Vapor lock, most unfun

ALdad

Yeah, you could try Lordco - I found it out at the airport (Lindair service desk IIRC). I had a look last night but I think I gave it all to Nicola a few years ago.

It's good stuff - really thick insulation. I think you could lie it against the head and not have a problem.

Aeroquip Firesleeve http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...k=KeywordSearch

I don't remember the size... I'll have to look if there is a visible # on the sleeve as they don't give any ID sizing in the Summit catalog. Lindair sold it by the foot, Summit you have to buy 5ft. You only need a foot of it.

here's another that has ID sizes http://www.hosexpress.com/hydraulic/accessories/624.htm

Some of the sleevesare not shiny, I wonder how effective a non metalized type sleeve would be as does not reflect heat . I think it is more for protecting against momentary flame and molten metal exposure.Like in welding applications. Just a thought.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another field solution might be to install a purge valve in the supply line. You could then open this valve in the field during a VL event, and purge vapor and fuel onto the ground to clear the line. This would simplify the otherwise irritating problem of breaking out some tools to remove the supply line from the petcock. Just a thought.

Al

I like that idea.

I would think the best placement would be just before the fuel pump, but the valve may be more prone to transferring heat to the fuel.

So we might have to place the valve by the petcock, but would that work?

Maybe the hose needs more of disconnection than a relief valve, since the petcock is already functioning as a relief valve.

Another idea might be to put the fuel pump on a cool down timer, but then we might come back to a dead battery :huh:

Some of the sleevesare not shiny, I wonder how effective a non metalized type sleeve would be as does not reflect heat . I think it is more for protecting against momentary flame and molten metal exposure.Like in welding applications. Just a thought.

Any insulation should help but if you are going to bother, it seems like getting the metalized sleeve would be the way to go.

I never had the problem, but I used split plain black heater hose where the fuel line is closest to the engine. If it was aluminized, I'd be more confident.

It's more insulation than reflection. The stuff I used is really thick fiberglass weave covered with a flame proof coating. I don't think you'd find a better insulator from ambient heat.

As Al says, it slides on in a couple of minutes and really should be the first attempt at solving the problem. It's been successful for me so far.

• 2 weeks later...
It's more insulation than reflection. The stuff I used is really thick fiberglass weave covered with a flame proof coating. I don't think you'd find a better insulator from ambient heat.

As Al says, it slides on in a couple of minutes and really should be the first attempt at solving the problem. It's been successful for me so far.

I too have run into a vapor locking condition. After reading these posts I can only think of one thing that has changed in the last several years. The fuel is getting blended with more and more ethanol. Could this be the issue? Maybe. <_ the boiling point is lower>

This is causing all sorts of other issues with my other machines. Specifically water in the float bowls of the carbs.

I will try the insulated hose and relocating the fuel pump.

Thanks Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought, is the affected fuel line (petcock to pump) S/S braided? Otherwise maybe that is an option? It won't give insulation of course, but reflection.

Just a thought, is the affected fuel line (petcock to pump) S/S braided? Otherwise maybe that is an option? It won't give insulation of course, but reflection.

Mine (2000) is ss braided. I swapped the pump filter location. Did not wrap the line (shortened to fit better). No more problems with V. L.

Wrapping with H Hose could do the trick and is easier.

Later

• 1 month later...
So i want to go the insulation route what size do i need to get to fit around the gas lines?

Call Summit racing 800-230-3030. Get the SUM-350106 aluminized sleeve I think it's the one inch. I used two layers, but changed the line and no longer have the metal braid. Also get the blanket of the same meterial. Wrap the pump and the fuel line. I have had no problems since and have ridden some hot days. I also switched to a manual petcock from MPH cycles.