SHIFT RETURN SPRING: BEATING A DEAD HORSE?

WRC

I have the '02 LeMans and have read the FAQ about this topic. I'm going to order a spring as a spare, but have a question about pulling off the plate to replace the spring and check the boss diameter.

When you unbolt the plate/cover, according to the diagram in the parts book, it looks like the whole assembly in question is attached/mounted to the plate.

Looks like you just pop off the c-clip, pull back the boss and put the new spring on.

When you reinstall the plate, what has to be aligned? Do things fall back in place without any fuss or do certain parts have to be aligned carefully, etc? Should the transmission be in a specific gear or neutral prior to removing the plate?

I hate to pull off covers and things fall off or get out of time, etc. Any step by step hints will be greatly appreciated.

In the FAQ there was a note about frame numbers that had the problem. Is this acurate, if mine is a higher number I would not need to be concerned?

Thanks

Bob Collett

Lexington, NC

...When you reinstall the plate, what has to be aligned? Do things fall back in place without any fuss or do certain parts have to be aligned carefully, etc? Should the transmission be in a specific gear or neutral prior to removing the plate?...

Put it in neutral, selector forks spaced equidistant on shafts, short spaced detente on selector mechanism. You'll need a cut down allen key to access bolt at lower edge of cover. I think there's a very full description of job on previous threads ?

KB :sun:

The toughest part of the spring change for me was getting the selector cover back on because I didn't fully understand how to align the forks in the gearbox. Once I went back and read a bunch of threads here I found KB's tip on how to position the forks correctly :notworthy: . To clarify (?) what KB said, you need to slide each of the selector forks inside the transmission to the middle of their travel range on their respective rods before installing the selector cover, which must have the shifter/shift drum in the neutral position.

Something that I did which I thinked helped a bit was I made sure the shifter was in neutral before I removed the selector plate, then I made a mark across the gear teeth on the selector plate so I could find neutral easily when I reassembled the selector mechanism.

Good luck!

...I made sure the shifter was in neutral before I removed the selector plate, then I made a mark across the gear teeth on the selector plate so I could find neutral easily when I reassembled the selector mechanism...

Yeah, I think some come with alignment punch on selector wheels (called seeger rings in manual), some don't. Pic shows wheels aligned for neutral. Short spaced indent (between 1st & 2nd) behind top wheel is selected by mechanism.

KB :sun:

GBOX_SELECTOR_PLATE.jpg

• 13 years later...

About to pull cover bike is stuck in 6th do I turn the seeger gears I guess they are called to get to neutral or how does that work.  I understand remove clips and pull gears but I dont quite understand how to get to neutral...  Thought I would ask before I wade in.

5 hours ago, dbarb3 said:

About to pull cover bike is stuck in 6th

There's a lot of info here: 

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20201-re-engineering-the-shift-spring/page/52/#elControls_272756_menu

If the selector spring is broken, the only way to change gears I know of is to pull off the cover. Then you can slide the 4 selector forks around to get neutral. Then you turn the cam wheels to match.

BTW a seeger ring is also known as circlip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2009 at 12:01 AM, WRC said:

I have the '02 LeMans and have read the FAQ about this topic. I'm going to order a spring as a spare, but have a question about pulling off the plate to replace the spring and check the boss diameter.

When you unbolt the plate/cover, according to the diagram in the parts book, it looks like the whole assembly in question is attached/mounted to the plate.

Looks like you just pop off the c-clip, pull back the boss and put the new spring on.

When you reinstall the plate, what has to be aligned? Do things fall back in place without any fuss or do certain parts have to be aligned carefully, etc? Should the transmission be in a specific gear or neutral prior to removing the plate?

I hate to pull off covers and things fall off or get out of time, etc. Any step by step hints will be greatly appreciated.

In the FAQ there was a note about frame numbers that had the problem. Is this acurate, if mine is a higher number I would not need to be concerned?

Thanks

Bob Collett

Lexington, NC

• Thanks 1