Rear drive needle bearing and swing arm restoration

Bjorn

Yeah i went to TLM. I was amazed they employed around 4 mechanics, doing only guzzis. I was told they are over 30 years in business, they must be doing something right :) And a big plus for me is they stock a lot of parts/spares.

Since I got the box of anyway, and the paint wasnt looking very ''crisp'' I decided this was a good time to paint the thing. Sanding was a real pain in the :moon:  due to all the nooks and crannies. The oil residue wasnt helping either. 

20140216_122217.jpg

I bought some 2K primer and paint in a aerosol can. Never used 2k before but so far, im happy with the result. Painted some parts for my other bike as well, since you can only use the paint for a short while after mixing.

20140216_153747.jpg

20140221_174053.jpg

Time will tell how long it will last.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to wrap this up. I got all my parts together and finished most of it last weekend. I had the swingarm coated black since its covered by the hugger anyways.

20140301_122856.jpg

I bought the swingarm bearing online, way cheaper than the ''official'' guzzi stuff. The part number can be seen in the picture below.

20140301_124802.jpg

20140301_125710.jpg

In order to protect the coating of the swingarm and other parts from all the debris of the road, I made two aluminum covers.

20140302_171419.jpg

The mounted pictures arent to good, but the idea is clear.

20140302_180311.jpg

20140302_180457.jpg

And thats it for the ''swingarm chapter'' :)

• Like 2

O and last but not least, the needle bearing that started this thread.

Here the old and new needle inner bushing, quite a difference huh ;)

20140301_134843.jpg

20140301_142110.jpg

20140301_142200.jpg

ill check back in (hopefully) lots of miles later :D

• Like 1

On 3/5/2014 at 2:54 PM, Bjorn said:

Haha, nothing you cant fix with a hammer :D

Especially a very good hammer! With what looks like, in your pictures, tools of Gedore-Vanadium!

DSCN1122.JPG

Hey Bjorn, have you already reassembled everything? If not, I was wondering if you could tell what the dimensions are for those two big bolts. I'm searching for them, part number is 04558700, but so far have not found the specs... Thanks!

Hi,

Yeah the bike is already back together. I looked at the parts book, and saw both bolts have a different p/n. Cant understand why, never paid to much attention to the bolts but they looked identical to me. The other part is stated as: bolt M10x69 (mm) (p/n GU30357800). Seems like a standard metric bolt although i cant find the pitch.

Yeah, that one I found. It's part number 11 on the exploded parts diagram that I can't find specs for. No worries, I'll just pull one out and measure it :)

• 2 years later...

Reviving thread after a couple years dormancy...

I was almost discouraged from even trying to remove the swingarm bearings by reading this thread - and I'm posting to say it can be done.

I was able to get the bearings out with heat on the swingarm (not directly to bearing) and a slide hammer that I bought today at Harbor Freight. There was absolutely no movement without heat. After I applied heat they came out with about 20 impacts. I did bend the slide hammer shaft - so I'm taking it back tomorrow for a refund. I will buy a higher quality tool next time I need one.

IMG_5315.jpg

I'm going to take the swingarm in for powdercoating.

• 1 month later...

I fault the cheap Harbor Freight tool for the bend, and do not credit my herculean strength.

I froze the swingarm bearings (to shrink them) and set the swingarm in the sun to heat it up a bit (probably not hot enough to expand it, but that was my theory). I also used some very fine sandpaper to smooth out the bores where the bearings needed to go - I could feel a few small rough spots, which I assume were due to friction on removal and/or sandblasting.

Then I used one of the old bearings as a bearing-driver to hammer the bearings in. You have to keep looking to make sure the bearings are going in straight - and adjust the hammer-strikes to level them out if they start to tilt. And have a soft surface underneath - like a block of wood covered with a towel - so you don't mess up your fresh powdercoat.   :oldgit:

Just as I got the first bearing started, a neighbor dropped by, wanted to chat. I said - frozen bearing, hot swingarm, please wait. Once that bearing starts to heat up, it will expand - so drive it in briskly.

Just as I got the first bearing started, a neighbor dropped by, wanted to chat. I said - frozen bearing, hot swingarm, please wait. Once that bearing starts to heat up, it will expand - so drive it in briskly.

:grin: Happens every time. 

HF must have found a cheaper supplier. Mine has a black oxide finish. I've pulled many blind bearings with it without issue. Or, maybe you're just a cave man.  :rasta:  :)