ireland meeting 2007

ferguzzi

I decided to go down this year, as I missed last year, and haven't seen another guzzi in the flesh for a while. The meet was in insheegeela, in Cork, same as always. I've moved to Clare now, near Limerick in the southwest, so the trip to cork was a short 3 hours. We got there late, so checked into the (one and only) b and b in the village and went down for a few pints.

There was about 20 guzzis parked outside ranging from v7s,older le mans, a couple of grisos, some older shite I couldn't recognise, and a norge. Nearly all the bikes were from the uk, as were most of the people in the bar. Suffice to say, a good night was had by all, and lasted into the very wee hours. I love lock-ins!

There seems to be a reluctance on the forum to explain what happened at the 2006 meet, I reckoned something must have happened, as this wasn't an official uk guzzi club meet, as it has been for the last 2 years.

Anyway, being the nosy bugger that I am, I asked just about everyone, and got about 20 different answers, varying from the silly to the vaguely plausible, but the general concensus was that whatever happened was a shame, was down to one or two individuals and a lot of drink, and with any luck next year the full meet should be re instated.

Certainly this year was a laugh.

The next morning, we had a lovely breakfast and said our fond farewells to the sasanachs( or sasanaigh.. damn my Irish is terrible), but not before Lorcan from Dublin gave me and Angela a spin on the norge.

It seems what I took for an enjoyable jaunt the day before had been torture for the mrs. and she's had enough. I can't blame her, she's 6 foot tall and I made the mistake of renting an electra glide in the states last year and now she realises not all bikes have to be a pain.

Long story short, we're buying a norge next year. I'm thinking of buying in Mandello, and riding it home over a month. I don't know if you can buy direct from the factory or not. I've dealt with the bike shop next door, and they were very good, so maybe I'll do that. Watch this space.

We then rode home under blue skies(remember them), and that's about it.

I'm going to try to attach a few photos of the more unusual guzzis, but bear with me, it may not work. If it doesn't I'll get the mrs. to do it in a few days.

The bikes are, er, a red one and a blue one. the blue one was sick, and firing on one cylinder. Luckily it lived in Cork.

The red one is, um, older. I think I'll leave it at that....

Actually I just figured out I cant attach the photos because they're too big. Gimme a couple of days and I'll try again when I've dicked about with them.

Fergal.

Hi Fergal

Glad you had a great time in Inchigeelagh- I loved riding around the Beare Peninsular last year in the blazing sunshine.

Basically last year,on the last night some lads from somewhere in the north of Ireland were having a good time, drinking beer and singing songs. Nothing wrong with that- we all do that- but as time was moving well into the early hours of the morning they got louder so one of the ladies camping asked them very politely if they would mind moving a bit further down away from the tents- and she was told to "@#!#$# off back to your own country, you English so and so. We spent hundreds of years getting rid of you and you are not welcome etc...." Actually the poor girl was Austrian, but obviously the abuse was totally out of order- and this was so loud all the campers, many of whom were wide awake heard this exchange.

Then later on, some lads were walking around the campsite, goading people to come out of their tents for a fight, and threatening to kick the bikes over- they left after nobody sunk to their challenge and kicked over the wheelie bins- rock and roll!

It left a bit of a bad taste after a great weekend of nice rides, good company and great riding. Normally bike rallies bond people together, and I fully appreciate this was an isolated incident caused by a minority of idiots who could not take their beer, and full credit to all the other campers who showed remarkable restraint. I've always enjoyed good hospitality and excellent company in Ireland and I am sure I could go back another twenty times and this would never happen again.

The individuals concerned were later identified and I believe the main protaganist wrote a letter of apology to the Guzzi Club GB- matter closed hopefully.

Guy :helmet:

Well, I am very dissappointed that anybody had to witness that, it's probably just as well I wasn't there, as I would have felt I had to get involved, which would probably have ended stupidly.

The only vaguely plus side was you say they were not locals. Any type of racist/sectarian comments like that would be almost unheard of in the south, and considered in extremely poor taste. We do pride ourselves in our hospitality after all. God knows, we've got other faults!

Please don't let it put you off next year!

Here's a couple of photos of a few of the bikes. Don't ask me what they are....! oldguzzi3ork07.jpg oldguzzi3ork07.jpg oldguzzi3ork07.jpg oldguzzi3ork07.jpg

well that only sort of worked. Lets try again.0ldguzzicrk07.jpg 0ldguzzicrk07.jpg

well, they're worth loking at more than once.oldguzzi2ork07.jpg