The size of Australia

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Golly gosh. Is this really the size of Australia?

Size%20of%20Australia%20Comparison%201.jpg

Thing is most of the people live in the thin strip down the East Coast roughly where the European countries end. The vast majority of them live in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne!

Almost the whole area covered by Europe is a hot, dry, miserable desert full of nothing but Emu's, Roo's and lost tourists drinking their own urine!

What makes us the 'Lucky Country' is the fact that the bit covered by Spain and the North Atlantic is basically a huge lump of Iron, Copper and Bauxite. The bit covered by the UK and the Republic of Ireland is essentially a big lump of Uranium! The bit covered by Bulgaria and the Black Sea is a massive lump of Coal! :D

Our population is about 22 million of whom a good 2/3rds live in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide and rarely leave them. That leaves plenty of space for the rest of us!!!!

Pete

Thing is most of the people live in the thin strip down the East Coast roughly where the European countries end. The vast majority of them live in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne!

Almost the whole area covered by Europe is a hot, dry, miserable desert full of nothing but Emu's, Roo's and lost tourists drinking their own urine!

What makes us the 'Lucky Country' is the fact that the bit covered by Spain and the North Atlantic is basically a huge lump of Iron, Copper and Bauxite. The bit covered by the UK and the Republic of Ireland is essentially a big lump of Uranium! The bit covered by Bulgaria and the Black Sea is a massive lump of Coal! :D

Our population is about 22 million of whom a good 2/3rds live in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide and rarely leave them. That leaves plenty of space for the rest of us!!!!

Pete

Pete, you gotta write a book, "quotes of Pete Roper", it'll sell a million. Brilliant, best laugh in a week!!

Steve

QUOTE (Steve G. @ Aug 30 2009, 02:06 PM) *

Too bad most of the stuff in the middle is unhabitable...

So same as in Europe then?

Oh, I'm not so sure about that. Of course just a visitor, but I spent the best holiday of my life last Sept. riding Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Lichtenstein. Absolutely glorious time!!!

Steve

Favorite Land of Oz factoid: West Australia is FIVE TIMES the size of Alaska and has 1 million people almost all of whom live in the south-west corner of the state near Perth. Tourists drinking their urine indeed!

Great map, it will be helpful when trying to explain how big Australia is to a European. Anybody seen a map with Europe over the US and/ or Canada? The continental US is about the same size as OZ, Canada is even bigger.

Its been ten years since I've been down there and almost that long since I've been to NZ, I'm way over due for a visit. :bier:

Lex

....since I've been to NZ, I'm way over due for a visit. :bier:

Lex

and did I hear on the radio the other day that NZ is the about the same land mass as GB, but with a population of only 4 million?

and did I hear on the radio the other day that NZ is the about the same land mass as GB, but with a population of only 4 million?

That's about right. Maybe a few more than 4 mill nowadays but not many.. About 1.5 mill of them live in Dorkland. It's a stunning place, fantastic roads and scenery.

Pete