but I think some sort of arrangement with locating pins and a band clamp will do very nicely. I will, however, try the bezel removal again on the new one, as that would be far better of course.

It's a tight fit between the housing of the speedo and the mounting bracket that it fits through. I don't see how you could get a clamp on it and then reassamble. Maybe the idea is to clamp it up after fitting it through the mounting bracket. :huh2:

Then the outer cover mounts to the studs which loads the housing in tension, seems tricky, best of luck.

I have a 2003 LeMans....what can I do to prevent this from happening to my bike as well? So far I havent noticed a problem. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Hello All,

I've had terminal failure of the speedometer on my '03 Le Mans. The local dealer has had the replacement on backorder for 4 weeks now, with no estimate of delivery. This is a black face/red needle unit, apparently made by ITI. I believe earlier ones were Veglia.

The speedometer function is still perfect- the odometer/trip meter gradually stopped. Upon opening the case, I found the main odo worm gear had worn itself away- clearly from lack of lubrication.

Regards.....

Fred Meyer

03 Le Mans

As usual, Todd at MPH pulled me out of the fire. I got tired of not having a speedo, so I called up Todd and sure enough, he had a new speedo and cable in stock. Trailered the bike from Oklahoma City to Houston and Mike fixed me right up. Those guys at MPH are amazing! Thanks Todd and Mike. :P

My '04 Ballabio came with a replacement speedo which now has 1000 miles on it. I cracked it open last night and gave it a good slathering of grease on all the gears. I'm lucky I did, they were pretty dry. The whole thing was easy to do. Sealed it back up with some RTV gasket stuff. Fingers are crossed that this will prevent future headaches.

My '04 Ballabio came with a replacement speedo which now has 1000 miles on it. I cracked it open last night and gave it a good slathering of grease on all the gears. I'm lucky I did, they were pretty dry. The whole thing was easy to do. Sealed it back up with some RTV gasket stuff. Fingers are crossed that this will prevent future headaches.
This would have been a great time to take some pics of the whole unofficial prying job and the dry gears being lubed, and have it posted under "how to" or FAQ. My speedo/odo/trip quit on my first trip from the dealer, just miles before I got home after about 700 mi in the rain. It was the cable, which was upgraded by MG. My local dealer ordered the new part but it took about 2 weeks to get it.