Lube Poll Synthetic vs. Conventional

dlaing

16 members have voted

1. 1. Lube Poll Synthetic vs. Conventional

• CONVENTIONAL OIL lasts more than half as much as synthetic.
    • SYNTHETIC OIL lasts more than twice as much as conventional.

I think y'all get the idea. I am sure everyone has different ideas about how often to change, and how pricey of oil to buy. You can get conventional oil from about $1-$5/quart and synthetic from about $3-$12/quart. This poll assumes that you will be changing the oil at 6000 Miles if using synthetic, and every 3000 Miles using conventional oil. It sure seems to make sense that synthetic can save time and money if you can really go twice as far between oil changes. So in a sense the question is: Do you think you can go twice as far on a synthetic?

With all due respect I do not think this poll choices are well done. I ts not so important how long any oil will last since after a while all combustion byproducts and acids will accumulate.

What is really important is that synthetic oil will protect the engine better and in more variety of temperatures. What made me a believer was a simple experiment which I do not think many people bothered to do.

I did two things: first, took a favourite mineral oil and one of synthetics, rated with the same grades, in two separate small containers.Then I stuck them in the freezer for the night and poured them into the sink next morning.

The other experiment is also revealing. Take two metal jar lids and pour these two oils in them. Them put them on the stove (I have the gas stove with a real flame).

After you have it done any questions and doubts about which oil you should use will dissappear forever.

Guest hyper

Janusz, your experiment shows the two extremes that an oil must endure. This is where synthetics shine, a traffic jam on a 100 degree day etc. cold weather isn't apart of the guzzi lifestyle ,but it sure is for heavy duty equipment and autos. If you can afford the bucks there is no doubt that synthetics rule. Hyper Al

Thank you for your criticism of the poll. I was not sure how to construct the poll. I was hoping for more opinions and expected some flack(disagreement). I think we all know that synthetics are better when new and that they last longer. I think any oil will protect well enough when very new. It is when it becomes old that I worry.

The breaking point of opinions that I was after, was which oil do you trust more just before an oil change.

Engine damage is most likely to occur when the oil is wornout or contaminated, ie. just before an oil change.

I am curious what would happen with the stove top experiment when the synthetic is 6000 miles old versus a conventional oil with 3000 miles. Will a six month old synthetic with 6000 miles perform better than a three month old conventional oil with 3000 miles.

I have been using a $6/quart semi-synthetic motorcycle oil and changing it every 2000 - 3000 miles. I think I am ready to switch to a full synthetic oil, changed every 6000 miles. What is the cheapest oil I can trust to go 6000 miles with good protection? Pep Boys (no name) synthetic, Valvoline synthetic, Castrol Syntec, Mobile One, Shell, Golden Spectro, Rock Oil, Red Line, Agip, or Amsoil? Your opinions are appreciated. :helmet:

Since you asked for it,here goes opinion of mine:

1 - Forget semi-synthetic forever. After reading plethora of information about all the motor oils (good example:http://forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=004152&p=) I came to conclusion that nowadays you can buy any good 100% synthetic which is based on group l or ll basestocks for the lower price then you admit paying for semi-synthetic ($6). Good example fot our bike is Mobil 1 15W/50 which I buy at Walmart for $6.25Can. All these oils are absolutely amazing with a huge margin of quality over what we really need.

2 - I am sure that the experiment would show used synthetic as better then even NEW mineral. But why stop there? You can easily have your oil analyzed and have it done for once and for all.

Guest marcialc

this is quite interestings...I just had the 1000 mile service performed. When I took the bike in, I asked about the type of oil that the dealer was using for the service and whether or not it was a full synthetic oil.

The response I got was that a synthetic oil is better for the engine once the engine is "broken in". They told me that during the breaking in period, a natural organic oil is fine. :unsure:

any comments???

Many people say that and it has a base on common logic too. On the other hand though many high end engines come with synthetic straight from the factory.

But still, our engine is supposedly an ancient one, so maybe you should wait till break-in process is done and only then switch to synthetic.

But on the other hand somebody stated, and I believe it, that a racing Agip oil filled at the factory is already a synthetic oil so what to do?

My opinion is that it all really does not matter that much at all. Personally, since I allowed the dealer to do a first service (a mistake IMO) since it was free as a part of the deal and he changed to a mineral oil anyways, I run it till 10,000 km and just recently switched to my favourite synthetic.

And then surprise!? The engine runs better :rolleyes: .

Just switched to synthetic in transmission while the engine is hot after the ride. I used Redline Shockproof Heavy. Will report if any changes noticed.

current vote 9 to 1. Not unanimous, but enough to make me move from semi-synthetic every 3000 miles to synthetic every 6000. I should be able to trust it for the life of the oil filter, which is probably about 6000 miles(safe estimate). Perhaps an Amsoil oil filter will last 10000 miles???