Anybody taken this road?

ALdad

South of Big sur a little below Lucia,and Limekiln State park is a road off Hwy 1, Nacimiento Furgusson RD. It goes thru the fort hunter military reservation. It goes over the Mtn. and ends up hooking up with 101. Anybody done this? The google sattllite look like a solitary twisty jont. Any thoughts?

South of Big sur a little below Lucia,and Limekiln State park is a road off Hwy 1, Nacimiento Furgusson RD. It goes thru the fort hunter military reservation. It goes over the Mtn. and ends up hooking up with 101. Anybody done this? The google sattllite look like a solitary twisty jont. Any thoughts?

Lots of pictures of that road over on Pashnit.com

If you post a query over there, I'm sure you'll get some knowledgeable responses :)

That road is not far from my house. If you like the tight and twisty you will love Nacimiento Furgusson, I do and it is one of my favorite roads. From Highway 1 you run up a steep hillside. This part of the road requires a lot of care, it is generally dirty (rocks, sand, etc.), has no guardrails and steep cliffs on the outside. Beautiful views of the pacific coast, stop and take a look. As you reach the top the road changes, from here to the fort it is a fun place for a little more aggressive riding but still very dangerous, don't get carried away. :o

Note you will be stopped when you enter the fort, you must show your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance to get a pass to ride on the fort. Also note the speed limits are very low and may, or may not, be strictly enforced. You can get gas at main part of the fort, a little north of the road you will be on, ask for directions.

Lex

That road is not far from my house. If you like the tight and twisty you will love Nacimiento Furgusson, I do and it is one of my favorite roads. From Highway 1 you run up a steep hillside. This part of the road requires a lot of care, it is generally dirty (rocks, sand, etc.), has no guardrails and steep cliffs on the outside. Beautiful views of the pacific coast, stop and take a look. As you reach the top the road changes, from here to the fort it is a fun place for a little more aggressive riding but still very dangerous, don't get carried away. :o

Note you will be stopped when you enter the fort, you must show your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance to get a pass to ride on the fort. Also note the speed limits are very low and may, or may not, be strictly enforced. You can get gas at main part of the fort, a little north of the road you will be on, ask for directions.

Lex

Hey thanx Lex, I like scary adventures when taken with common sense. This is exactly what I wanted to know about this road. How long does it take to get from 1 to 101 ,at a careful pace? :o

Hey thanx Lex, I like scary adventures when taken with common sense. This is exactly what I wanted to know about this road. How long does it take to get from 1 to 101 ,at a careful pace? :o

I don't normally go that way so I may be off a bit off but I'd SWAG it at an hour. As a suggestion, you will get to 101 fairly close to King City and you can easily take back roads to highway 25, that makes a nice loop.

Nacimiento Ferguson is a fantastic road. Don't forget you have to have drivers license and proof of insurance (dated) to go through the fort. If you take it east to west, be careful near the end. The views of the ocean are so spectacular it's hard to concentrate on the hairpin switchbacks.

Also note that 4 wheelers tend to just cut across the tight switchbacks leaving mass amounts of debris on the pavement. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

Thanx for the road tips. I am camping at fremont peak between holister and salinas. Going home I'm not sure what would be a better ride. Heading back down the coast and going over nacimiento,down to the 46 and over to Lake Isabella. Or going strait down the 25 to 46 and over. Sound like you guys a quite familliar with both roads. I have'nt ridden either. It will be the end of July so It will probably be hot!

Thanx for the road tips. I am camping at fremont peak between holister and salinas. Going home I'm not sure what would be a better ride. Heading back down the coast and going over nacimiento,down to the 46 and over to Lake Isabella. Or going strait down the 25 to 46 and over. Sound like you guys a quite familliar with both roads. I have'nt ridden either. It will be the end of July so It will probably be hot!

Camping on Fremont Peak? Should be fun. Be prepared for it to be cold and windy at night. If there is a new moon, there will be dozens of amature astronomers up there with their telescopes. If you wander amongst them you'll likely be invited to have a look. I'd also not recommend going up/down that hill at night. It's a pretty technical road and lots of deer in the area.

When I went to Cayucos a few years back, I did 25 to G13 over to King City. Then Jolon Rd. Then Nacimiento Ferguson and down 1 to Cayucos As I recall it was less than 4 hours with a few picture stops along the way. Being summer, it'll be crazy hot on the inland side. Be prepared for a 30-40 degree change in temp between when you enter the fort and when you get to the Ocean. Nice route though.

An alternative would be to do all of 25 then pick up peachtree/Indian Valley Rd. down to San Miguel then down to 58 and take 58 east if that is where you're headed.

Lots of good roads in the area.

Anybody done this? Any thoughts?

I didn't take it. I've nowhere to put something like that.

My guess would be, a Scotsman. They don't like paying for their own roads so the country is all mountains and heathery bog.

We'll be up that way next week so I'll keep an eye out and ask MacGuzzi some probing questions.

PS If you want it back, I'm not paying the postage.

I didn't take it. I've nowhere to put something like that.

My guess would be, a Scotsman. They don't like paying for their own roads so the country is all mountains and heathery bog.

We'll be up that way next week so I'll keep an eye out and ask MacGuzzi some probing questions.

PS If you want it back, I'm not paying the postage.

Don't forget Laddie if it wasnt for Scots you would not have that tar MacCadam stuff or those wretched Dunlop tyres, when we are in Ken Bridge we can go and see the worlds first bicycle.

Camping on Fremont Peak? Should be fun. Be prepared for it to be cold and windy at night. If there is a new moon, there will be dozens of amature astronomers up there with their telescopes. If you wander amongst them you'll likely be invited to have a look. I'd also not recommend going up/down that hill at night. It's a pretty technical road and lots of deer in the area.
Yea, not my first choice of places to stay. It add another 50 unwanted miles and messes up my planned route. I wanted to stay in Big Sur, All full . I am waiting for a cancellation. But I am always up for an adventure I'll make the best of it.

The last night I want to stay in the Morro Bay, Pismo, Arroyo Grande area. Any good campgrounds or cheap hotels?

Yea, not my first choice of places to stay. It add another 50 unwanted miles and messes up my planned route. I wanted to stay in Big Sur, All full . I am waiting for a cancellation. But I am always up for an adventure I'll make the best of it.

The last night I want to stay in the Morro Bay, Pismo, Arroyo Grande area. Any good campgrounds or cheap hotels?

There are some campgrounds on Nacimiento Ferguson Road between Fort Hunter Liggett and the coast. Being pretty far off hwy 1, you may find space there. Also I've seen people just camp on the side of the road. Since it's national forest, it's legal as long as your not obstructing traffic.