Front brake switch

Gio

Front brake lever no longer activates the brake light (rear works fine) but micro switch seems ok (0 ohms closed - so I think the dreaded "little ball" is missing ... can someone confirm where it should be located (presumably between the micro switch and lever mechanism - ie can it fall out if just micro switch removed ..?)

Gio

yes, it can fall out if the micro switch is removed. It sets between the switch and the adjustable pin on the lever itself.

I've already replaced my switch once, so don't dismiss that possibility offhand if you haven't had the switch out.

If you lost the ball, I think (think!) it was about the same size as something like bicycle head bearings. You could get one at any bike shop. Maybe take your lever with you since it has a depression in it that should match the ball radius. :huh2:

Front brake lever no longer activates the brake light (rear works fine) but micro switch seems ok (0 ohms closed - so I think the dreaded "little ball" is missing ... can someone confirm where it should be located (presumably between the micro switch and lever mechanism - ie can it fall out if just micro switch removed ..?)

Gio

Thanks - I suspected as much ...

yes, it can fall out if the micro switch is removed. It sets between the switch and the adjustable pin on the lever itself.

I've already replaced my switch once, so don't dismiss that possibility offhand if you haven't had the switch out.

If you lost the ball, I think (think!) it was about the same size as something like bicycle head bearings. You could get one at any bike shop. Maybe take your lever with you since it has a depression in it that should match the ball radius. :huh2:

Thanks for all replies - turns out the ball was still where it should be but completely coated in grime - a few squirts of ye old WD-40 and all is well again ...

Gio

The ball is 5mm dia.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

So my switch just gave up the farm - but strange, it shows conductivity with the multimeter, but does not turn the light on or off, if I jump the contacts on the switch, the brake light goes on... Must be low/bad conductivity? Any guess's?

Jamie

So my switch just gave up the farm - but strange, it shows conductivity with the multimeter, but does not turn the light on or off, if I jump the contacts on the switch, the brake light goes on... Must be low/bad conductivity? Any guess's?

Jamie

You are using a DVOM? That's why.

Jamie

Jamie,

You've cleaned and crimped the spade connections? They are bad about loosening up and getting corroded. Also, be sure you can hear the tiny "click-click" as you squeeze and release the lever. Remove the lever (don't loose the puck!), clean the channel and puck and reassemble with some light lubricant. Be certain the tiny machine screws that hold the switch are tight and both still have their tiny nuts. The switch can loosen in its mount and become unreliable.

Upon reassembly, Brembo lever pins are retained by a stamped steel "nut" on the underside. If it drops off, the pin can pop out and the lever falls off. Simply "zip-tying" the hollow pin is good prevention!