Fuel Leak around Pump

Keith Foster

Gents, I have fuel seeping from the flange that holds the fuel pump (I assume that is what is above this part) on the bottom of the tank. Small droplets form under the 7 mm hex head bolts, as you can see in the picture. After several minutes a drop falls on the RH throttle body. I've vaguely smelled a gasoline odor for a few months, but hadn't pinpointed its source until this week. 

I tried looking up what this assembly is made up of, but have not come across an on-line parts listing. My question is, is there an o-ring or a flat gasket that seals this flange/tank interface? Would anyone have a part number? My .pdf's of parts files only show the tank parts for the early year models.

It seems pretty straight forward to remove the tank, drain the fuel, remove the flange to fit a new seal. While it is apart I might as well replace the fuel filter too. Any other suggestions or tips related to this?

Thanks all, regards.

Fuel Leak.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the flange gasket in hand, it was a quick turnaround from Speed's Cycles. It's a pricy bugger @ $40, with shipping and tax a bit over $50 in the end. I've run the tank down pretty low, about 15 miles into the fuel light being on so I'm all set. Thanks for the tank off tip there Docc. Now to work in this project with other family stuff going on...stay tuned.

IMG_0552.JPG

Good going, Keith! I linked this thread in the checklist. PM me anything else you think I should include or amend, especially for the later style tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You do know how to remove the fuel line quick (they can be quick or not quick)connect fitings ? 

Push the hose against the fitting , push the white part against the hose , while holding these two parts together , remove the line.

Ethanol strikes again? I've got this later style 'in-tank' pump too...gonna keep an eye on this area.

I don't think so. I think it is more of a 10 year old rubber seal/gasket finally crying uncle. Maybe you are right, it's hard to say.

My angle on the ethanol issue is, it seems that the people that have troubles (tank swell, etc.) have fuel sitting in the tanks for months at a time.

I've attributed my lack of ethanol issues that I'm circulating fresh fuel by riding, even in the winter months, not a lot mind you, but a gallon or so a month I'd guess. :2c:

gtallons - yep, I do know the hose disconnect technique. I haven't gotten very far on this job between painting my family room, some work OT and the holiday stuff - I hate it when life gets in the way! ;)

IMG_0558.JPG

OK, the long Thanksgiving holiday let me knock out some things. Now, time to tackle this fix. It is a small 1st step, but the start none the less.

1) Seat off

2) Tank bolt out

3) A block of wood to raise the back of the tank lets you reach in/under to remove the fuel supply + return lines (thanks for the reminder on the push/pull technique gstallons), and the electrical plugs (two if them).

4) Lift up on the front of the tank, reach in and pull off the cap drain line.

5) Remove tank! I'd run the fuel level low, but I still took the tank outside and poured out what I could get out into a funnel/jug.

Stay tuned for the next installment...

Next step, loosening the mounting bolts and removing the heart of the matter. This was straightforward, loosened them evenly and the unit came away from the bottom of the tank freely. The gasket/seal looked quite good, it wasn't degraded noticeably. I thought I might see some telltale sign of failure, but I can't really pinpoint anything, oh well.

The inside of the tank looks fine, I'll post some close ups of the pump and filter too.

IMG_0559.JPG

Thanks for the photos! Been working on my tank over the holiday too, patching up the heat shielding with stainless tape. I haven't taken out the fuel pump yet, but I may be doing that soon...there's that darn fuel filter!

I might have found a replacement tank for mine, and I probably should get a new gasket and fuel filter before installing a new tank. Let us know if you find the leak. I am also still looking for those darn replacement

fuel line quick connect fittings (grey).

This is a close up of the pump assembly, my mind tells me electrical wiring sits in submerged gasoline all the time in millions of vehicles, but it still sort of freaks me out a little to see it. From the direction arrow on the fuel filter the black hose on the left carries pressurized fuel heading to the injectors. The tan fabric thing is the pre-filter on the fuel pump intake, get down to there and you are really "running on fumes". I wonder what the metal nipple thing is below the green loop of wire. It looks like a hose would connect to that, maybe for some other application. Wait, I think it is for the returning fuel as it lines up with the white elbow. More pictures next..

IMG_0560.JPG