sump removal

...Of course there was one last allen cap screw with a round hole -cut a slot for a screwdriver with a very carefully applied hacksaw, & though impact driver wouldn't budge it, hammering in a big torx bit & a sharp twist with a ratchet did.

Clever me, I thought, self-satisfied until I found myself a complete beginner again -can't find a safe place to lever it against, tried tapping the lugs with a length of birch & a hammer- but the sump is very firmly in place... anyone want to tell an old man what he must've forgotten? (2000 California Jackal)

Guest ratchethack

DWRD, I b'ieve you may've overlooked the 4 long screws (I think it's 4?) in the middle of the Jackal sump.

NOTE: The Jackal sump is entirely different than V11 sumps. Not only does it have these "middle long screws", but it has the oil filter "upside-down" on the sump itself, rather than bolted up to the oil pressure relief assembly as with V11's.

Any Q's on this, Big Daddy has the answers HERE:

http://www.motoguzzishop.com/Big_Daddy/Big..._oil_change.htm

Good luck. :luigi:

DWRD, I b'ieve you may've overlooked the 4 long screws (I think it's 4?) in the middle of the Jackal sump.

NOTE: The Jackal sump is entirely different than V11 sumps. Not only does it have these "middle long screws", but it has the oil filter "upside-down" on the sump itself, rather than bolted up to the oil pressure relief assembly as with V11's.

Any Q's on this, Big Daddy has the answers HERE:

http://www.motoguzzishop.com/Big_Daddy/Big..._oil_change.htm

Good luck. :luigi:

Ratchethack, I thought I was being soppy posting that question... thankfully I didn't (i hope!) hit the lugs hard, & all will be undamaged. Thank you more than I can say, I'll have to get you a beer some day!

Guest ratchethack

Thank you more than I can say, I'll have to get you a beer some day!

Por nada, mi compadre. -_-

And I'd more'n gladly accept cwrw gorau Cymru! Iechyd da! :bier:

Por nada, mi compadre. -_-

And I'd more'n gladly accept cwrw gorau Cymru! Iechyd da! :bier:

OH! Dwy ddim siarad Cymraeg iawn, Buttie... not even as good as you are at Espanol! We won't get into the Welsh Knot here. You are a man of many talents... if you should venture this far though, you'll find a Welsh welcome, with the right stuff tipped in your glass. Otherwise we'll have to wait til the sprockets have flown the nest & the Mrs & me pay a trip to U.S...

Sump came off so damn easy I felt even sillier. There's a shiny thin gasket with AFM REINZ 39 all over it, looks good for another throw -may use a little hylomar blue, tiny smears of which I see in the nylon gauze filter -the only foreign body in what looks to be immaculate oil, the barest trace of sludge- though the guy I bought the bike off told me it was due a change. When I buy an old bike (I've never bought a new motor), I wait in case there's a nasty surprise, but my smile just keeps broadening... :mg:

There's a shiny thin gasket with AFM REINZ 39 all over it, looks good for another throw -may use a little hylomar blue, tiny smears of which I see in the nylon gauze filter -the only foreign body in what looks to be immaculate oil, the barest trace of sludge-

I wouldn't be tempted to use any form of Gorilla Snot on the gasket. Just wipe it over with some oil and it should last many oil filter changes. Same goes for the rocker cover gaskets - I've got about three pairs of the things hanging on the workshop wall and the only time I use them is on a new (to us) bike where someone has used plastic gasket on it!

GJ

I wouldn't be tempted to use any form of Gorilla Snot on the gasket. Just wipe it over with some oil and it should last many oil filter changes. Same goes for the rocker cover gaskets - I've got about three pairs of the things hanging on the workshop wall and the only time I use them is on a new (to us) bike where someone has used plastic gasket on it!

GJ

:thumbsup:

Guest ratchethack

We won't get into the Welsh Knot here.

I should say knot! ;) Nor will the likes of meself be wearin' it here, my friend!! ;)

...if you should venture this far though, you'll find a Welsh welcome, with the right stuff tipped in your glass. Otherwise we'll have to wait til the sprockets have flown the nest & the Mrs & me pay a trip to U.S...

Many thanks in advance for the kind offer, DWRD. And the same goes here. There's a certain Prince o' Wales bar at one o' my favorite spots on the beach. That'd be Hotel Del Coronado, Coronado Island, San Diego, California, where I'd also be pleased to accept your offer! Yes, as you might expect, they're well stocked with Welsh brews! :bier: