What tools do I need?

Guest parvo

Guest parvo

I know this is a stupid question, but I'm not very mechanical. I want to start doing my own fluid changes and valve adjustments. What tools do I need to buy that aren't in a generic tool box? And where in the US do I buy them?

Thanks.

Guest parvo

While I'm at it, if there is a guzzi owner in Denver, I'd love to come over the next time you do maintenance and watch so I can learn. I'd even buy beer!

You can do most things with a standard metric socket set, a few metric spanners, and some metric allen keys. The only regular maintenance item I can think of that needs a special tool is, surprisingly, changing the oil filter - you need a tool to get the cover off the bottom of the sump, and another to get the filter out. However, you can get round this by dropping the sump using an allen key. This method has the advantage that you can then attach a hose clamp to the new filter - there's plenty written in this forum about why this is probably a good idea. (Plus a few voices of dissent). Oh, and you will find that greasing the front UJ is a pain unless you have a suitable angled grease gun attachment. Again, plenty written about this in the forum.

You can use the rear axle nut to remove the man-hole cover with the supplied wrench, but that does not help getting the filter out part. (A screwdriver through the filter is a no no, search forum for damage done like this.) A machinist here once made a combo nut and filter wrench that fit a 1/2 ratchet and offered a few for sale.(I maybe mistaken about the sale part) But it looked VERY nice. But do invest in some decent tools. Sears Professional Line work well and are affordable, the tools that come with the bike are really only good for an emergency.