Installing SpeedHut gauges

Kiwi_Roy

I removed the gauges and am sending them in for a re-do. I do regret getting the buttons on the faces and not getting the logos, but was willing to live with it. But I remained concerned about the size and accuracy of the oil pressure sender. Then I went for a night ride and the four white gauges were just too much (even though I did like them during the day). So I am going to copy Chamberlin's setup - imitation sometimes really is the most sincere form of flattery.

The changes will cost me about $185 as follows:

• $90 is to upgrade to the better oil pressure gauge with smaller sender (this is just the difference in price between the two gauges; they are giving me full credit for the one I'm returning). The sender for the entry-level gauge just seems like too much weight at an angle on aluminum threads in the block - and the sender is apparently prone to problems. My first sender was bad. The technician didn't even question it, I guess they have had several problems with that sender.
  • $40 is for options that I didn't originally choose: $10 each for remote buttons and $10 each for logos.
  • The balance is for new faces, two of which need to be done anyway to get rid of the holes for the buttons.
  • Rationalization alert: since I caught their 15% off sale in March, my total cost after re-do is about the same as I would have paid at any other time. This is how I make myself feel better...

There are a lot of options that are not obvious during the ordering process. For example, you can get an inverter with a dimmer (to make the white gauges bearable at night). So, for anyone else considering Speedhut, try to talk with a technician before ordering.

Let me just echo Roy's enthusiasm for Speedhut's flexibility. I'm amazed that they will take these back and re-work them. Only the oil gauge is a problem, the other changes are just my preferences. I can't think of another company that will re-work custom-ordered product after it's been installed. 

• 1 month later...

Got the gauges installed again today after the above-referenced rework. Here's the oil pressure sender that goes with the upgraded gauge. It's much smaller and I mounted it with an elbow to keep the wires away from the cylinder fins. This one comes with a wire with quick-disconnect plugs.

IMG_3289.jpg

I also got the remote button option for the tach and speedo so there would not be any holes in the glass. The button is only needed once for the tach (to calibrate to match the pulse per revolution signal) so I did not install the button for that. But I did install the button for the speedo - because it resets the trip meter. I drilled a hole near where the trip reset knob used to be.

IMG_3330.jpg

And here's a look with the bars turned to the left. I used the logos from Chamberlin and copied all his other style choices too. However, I did make the eagle bigger, because I didn't get the extra lights in the gauges, and I asked Speedhut to reverse the eagle on the tach so they face each other. The oil pressure gauge is mounted to the fairing and doesn't turn, so it looks crooked in the picture - but all the gauges are level when the bars are straight.

IMG_3332.jpg

Scud- Once again, great work, thanks so much for posting the details of your projects!

• 1 month later...

Very nice Scud! I can't remember what tach pulse setting I changed mine too, but I remember it was only one tick off from where it needed to be.

Regarding the logos etc., it's just a matter of emailing them your logos and their artist/proofer will get back to you with proofs before they commit to the design. They are very meticulous, and we moved my Guzzi eagle about 3 times (just mm's) before I was happy. Here is what the online configurator looks like. P.s. I'm willing to email anybody here my digital logos that I made for these gauges.

Chamberlain,

Your gauges look fantastic! I would greatly appreciate getting your logos emailed. Thanks.

alanpratt02@comcast.net

• Like 1

Chamberlain,

Your gauges look fantastic! I would greatly appreciate getting your logos emailed. Thanks.

alanpratt02@comcast.net

Just go back one page on this thread, click the images in Chamberlain's post. When they open in a new pop-up window, you can then click the "save" button and you will have the files.

• 1 month later...

How large is the GPS receiver, and where could one tuck it in on a Sport?

Docc, there's a few shots of it in my thread and videos, but here's a quick one for you showing the size and where I decided to place it.

2014-08-03174251_zpsa4321094.jpg

Great information in this thread.  I just bought a Speedhut GPS speedometer for my 2004 Billabio and hope to start the install this week.  The instructions talk about the hot start feature (red/black wire)  that keeps the GPS powered up.  Instructions say this draws 25 micro-amps.  Maybe I missed it in your wiring diagram, but did you wire the hot start to a constant 12 volt source?

I'm not sure what Chamberlin did, but I didn't bother to connect to constant voltage. I left that wire unconnected.

The only time this bothers me is if I turn the key off and back on again quickly.  For example, if I get gas, I cannot reset the trip-odometer until the GPS signal has been locked on again. However, my workaround is just to reset the trip odometer before I turn the bike off at the gas station. Otherwise it takes maybe 10-30 seconds to lock the signal on again - and the speedometer does not register speed until it locks the signal.

