Inner Fender Mod

al_roethlisberger

You may remember a thread some months back where many of us were trying to track down the cause/source of clouded transmission fluid. After some investigation, it was determined that most likely culprit was water intrusion through the transmission breather located at the back of the transmission.

Although the V11 has a fender/hugger, there is no fender or barrier to debris directly behind the transmission(in front of the tire). So when riding through water, etc... this is slung almost perfectly at this fitting from the rotating tire.

While several fixes were discussed, the easiest seemed to be the installation of a triangular piece of plastic in the front of the swingarm. It proved nearly invisible, and should protect the rear of the engine/transmission.

So, since my bike was already apart... I went down to TAP Plastics and picked up some ABS. I cut a triangle about 10.5 inches wide, and 5 inches tall, with a cutout for the shock linkage at the top. I used the same "conduit hangars" as I used for me PCIII mount, and it seems to be a really good fit.

Following are some photos, although it's a bit hard to see once installed... which I guess is a good thing ^_^

BTW, I'm liking the look of the rear without the OEM hugger. I might leave that off for a while :)

triangle_fender1.jpg

Also, I've been disappointed from the start from the rear underfender, and how it ends right before the battery tray. This leaves several cables/wires exposed to debris, as well as just looking unfinished.

And with the OEM hugger removed, a little extra protection for this area and the shock would be a good idea. So I had a little more scrap ABS lying about and this is what I came up with...

This is the first mock-up:

under_fender.jpg

The finished version will extend another inch or two further to protect the shock, etc...

Also, in the photo it appears that the plastics dramatically do not match, but in more natural light, the add-on piece is nearly unnoticeable, and it's invisible from any angle other than looking up under the fender.

BTW, it uses all stock bolt locations. The bolt through the tool-tray and battery-tray simply have to be longer.

Both of these are an afternoon's job... and that's if you take it slow.

Very simple.

al

P.S. The measurements are 7.5 inches wide(at the widest) with a 1/2 inch indentation about 6 inches down. The length of the mock-up is 10.5 inches, but I think the final piece will be about 13 or 14 inches as long as it clears the shock/swingarm linkage.

Excellent Al, this is a mod I was planning also. You've beaten me to it. Nice work and excellent pics!

Almost thousand posts... You still have a day job? ^_^ I think I would fire you for being online so much! :D

Al, the swingarm thing is the way to do it, could take a piece of carbon for it, looks trick.

The gearboxvent thing, I have such a thing now to, is badly constructed. After a track day on Assen, I have seen some oil around it. So I'm planning to take the vent off and attach a piece of rubber to it, just like all 5 speed boxes have. It leaves the pressure out, but nothing in.

And for the underseat thing, Jaap should post a picture how his bike is there.

Excellent Al, this is a mod I was planning also. You've beaten me to it. Nice work and excellent pics!

Almost thousand posts... You still have a day job? ^_^ I think I would fire you for being online so much! :D

:lol: ...I've actually been on vacation over two of the past three weeks. While I honestly haven't been sitting in front of the PC, I do come in from the garage, etc... and peck on the computer for 30 minutes or so here and there.

The rest of the time though, I do leave the forum logged on at work as I sit in front of the computer all day.... and I'll check-in for a few minutes every hour or two between meetings and such. But honestly, even though I'm logged-in, I'm really only checking it out a handful of times a day.

...or do I protest too much :rolleyes:

al

Al, the swingarm thing is the way to do it, could take a piece of carbon for it, looks trick.

The gearboxvent thing, I have such a thing now to, is badly constructed. After a track day on Assen, I have seen some oil around it. So I'm planning to take the vent off and attach a piece of rubber to it, just like all 5 speed boxes have. It leaves the pressure out, but nothing in.

And for the underseat thing, Jaap should post a picture how his bike is there.

Paul, apologies, but I didn't quite get what you meant by saying "the swingarm thing is the way to do it" ...can you explain further?

And, could you possibly post a photo or describe in more detail how the 5-speed vent uses "a piece of rubber" to seal the vent instead of what the 6-speed units have today? I'm very interested in this as well.

thx :thumbsup:

al

While several fixes were discussed, the easiest seemed to be the installation of a triangular piece of plastic in the front of the swingarm. It proved nearly invisible, and should protect the rear of the engine/transmission.

This is what I meant with the swingarm thing.

I've been looking for a good picture from the 5 speed breather, The best I could find is this drawing:

mg_getr.gif

See part 27 and 28. the 27 won't fit, tried that one allready, smaller thread:-) So have to make something for that, basicaly a thing that fits the treath with a hole though it. And than push a rubber pipe over it, 10 inch long. It's so simple, and hard to discribe.