need driveshaft help

velofish

Recently got new tires on the 2000 V11 sport. Decided to lube the front uj while I was at it. Pulled the rear box and driveshaft to check the splines. Splines OK.

All went well until I tried to slide the shaft back together. Lined up the marks, but it won't go the final half inch. I can't get it on enough to get the axle into the rear tire.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

John

Did you pump grease into the front and rear zerks while the shaft was apart? If you did then I would say that it probably has too much grease in there. I know that when I pump grease into the rear zerk the shaft will expand & thats when I know that its full enough.

It could be that you just need a little more practice getting the rear wheel back on there too. Its very hard to tell without getting a look at it.

Thanks Richard. It's not a hard thump when I push the shaft back in, so you're probably right, I put too much grease in.

So onto dumb question number two-- how do I get the grease out?

John

You might try removing the zerk fitting and see if the grease will scooge out through the threaded hole. Otherwise, pull it apart and scoop it out.

When you remove the grease fitting this will allow the excess grease to come out when you push the driveshaft back together. Make sure the driveshaft is in time (this is when both yokes in a straght up and down position) when sliding the tubes together.Some shafts are made to where the splines will go together ONLY one way. After reassembly you can grease the slip yoke grease fitting.

Good luck!

Thanks Guys. I got it all back together yesterday (Sunday). Saturday was one of those hot days here and I ended up working with the sweat pouring down into my eyes and covering myself pretty comprehensively with a coat of grease. fecking miserable. To top it off, I have one of those hydraulic benches but didn't have the sport up there for the work, so ended up on the floor covered in pig sweat and grease. I just couldn't think my way around the problem so I drank beer instead.

Removing the zerk worked great.

fish

This sounds silly, but velofish's post makes me think if there's anything wrong with my driveshaft. When I took it apart and greased the front zerk a while ago, I was careful to put it back together with the marks lined up (checked the U-joint crosses too). I never had a problem installing back the wheel axle. However, there's a gap between the two shaft parts, enough that about 1/4 in or so of bare metal from the front part still shows. :huh2: What gives? Should I worry?

This sounds silly, but velofish's post makes me think if there's anything wrong with my driveshaft. When I took it apart and greased the front zerk a while ago, I was careful to put it back together with the marks lined up (checked the U-joint crosses too). I never had a problem installing back the wheel axle. However, there's a gap between the two shaft parts, enough that about 1/4 in or so of bare metal from the front part still shows. :huh2: What gives? Should I worry?

When I pump grease into mine the shafts will start to separate or expand if you will. Thats when I know that it has enough grease in it. You can put quite a bit in there but it will end up all over the rim & tire when you go for a ride.

When I pump grease into mine the shafts will start to separate or expand if you will. Thats when I know that it has enough grease in it. You can put quite a bit in there but it will end up all over the rim & tire when you go for a ride.
Thanks. After I greased the driveshaft I wiped off all the extra grease that had leaked and kept an eye on any further leaks. But the driveshaft is still "detached" in the middle.

tmcafe,

I took mine apart and greased everything a while back and mine also has about a 1/4" of shiny shaft showing. Was like that before I disassembled it also.

Not to worry.

Thanks. That sounds better. The extra portion then maybe to allow for some sliding to compensate for heat expansion, or some compression of the two parts due to the motion of the swingarm? It still looks weird, as if it's not fully assembled.

Thanks. That sounds better. The extra portion then maybe to allow for some sliding to compensate for heat expansion, or some compression of the two parts due to the motion of the swingarm? It still looks weird, as if it's not fully assembled.

The radius created by the swingarm pins to the rear axle and the radius of the driveshaft's arc are differant. That requires the driveshaft to lengthen or shorten as the swingarm moves through it's range. If you stand on the left side, lean over the seat and bounce the bike up and down, you'll see a little movement. The pot holes around here cause my ring to be quite wide!!! :o