V11 - air filter replacement question.

Guest Britcheflee

Guest Britcheflee

Just finished changing out all the oil on my V11 Billybob - just have to change out the air filter now - I have a question: Do I need to completely remove the fuel tank to gain access to the air filter box?

I have removed the rear retaining bolt and it moves up a ways but not enough to get to the air filter box.

If so, please can you give me an basic step by step guide to do this.

I think I may need to go for a long ride as I just filled up the tank to the brim with gas as well!

Lee

Just finished changing out all the oil on my V11 Billybob - just have to change out the air filter now - I have a question: Do I need to completely remove the fuel tank to gain access to the air filter box?

I have removed the rear retaining bolt and it moves up a ways but not enough to get to the air filter box.

I think I may need to go for a long ride as I just filled up the tank to the brim with gas as well!

Lee

You could siphon off some of the gas into your lawn mower. Since your fuel pump is in the gas tank I'm not familiar how those hoses are disconnected. Directions are posted here somewhere. Once you've raised the gas tank some you can reach under and disconnect the hoses that reach up to the gas cap.

Lee

Either go burn some gas of, or connect a fuel line to the manual petcock you have, and drain it into a jerry can. The tank has to come off.

Steve

It is not a huge PITA. I've had the tank off my LeMans about a half dozen times. Having the external fuel pump puts the fuel pressure regulator a tight squeeze against the air box. The electrical lines are snug against the spine so fouling should not be an issue. Reaching under to reconnect those lines at the filler can be a chore.

There's a trick to get the tank off without scratching up the airbox that someone here clued me in on a while back. After you disconnect the fuel lines and pull the bolt at the back of the tank, lift the back of the tank up and slide it back as far as you can, then lift the front of the tank so it clears the mounting bumpers, slide the tank forward, pivot it up to remove the connections underneath, then lift it off the bike.

Tank removal thread in the how to section: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...332&hl=tank

Guest Ferank

It doesnt take very long at all...

I wont have to take the tank off the wash my filters in the future...

97498316.jpg

Guest Britcheflee

I have two questions: How big a job is it to convert to the air filters you have? And where did you get the bike jack/lift you have/

Thats a nice looking bike!

Lee

Guest Ferank

It didn't take very long. The filters are RU-0600 from Autozone ($50).

The breather hose should be extended (4ft of 5/16 hose). I needed a small clamp for one of the breather hoses.

You'll need to cut the intake runner. I used a saw.

There is an air intake sensor that should be protected as well. Some use a film container, some strap it to a frame, I used a ear plug plastic canister I found in my garage.

That should be about it. It is much louder than it was. I have Ti pipes and matching ECU.

As for the stand, it came with the bike. I think he bought it from the dealer.

The stand is a Guzzi part. They specify it as a "workshop stand". I have 2, one for the V11, one for the 1100. They are very good...