CRABBING the spine frame

docc

Many thanks to Pete Roper, down-under Guzzi guru from the Wildgoose board.

My dealer assured me the procedure to change the gearbox is to sling the bike to the ceiling and lower the driveline out of it. Pete had put me on to the technique of tipping the frame forward ( "crabbing") for access to the box and the clutch.

I chocked the front wheel in a 'sport chock' and strapped the frame to the ceiling. After releasing the rear frame elements and loosening the front frame bolts , the engine could be supported on a broad support under the sump while the frame is tilted up to expose the gearbox, and thereafter, the clutch.

Once the new gearbox was in place the frame was tilted back down and buttoned back up. Much less hassle than splitting the frame off the driveline and disconnecting all the harness, lines and cables.

:luigi::luigi::luigi:

• 3 weeks later...
OK, here's the technologicaly adapted version: :nerd:

Doc

why did you take the gearbox out, were just curious to see how it works?

Shaun :lol:

Er, let's see, the dealer got so frustrated fixing leaks that when the shifting went south he required Guzzi to replace the gearbox. Five months and 80+ e-mails later the new box is in the Sport.

For an exhaustive post , go here

• 2 months later...

Oh Gawd!here we go, I promised myself I wouldn't join this forum for two reasons. 1.I spend far too much time on the bloody 'Pooter anyway and 2. Most of my limited knowledge pre-dates your newer models and while I like them I have no real desire to own one, (yet, they ain't cheap enough yet :P ).

On the subject of crabbing the frame though, (I haven't done it on a six speeder yet.) I usually find it easier to take both the sideplates off. it only takes a couple more minutes but I find it allows you to see more easily if you've disconected everything and you can clean up the rotten earth paths while you're in there.

No doubt though there are a million and one far more skilled and experienced people here than me so I'll bugger off back into my burrow.

Cheers.

Pete

No doubt though there are a million and one far more skilled and experienced people here than me so I'll bugger off back into my burrow.

Doubtful Pete, very doubtful. Interestingly enough, it isn't too difficult to pull the spine off of the entire drivetrain - if it weren't for one bloody nut on the backside of the right porkchop. THAT one requires removing the swingarm. Next time I'll just grind down a box wrench...