So, it's not a big deal, but If I were to do it over again (or have reason to be in there again), I would take the time to connect it. You can probably tap into a hot wire that leads to the ignition switch.

Scud,

Thanks for the response.  I 'hope' to start working on this tomorrow.  I may or may not post pictures as I doubt that my work would pass muster when compared with what you and Chamberlin did.  I will however, note my success or failure with the project.

I also took the cheap way out and am only replacing the speedo.  I figure I'll replace the tach when it breaks or when I decide this bike is a reasonably long term addition to the stable.

Mike

I'll have to check yours out Mike.  The greenie speedo has never been quite right.  It stopped altogether on a trip recently and my watched stopped too.  I got a battery for my watch and the speedo started working again in its jumpy intermittent way.  Weird.  

I am actually planning to camp at Luckenbach at the Harvest Classic in a couple of weeks.  You're welcome to visit my trailer and have dinner or whatever.  I was planning to take my Cal EV too but I have to get the TPS sorted first.  I'll get my plans in place when the trip gets closer.

I'll have to check yours out Mike.  The greenie speedo has never been quite right.  It stopped altogether on a trip recently and my watched stopped too.  I got a battery for my watch and the speedo started working again in its jumpy intermittent way.  Weird.  

I am actually planning to camp at Luckenbach at the Harvest Classic in a couple of weeks.  You're welcome to visit my trailer and have dinner or whatever.  I was planning to take my Cal EV too but I have to get the TPS sorted first.  I'll get my plans in place when the trip gets closer.

John,

I usually ride out Saturday morning and check out the bikes in the contest.  Keep me posted on your plans.

Mike

I usually ride out Saturday morning and spend part of the day.

How large is the GPS receiver, and where could one tuck it in on a Sport?

Docc, there's a few shots of it in my thread and videos, but here's a quick one for you showing the size and where I decided to place it.

Great information in this thread.  I just bought a Speedhut GPS speedometer for my 2004 Billabio and hope to start the install this week.  The instructions talk about the hot start feature (red/black wire)  that keeps the GPS powered up.  Instructions say this draws 25 micro-amps.  Maybe I missed it in your wiring diagram, but did you wire the hot start to a constant 12 volt source?

Thanks for the good words! You should see Scud's work too - he's a perfectionist who actually rides his bikes!

I've only got about 60 miles on my V11 since the rebuild! :( Too many other projects going on! Anyways, that leads me in to your answer about the constant voltage tap. I did not hook that up, as I just don't ride enough; the battery would have extra drain for no reason (I do realize 25uA isn't squat BTW). I always tender my batteries (rotate weekly between bikes), but just didn't see the point for my install. Plus, the GPS boots pretty quick for me anyways... good luck on your install!

There are a bunch of options that I don't use, such as.

• 0-60 time - who cares?
  • Top speed - I'd rather not have that recorded, thank-you.
  • I think I did see altitude on one of the screens. Interesting, but I know the approximate altitude most of the time anyway.

I just thought GPS was kind of cool - and it saved me from doing one additional task of figuring out the local signal (as you did). I leave it on the same screen all the time - the only thing I care about is how many total miles and how many miles since my last fill-up.

@Chamberlin - I'm going to make it to Oro Valley one day and you will be morally obligated to put some miles on that V11.

Got the gauges installed again today after the above-referenced rework. Here's the oil pressure sender that goes with the upgraded gauge. It's much smaller and I mounted it with an elbow to keep the wires away from the cylinder fins. This one comes with a wire with quick-disconnect plugs.

IMG_3289.jpg

I also got the remote button option for the tach and speedo so there would not be any holes in the glass. The button is only needed once for the tach (to calibrate to match the pulse per revolution signal) so I did not install the button for that. But I did install the button for the speedo - because it resets the trip meter. I drilled a hole near where the trip reset knob used to be.

IMG_3330.jpg

And here's a look with the bars turned to the left. I used the logos from Chamberlin and copied all his other style choices too. However, I did make the eagle bigger, because I didn't get the extra lights in the gauges, and I asked Speedhut to reverse the eagle on the tach so they face each other. The oil pressure gauge is mounted to the fairing and doesn't turn, so it looks crooked in the picture - but all the gauges are level when the bars are straight.

I might put  blob of epoxy on those exposed wires.

I think I asked before, but where did you get those reservoirs? Slick.