GPS

gstallons

What is your favorite GPS unit? I want one for me to use on two wheels and for my daughter when she is travelling on four wheels. After looking around I find there are TOO many to choose from!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Garmin Zumo that I like a lot. It is made for bikes, so it is water resistent and easy to operate with gloves on. It also came with a car set up that pops right in to my truck. I believe only the 550 comes with the car set up, the 450 doesn't.

Have only had the one and my brothers to compare. My brother just upgraded his to a Zumo as well. I guess he didn't like his youger brother "out teching" him.

Big fan of my Garmin Zumo as well, though I only have the cheaper 200 model. I haven't had problem one with it, and the interface is really user friendly. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a pda/ windows mobile/integrated sirfstar gps ...very flexible...many programs to choose from...

and does more things, than a dedicated navigation unit.

I have a mio 550 (no mobile phone),..and it works fine with destinator 7.0.

There are available many new models.

I prefer a pda/ windows mobile/integrated sirfstar gps ...very flexible...many programs to choose from...

and does more things, than a dedicated navigation unit.

I have a mio 550 (no mobile phone),..and it works fine with destinator 7.0.

There are available many new models.

In my humble opinion these SUCK! Please don't take it personal. I have yet to see a Microsoft based PDA that doesn't drain its batteries in a day without even being used. I hate them. I hate them. I hate them. Also, my current one (a Siemens Loox) needs a §½@¤& STACK of adapters (a wiggly stack protruding like 8 cm from the device) for connecting to a car outlet. What a joke. These were not designed for being used in the Real World, that is for sure. Maybe I've just been unlucky. A windows based mobile phone I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Maybe repeatedly with a Louisville Slugger though.

:P Sorry. Accumulated frustration?

The best PDA/GPS I ever had was a Garmin with a Palm OS. It didn't have the latest and greatest GPS chip but it was excellent until I dropped it to the floor for the n:th time and the display broke. At that time, these beautys weren't produced anymore because Garmin went with the herd and are now using that dreaded Microsoft joke OS. :homer:

I will go for a dedicated motorcycle GPS :thumbsup: but they are darn expensive.

I have yet to see a Microsoft based PDA that doesn't drain its batteries in a day without even being used.

that"s right...but with 5 euro I bought a female connector from a supermarket, and adding a fuse at the positive,

I have power from bike battery, so no worry about pda batteries...

I will go for a dedicated motorcycle GPS :thumbsup: but they are darn expensive.

Since no electronic device lives in my hands more than a year, I prefer something cheaper

Number one criterion is the map coverage of the country you live,....Garmin was no good up to now,...

lately cooperating with Greek map companies coverage improved....

I admit they are well made.....but very expensive.

The Garmin 550 Zumo is my first GPS. It certainly has its faults as a navigation tool, but has given me the opportunity to cover some roads I would otherwise not have gone.

Other riders tell me its advantages are: the US version has all of NA already loaded, fast recalculation time, it 'keeps up' well at brisk road speeds ( you don't often ride by a turn before the Zumo catches it), the screen brightness and touch features are an improvement over many previous models.

Hey and they're getting cheaper (aren't they?)

IMG_4388.jpg

Number one criterion is the map coverage of the country you live,....Garmin was no good up to now,...

lately cooperating with Greek map companies coverage improved....

I admit they are well made.....but very expensive.

Garmin is expensive because their mapping software seems to beat everyone else's hollow. This may be related to why it took so long for them to get decent coverage for Greece; conversion of someone else's maps to their own format probably took some time.

It seems to be easy to get a Garmin 350/360 in the $200 range - but how important is the motorcycle only version? Joe

A unit made for motorcycles should have a brighter screen display as well as being water proof(or near to it). It should also have controls that are easier to work with a gloved left hand. The unit my brother had before his Zumo had the controls on the right side and they were hard to work with gloves on.

I'd like to see some ways to mount a gps on the Lemans models with clipons and fairing. While I own 4 gps units I have figured out a clean way to mount one on the LeMans without obstructing the other instruments. Is there a way to make use of the mirror mount threads near the fluid reservoirs, I wonder?