Oil Filters, Installation and Tightening FAQ

Oil Filter Installation and Tightening FAQ

Introduction:
------------------

It has been discovered that several examples exist where the oil filter has backed off during engine operation on late model Moto Guzzis with internal oil filters.

Several theories exist regarding the potential cause, which run the gamut from inferior product to improper installation.

As this is a critical, and near instantaneously disastrous failure, a FAQ suggesting reliable installation procedures is warranted.

Moto Guzzi UFI Filter and Alternatives:
---------------------------------------------------

UFI: 2328700
Purolator: L10241 $5-6 or ML16822 ("stock replacement") $12-13

Research:
--------------

There are different schools of thought regarding hand tightening the filter, or using a wrench(torque or otherwise). But it seems clear that the following research indicates the degree to which the filter should be snugged regardless of installation method.

Also, as a safeguard, it has been suggested that the use of a large metal band hose clamp around the filter can prevent the filter from backing off. See the link below from "Big Daddy" for details and photos on this topic.

The following research was provided by Ryland3210(John):

Oil Filter Tightening

Summary of oil filter research and tightening by the turns method:

In the case of the UFI '05 version, the groove in the can was 0.225 inches deep.
The gasket was 0.275 thick.
The thread was 3/4-16, or a pitch of 0.0625 inches per turn.
From the point where the gasket makes contact with the block, it can be squeezed another 0.275 - 0.225 = 0.050 inches before the can contacts the block. That requires 0.050/0.0625 = 0.8 turns
At that point the gasket is squeezed to 0.225/0.275 = 81.8%. That is the maximum the filter can design will allow. Good industry practice calls for squeezing gaskets to 70%, which would require more turns than the UFI filter allows. That's why, if I were to use the UFI's, I would turn them until the filter can bottoms out at about 0.8 turns, and apply a tad more torque to hopefully prevent them loosening.

By comparison, in the case of a Purolator filter I measured the following:
Gasket was 0.250 thick, groove was 0.175 deep, same thread pitch.
The filter can bottoms out at 0.075 inches, or 1.2 turns.
At that point, the gasket is squeezed to 70%, consistent with industry practice.
Other factors are in the design of the groove, which also favor the Purolator design.
Details on this are on the earlier threads.
With this type of filter design, I find it requires quite a bit of torque to get to one turn, which is my personal minimum. Even with my good squash playing arm, I find this difficult without a wrench unless the filter location is easy to get good leverage on. A filter wrench is a must for me on the Guzzi. With the filters I use, I'll tighten more than one turn to about 1-1/8 turns from gasket contact, unless it bottoms out, which I can feel by a sudden increase in torque required.

Filter cover tools:

There may be a tool for the cover in the tool kit.
"Oil filter removal tips, Going through the "manhole cover", by Steve G.:
"I bought a 27mm [or more easily found imperial equivalent] bolt, and two nylock nuts for it. I cranked the 2 nuts tightly together on one end, and use the bolt head to go into the filter access 'plate'. $5cdn. Not the slightest increase possibility of cross threading the plate compared to the M.G. tool.
Don't fool around with the wrong filter wrench. Get the proper number of 'flutes', or flat parts that the filter has. A fram filter of the same size and fitting, the number of flutes are less than on an OEM UFI filter. A filter wrench regularly found in North America has a flute number different from the UFI. You will have to buy the wrench from a Motion Pro outlet, probably your nearest bike shop, where I got mine.
Ciao, Steve G.

Anonymous suggestion: "Alternative: A 27 mm nut tack welded to 12" of steel bar stock cost about $3 at y'er local welding shop and works like a Champ

V11 Forum Topics:
--------------------------

Oil Filter Failure And Tips Thread

Big Daddy Pictorial Using Hose Clamp To Secure Filter

FAQ Administrative Contact:
--------------------------------------

Please feel free to contact this FAQ's administrator via Forum Private Message (email messages do not reach me at this time) to submit new information or suggest corrections.

Ryland3210

• 1 year later...

UPDATE March 26, 2008

Further analysis showed that the UFI and Purolator filters use gasket material of the same durometer-no difference there.

However, the dimensions of the UFI filter's gasket groove prevent tightening it until the can bottoms out, because the gasket extrudes outside the groove before that happens.

The Purolator design permits the gasket to be compressed for more turns than the UFI, and the can will bottom out before the gasket extrudes. This permits the gasket to act like a longer spring, so that the prevailing friction of the gasket against the flange decreases less if the filter tends to loosen. Since the gasket does not extrude, exceeding the compressive yield strength is prevented, so the gasket has a better chance of staying elastic.

Other filters which will fit are:

Fram PH6022 stock replacement around $5-6 at Advance Auto, no specs provided by mfr.

Champion (Wally World) ST3614, used by some Guzzisti's, no specs provided by mfr.

I have not inspected the Fram filters, so no comment.

The Champion's gasket design is midway between the UFI and Purolator designs. I have no comment on the media.