Engine Removal/Clutch Replacement How To

mznyc

Gathering info and parts to do a clutch replacement on the Scura.I couldn't find a "How To" on several searches on either the engine removal or clutch replacement.I'm hoping the wise "elders" who have owned and worked on multiple Guzzi's for decades and even the young bucks will chime in their advice and experiences on these procedures.Hopefully this will be successful and be deemed worthy as a "How To" article with photos!.

I have a 08 Griso twin plate assembly on order from Reboot.

I have a good selection of standard tools and the shop manual, other than the MG special tools for the clutch ,which I'm trying to locate if anyone has a set,what else could I use?

What gaskets,seals,parts should I replace,grease,or maintenance should I do while I have the engine out?

How to support and pull motor? I'm probably going to hoist it from above with a hoist and strap around spine(tank removed) support motor from underneath with a jack.

How to remove the clutch and re-assemble it.

Parts needed

Griso Twin Plate Assembly

Friction Plates,probably SD-Tecs

Seals ,Gaskets,etc

Procedures

To follow,....

Please add anything you can think of,hopefully this will a great value to others in the future who have to take on this job,...

Michael

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gathering info and parts to do a clutch replacement on the Scura.I couldn't find a "How To" on several searches on either the engine removal or clutch replacement.I'm hoping the wise "elders" who have owned and worked on multiple Guzzi's for decades and even the young bucks will chime in their advice and experiences on these procedures.Hopefully this will be successful and be deemed worthy as a "How To" article with photos!.

I have a 08 Griso twin plate assembly on order from Reboot.

I have a good selection of standard tools and the shop manual, other than the MG special tools for the clutch ,which I'm trying to locate if anyone has a set,what else could I use?

What gaskets,seals,parts should I replace,grease,or maintenance should I do while I have the engine out?

How to support and pull motor? I'm probably going to hoist it from above with a hoist and strap around spine(tank removed) support motor from underneath with a jack.

How to remove the clutch and re-assemble it.

Parts needed

Griso Twin Plate Assembly

Friction Plates,probably SD-Tecs

Seals ,Gaskets,etc

Procedures

To follow,....

Please add anything you can think of,hopefully this will a great value to others in the future who have to take on this job,...

Michael

I remember seeing a thread here with a complete teardown and replacement of the clutch system. Someone here will remember where it is and hopefully post the link to it here for you.

If I remember corectly, it was written by Pete Roper quite a few years ago, it was called Crabbing the Frame. Basicly I think you take off the fuel tank, seat, rear swing arm/rear wheel and hoist up the rear of the bike, making the front engine mount the pivot point to allow access to removing the transmission.

This way would save alot of time in a shop or if you were working against time.

Mike

Thanks for that link,I had found that previously.There's also this, albeit for a 5-speed which I would assume is very similar , http://archive.guzzitech.com/Clutch-joeM.html

I'm looking to create a more comprehensive and thourough article with pictures.Particularly for beginner,intermediate home mechanics such as myself.Many of you have been wrenching Guzzi's for years and decades and I'm trying to mine that experience for less en-lighntened while gathering info my own swap. :notworthy:

Keep the info,tips,suggestions,jokes and help coming,... :thumbsup:

The EV (Tonti frame) and Spine frames are completely different animals. The clutch replacement is the same, but engine/trans removal I think would be much different. I would use the method JRT's link has as it looks the best for what you are doing.

Keep us posted,

Mike

Thanks for that link,I had found that previously.There's also this, albeit for a 5-speed which I would assume is very similar , http://archive.guzzitech.com/Clutch-joeM.html

I'm looking to create a more comprehensive and thourough article with pictures.Particularly for beginner,intermediate home mechanics such as myself.Many of you have been wrenching Guzzi's for years and decades and I'm trying to mine that experience for less en-lighntened while gathering info my own swap. :notworthy:

Keep the info,tips,suggestions,jokes and help coming,... :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason.Yup read that one too.Lotta good stuff,the links to the pics aren't there. Are other people experiencing that? Wonder if that pushrod cup will be the same on the Griso clutch as the Scura.Pete at Reboot said I didn't need anything else and pushrod hub was correct.

Pete's article is great also but also no links to pics.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Link above pretty much covers what you need to know, pix or not. It will probably become clearer as you tackle it. You'll see the things you have to get out of the way/disconnect etc as you go along. It's a simple job but requires time, patience & logical thinking. Set aside enough time so as not to be rushed - that's when things start to go wrong! Have you got a workshop? Good light & a bit of space?

Do you have a workshop stand?

You don't have to have factory special tools, but you will need something to hold flywheel, hold clutch hub & centre clutch.

1. This tool made out of scrap: for holding flywheel & also for holding clutch hub.

For holding flywheel it sits on crankcase studs across flywheel (attaches to flywheel by flywheel bolt).

For holding clutch hub it is again held by crankcase studs while alloy plate sits on clutch hub splines.

2. You can use an old clutch hub to centre clutch assembly - a knackered one would do - maybe Reboot would chuck one in ?

3. Trolly on castors to sit engine on. This is very handy when dropping motor out & getting it out of the way, & also for offering it back up to the trans - can be fiddly to get aligned smack on esp if you're taking wt of motor - it is a heavy lump.

The Griso clutch centre button may well be different to the V11 one. I don't know. You will need to check. Also check clutch pushrod length & diameter re seals & actuating mechanism. Do double check all this to save the grief of getting it all back together & it not working!

Be very careful to centre clutch assembly as you tighten it up, if it is not centred you will damage it, & it will not work.

Label all the connectors & wires that you disconnect, & note routing of wires, cables, hoses etc. A few clear photographs can be very helpful.

If you get stuck re the tools I can lend them to you, but they are pretty rough & it hardly seems worth the cost of the postage - it really isn't difficult to make holding tools & they will serve you anytime you need again. The one above is just what I came up with using what I had to hand, there's loads of ways you could do something to do the jobs.

Good luck!

KB :sun:

V11 Flywheel & clutch hub tool.jpg

V11 Clutch hub.jpg

Pic 3: engine trolly

Mighty clever thingie, Baldini.... :thumbsup:

Søren

Hi Michael, I emailed you something about this way back in May 2007 when you were first thinking of doing the job! It's a description of how I went about it with my Scura - though I fitted a RAM replacement, not twin plater, which might make a difference. Anyway, if you haven't still got the email and you want me to re-send it let me know. Good luck. Phil

Thanks Keith great stuff,that info will help indeed! :bier:

Phil I forgot about your write-up which is excellent,I'll try to expound on it as my swap will be slightly different as I'm going to the 2-plater so this will help those thinking of going that direction.Thanks for the reminder,yours should be in the "How to: section :thumbsup:

I did the clutch on my 2000 V11 a few years back. Did the crabbing of the frame,to pull the trans out the back

take the porkchop off, I think the problem was with the right side. Do not mess with the swing arm adjusting

lock nut. That way when you put it back together it will be the same as it was.

I did the clutch on my 2000 V11 a few years back. Did the crabbing of the frame,to pull the trans out the back

take the porkchop off, I think the problem was with the right side. Do not mess with the swing arm adjusting

lock nut. That way when you put it back together it will be the same as it was.

Thanks for the advice Thumpoer.So did you remove the swingarm?I know some dont feel that it's necessary,others find it easier.I think pre 02' frames are slightly different,may not make a difference though,..